Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1290507 times)

Vas Deferens

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #2535 on: May 22, 2017, 09:48:32 am »
How were Tyvek?  Probably the best band on that bill.

Caught the Make-Up on Saturday at the BlackCat.  Ian has never had any vocal range.  It didn't bother me in Nation of Ulysses but has always kind of killed the Make-Up for me musically.  Live though, they are still a blast.  Everything from the polyester gold suites to the crowd banter was a blast.

Pretty sure Azanghal was there and that Ian surprised him a little bit by entering the crowd above him. 

I could use a Nation of Ulysses reunion right about now though.
(_|_)

Bagley

« Reply #2536 on: May 22, 2017, 01:50:08 pm »
Pleasantly surprised with the opener for Real Estate Tuesday night-  Frankie Comsos.  She (Greta) reminded me of Waxahatchee but with more energy and zest.  She seemed genuinely honored to be opening for RE.... They're headlining a  sold out  Ottobar tonight.

How was the Real Estate show? I caught it in Philly...was slightly underwhelmed. I love their records and I just don't get the same vibe from their music in a live setting. Plus, I'm not sure I loved the song selection. They have so many good tunes they didn't perform.

I hear ya Bearman.  Talking Backwards was the only song that came alive for me. I saw them once before, in an outdoor setting and they seemed more engrossed. They're like a vapid version of the Feelies.  Soft, a little too pleasant, MOR.....  Honestly, I was so impressed with Frankie Cosmos,  Real Estate was nothing but a letdown.  Did you catch them in Philly?

bearman🐻

« Reply #2537 on: May 22, 2017, 02:10:53 pm »
Pleasantly surprised with the opener for Real Estate Tuesday night-  Frankie Comsos.  She (Greta) reminded me of Waxahatchee but with more energy and zest.  She seemed genuinely honored to be opening for RE.... They're headlining a  sold out  Ottobar tonight.

How was the Real Estate show? I caught it in Philly...was slightly underwhelmed. I love their records and I just don't get the same vibe from their music in a live setting. Plus, I'm not sure I loved the song selection. They have so many good tunes they didn't perform.

I hear ya Bearman.  Talking Backwards was the only song that came alive for me. I saw them once before, in an outdoor setting and they seemed more engrossed. They're like a vapid version of the Feelies.  Soft, a little too pleasant, MOR.....  Honestly, I was so impressed with Frankie Cosmos,  Real Estate was nothing but a letdown.  Did you catch them in Philly?

I did, and agree with you 1000%. I'm so glad it wasn't just me. And I really, really like them. "Atlas" and "Days" are phenomenal records. But that magic isn't there in a live setting. I guess what annoyed me is that there are SO many songs that they could have played that would have made it a more pleasant experience, and they neglected them. Is it that hard to ask fans what they enjoy hearing, and altering the setlist a bit accordingly? It's almost like they don't even know what their identity as a band is. And four LPs in, that's not a good sign.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 02:12:44 pm by bearman »

Yada

« Reply #2538 on: May 22, 2017, 02:15:26 pm »

I did, and agree with you 1000%. I'm so glad it wasn't just me. And I really, really like them. "Atlas" and "Days" are phenomenal records. But that magic isn't there in a live setting. I guess what annoyed me is that there are SO many songs that they could have played that would have made it a more pleasant experience, and they neglected them. Is it that hard to ask fans what they enjoy hearing, and altering the setlist a bit accordingly? It's almost like they don't even know what their identity as a band is. And four LPs in, that's not a good sign.

My assumption is they're touring on behalf of their new album, which is a snoozer... So I'm not surprised the show fell flat. I've seen them once at the Black Cat circa 2009 or 10 and it was a great show, but they primarly played their self titled album which is perfection.

Also, Ducktails dude leaving the band probably doesn't help much.

hutch

« Reply #2539 on: May 22, 2017, 02:18:26 pm »
why do so many bands want to record snoozers??'

I WANNA ROCK!!!!!!!!!!! rock rock rock

if anybody knows any new bands kinda like bon scott AC/DC coming to DC let me know..thanks in advance

gavroche

« Reply #2540 on: May 22, 2017, 02:22:20 pm »
How were Tyvek?  Probably the best band on that bill.

