Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1286827 times)

challenged

• Instagram
Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #2565 on: May 25, 2017, 03:01:15 pm »
No Bon here; but have enjoyed HGM in concert. And, love the rollingstone,s

Space Freely

« Reply #2566 on: May 25, 2017, 03:07:27 pm »
I really don't get Bon Iver. But clearly I'm in the minority. I have never seen a GA pit THAT packed at Merriweather, and so was the pavilion. There were a good amount of people on the lawn too. A friend of mine had an extra ticket, so I went. I'm glad I checked it out, just so that I can keep up with the way music is changing, but it kinda just made me feel disconnected. What was also weird is how Justin kept that audience's attention. That is not music that I would say is suited for a huge amount of people, but then again, what do I know? Merriweather is definitely one of my very favorite outdoor/big venues. It may not be the Hollywood Bowl (still haven't been to the Gorge or Red Rocks yet), but it's always a great place to see a show.

I agree... I really liked his first album but after that, I really don't get it either.

Hopefully you caught Hiss Golden Messenger.

After catching them on Youtube, I made a point of missing them when they opened for DBT. That allowed me time for an extra beer at Churchkey.

Your opinion means nothing to me.

Oh come now, this is the very definition of boring, and that mustache is shit. I mean who the hell ever wears a mustache other than 80 year old firemen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXGRZLe7KYY

Weren't you at a DBT show??? Speakin' of boring...

As the board's biggest alt-country fan, get yourself a 3.25oz pour of your finest cellared beer, listen to Lateness of Dancers from start to finish and come back tomorrow with a valid opinion.

I'll give it a try, but from all I've heard, they're generic as hell (even for an admittedly generic genre like alt-country), like The War on Drugs without any catchy tunes.

bearman🐻

« Reply #2567 on: May 25, 2017, 03:30:25 pm »

Funny, the show last night had a similar vibe. Very little talking. Been a long time since I've seen that level of reverence from the audience. Reminded me of the time I saw Elliott Smith solo acoustic at the Black Cat.

You, lucky devil, you

Seeing Elliott solo, just him and his guitar, was a pretty special thing. Everything about that guy was special. He was something else. There's never been anyone like him since and I don't think there will be.

Space Freely

« Reply #2568 on: May 26, 2017, 09:23:21 am »
I really don't get Bon Iver. But clearly I'm in the minority. I have never seen a GA pit THAT packed at Merriweather, and so was the pavilion. There were a good amount of people on the lawn too. A friend of mine had an extra ticket, so I went. I'm glad I checked it out, just so that I can keep up with the way music is changing, but it kinda just made me feel disconnected. What was also weird is how Justin kept that audience's attention. That is not music that I would say is suited for a huge amount of people, but then again, what do I know? Merriweather is definitely one of my very favorite outdoor/big venues. It may not be the Hollywood Bowl (still haven't been to the Gorge or Red Rocks yet), but it's always a great place to see a show.

I agree... I really liked his first album but after that, I really don't get it either.

Hopefully you caught Hiss Golden Messenger.

After catching them on Youtube, I made a point of missing them when they opened for DBT. That allowed me time for an extra beer at Churchkey.

Your opinion means nothing to me.

Oh come now, this is the very definition of boring, and that mustache is shit. I mean who the hell ever wears a mustache other than 80 year old firemen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXGRZLe7KYY

Weren't you at a DBT show??? Speakin' of boring...

As the board's biggest alt-country fan, get yourself a 3.25oz pour of your finest cellared beer, listen to Lateness of Dancers from start to finish and come back tomorrow with a valid opinion.

I'll give it a try, but from all I've heard, they're generic as hell (even for an admittedly generic genre like alt-country), like The War on Drugs without any catchy tunes.

So I split a pint of an Aslin DIPA with my wife last night with dinner and then queued up a youtube mix of Hiss Golden Messenger and asked her what she thought of it.

"Boring, innocuous, Jack Johnson shit." Then a minute later "Turn this shitty music off."

I did not turn it off, it played through three HGM songs and then inexplicable started playing War on Drugs songs.

She says the same kind of things about music that she even knows that I like.  :(

Got Haggis?