Caught the Make-Up on Saturday at the BlackCat.  Ian has never had any vocal range.  It didn't bother me in Nation of Ulysses but has always kind of killed the Make-Up for me musically.  Live though, they are still a blast.  Everything from the polyester gold suites to the crowd banter was a blast.

Pretty sure Azanghal was there and that Ian surprised him a little bit by entering the crowd above him. 

I could use a Nation of Ulysses reunion right about now though.

I know a lot of people that are really into Tyvek, but for me they was only ok. After about the 4th song it all kind of sounded the same.  I also was probably too close to the stage for the mix to be ok.   I actually enjoyed Permanent Waves more than Tyvek.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 04:29:30 pm by gavroche »

Vas Deferens

« Reply #2541 on: May 22, 2017, 02:45:17 pm »
Agree with this......new one is such a letdown.

My assumption is they're touring on behalf of their new album, which is a snoozer... So I'm not surprised the show fell flat. I've seen them once at the Black Cat circa 2009 or 10 and it was a great show, but they primarly played their self titled album which is perfection.

Also, Ducktails dude leaving the band probably doesn't help much.
(_|_)

bearman🐻

« Reply #2542 on: May 25, 2017, 08:19:04 am »
I really don't get Bon Iver. But clearly I'm in the minority. I have never seen a GA pit THAT packed at Merriweather, and so was the pavilion. There were a good amount of people on the lawn too. A friend of mine had an extra ticket, so I went. I'm glad I checked it out, just so that I can keep up with the way music is changing, but it kinda just made me feel disconnected. What was also weird is how Justin kept that audience's attention. That is not music that I would say is suited for a huge amount of people, but then again, what do I know? Merriweather is definitely one of my very favorite outdoor/big venues. It may not be the Hollywood Bowl (still haven't been to the Gorge or Red Rocks yet), but it's always a great place to see a show.

Yada

« Reply #2543 on: May 25, 2017, 08:32:42 am »
I really don't get Bon Iver. But clearly I'm in the minority. I have never seen a GA pit THAT packed at Merriweather, and so was the pavilion. There were a good amount of people on the lawn too. A friend of mine had an extra ticket, so I went. I'm glad I checked it out, just so that I can keep up with the way music is changing, but it kinda just made me feel disconnected. What was also weird is how Justin kept that audience's attention. That is not music that I would say is suited for a huge amount of people, but then again, what do I know? Merriweather is definitely one of my very favorite outdoor/big venues. It may not be the Hollywood Bowl (still haven't been to the Gorge or Red Rocks yet), but it's always a great place to see a show.

I agree... I really liked his first album but after that, I really don't get it either.

Hopefully you caught Hiss Golden Messenger.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2544 on: May 25, 2017, 08:59:04 am »
I posted on social media a few weeks back that I felt like a traitor to my generation because I do not understand the appeal of Bon Iver.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #2545 on: May 25, 2017, 09:06:50 am »

I agree... I really liked his first album but after that, I really don't get it either.

After catching them on Youtube, I made a point of missing them when they opened for DBT. That allowed me time for an extra beer at Churchkey.

Yada

« Reply #2546 on: May 25, 2017, 09:22:27 am »

After catching them on Youtube, I made a point of missing them when they opened for DBT. That allowed me time for an extra beer at Churchkey.

Your opinion means nothing to me.

herman otto

« Reply #2547 on: May 25, 2017, 09:35:47 am »
I think, he hears that, a,lot.

bearman🐻

« Reply #2548 on: May 25, 2017, 09:37:09 am »
I missed HGM but I'll check out some stuff online. I have never seen the GA pit at Merriweather THAT packed. It was actually uncomfortable. Thank God it was a cool night.

Space Freely

« Reply #2549 on: May 25, 2017, 10:09:46 am »

Your opinion means nothing to me.

Oh come now, this is the very definition of boring, and that mustache is shit. I mean who the hell ever wears a mustache other than 80 year old firemen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXGRZLe7KYY