« Reply #2569 on: May 26, 2017, 02:41:25 pm »
first time seeing Sigur Ros last night and thought they were incredible. LED game was strong.

also first time seeing the new renovations at Merriweather (bathrooms, etc) - very nice!

Yada

« Reply #2570 on: May 30, 2017, 09:45:54 am »
well space... you didn't follow the directions and queued up a bunch of random tunes on your dell latitude via youtube... Like I said, listen to the album from start to finish and you'll be tappin' your toes in your white pleated pants.

also, #lolboniver

http://www.stereogum.com/1943530/bon-iver-may-never-fly-delta-again/news/

herman otto

« Reply #2571 on: May 30, 2017, 09:53:00 am »
I love it when Indie Darlings, become mainstream spoiled cunts, when they don't get their way.

Space Freely

« Reply #2572 on: May 30, 2017, 10:50:12 am »
well space... you didn't follow the directions and queued up a bunch of random tunes on your dell latitude via youtube... Like I said, listen to the album from start to finish and you'll be tappin' your toes in your white pleated pants.

also, #lolboniver

Actually it was on an old MAC, and I'm not sure where to listen to the album without actually buying it.

Yada

« Reply #2573 on: May 30, 2017, 11:00:31 am »

also, #lolboniver

Actually it was on an old MAC, and I'm not sure where to listen to the album without actually buying it.

Step into the 2000's son.

Yada

« Reply #2574 on: May 30, 2017, 12:10:29 pm »
Delfest was awesome.... highly recommended for a family friendly event.

Cheap beer, decent food, good music... kids running around everywhere in the middle of the hills of Western Maryland. Would attend again and bummed I haven't gone in the past.

« Reply #2575 on: May 30, 2017, 01:20:36 pm »
Delfest was awesome.... highly recommended for a family friendly event.

Cheap beer, decent food, good music... kids running around everywhere in the middle of the hills of Western Maryland. Would attend again and bummed I haven't gone in the past.
I've been meaning to take the fam, heard it's great
always bad timing for me...
slack

ggw

« Reply #2576 on: June 02, 2017, 09:32:45 am »
Car Seat Headrest were a lot of fun live.  I can see big things for them.  The Ottobar was packed and I was able to grab a spot near the front; almost everyone I could see was singing along to every song.  They did the loud quiet dynamic well, and reminded me of a throwback to the 90s.  I would not be surprised if their next tour they hit up the 930 Club and sell it out.   I had only listened to the new record once, and I would have probably skipped last night, but am glad I went, I am now a fan.
While it wasn't a sell out, they probably filled 75%+ of The National in Richmond which is comparable to 9:30 (actually a little larger). But the ticket price was cheap so that may have helped.
sadly one of the few shows without Lucy Dacus opening for them
they also just soldout    two nights at the Bowery ballroom in NYC
so they are ready to pack if not sell out the 930

And they did sell out the 930 last night.  Good show.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2577 on: June 02, 2017, 09:55:48 am »
Car Seat Headrest were a lot of fun live.  I can see big things for them.  The Ottobar was packed and I was able to grab a spot near the front; almost everyone I could see was singing along to every song.  They did the loud quiet dynamic well, and reminded me of a throwback to the 90s.  I would not be surprised if their next tour they hit up the 930 Club and sell it out.   I had only listened to the new record once, and I would have probably skipped last night, but am glad I went, I am now a fan.
While it wasn't a sell out, they probably filled 75%+ of The National in Richmond which is comparable to 9:30 (actually a little larger). But the ticket price was cheap so that may have helped.
sadly one of the few shows without Lucy Dacus opening for them
they also just soldout    two nights at the Bowery ballroom in NYC
so they are ready to pack if not sell out the 930

And they did sell out the 930 last night.  Good show.
They're playing Richmond's "friday in the park" concerts the end of the month for like $5. I look forward to seeing them again.
LVMH

« Reply #2578 on: June 02, 2017, 10:15:04 am »
They're playing Richmond's "friday in the park" concerts the end of the month for like $5. I look forward to seeing them again.
price doubled!!
still a great deal at $10
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2579 on: June 02, 2017, 10:19:05 am »
price doubled!!
still a great deal at $10
They're all $5 or $10. Conor Oberst tonight.
LVMH