Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1268627 times)

challenged

• Instagram
Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #2760 on: September 13, 2017, 09:15:54 pm »
No post-game on Keene/Sweet yet.  The Ram's Head show was good. Crowd was mostly dead until the end.  I wonder how this compared to the Birchmere show.

And Tommy Keene needs a full set with a full band.  Dammit.

I enjoyed the Birchmere show a lot; thought Tommy was a little froggy-voiced, but he has so many old time fans in the crowd at the Schmere that he delivers. I have such a soft spot for the songs from Girlfriend record that I always love Matthew Sweet shows.

I chatted with Tommy afterwards about A Giant Dog, and showed him a video of their Ottobar show, and he hated it and thought that I only like it because Sabrina wears next to no clothes.  Untrue!

Also found out that Sweet's Girlfriend record is the foundation for this upcoming new musical as well:

http://www.sigtheatre.org/events/2017-18/girlfriend/ 

Boardie Musical Theatre meet up?

heff

« Reply #2761 on: September 14, 2017, 09:35:00 am »
Anyone see Swervedriver? How was it?

Welll, they played "Raise" and "Mezcal Head" in their entirety and that was it.  During the second set (Mezcal Head), Adam Franklin said something about he would say something but nothing was coming to mind - that was the extent of interacting with the crowd.  After "Never Lose That Feeling/Never Learn" (which was awesome), the band thanked the crowd and left, music came on and that was it.  What was strange was that the lights didn't come on and the crowd kept cheering for an encore, it wasn't until the guitar tech started breaking down the set did we get the message that the show was over.  They have been playing an encore at the other shows so I don't know why no encore for this one.  I thought the crowd, while a bit small, was properly enthusiastic.  It did seem to me that there were some issues with the equipment and since they were playing the albums straight through there was a lot of switching of guitars between songs, which I can imagine can get old quickly. 

I know why bands do these 'complete album' shows but when I've gone to them, the bands almost make it seem like it is a chore to play them.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #2762 on: September 14, 2017, 10:14:35 am »
I saw them at 930 last time...their performance was acceptable.  6/10.  I didn't feel the need to see them again this time.

Anyone see Swervedriver? How was it?

Welll, they played "Raise" and "Mezcal Head" in their entirety and that was it.  During the second set (Mezcal Head), Adam Franklin said something about he would say something but nothing was coming to mind - that was the extent of interacting with the crowd.  After "Never Lose That Feeling/Never Learn" (which was awesome), the band thanked the crowd and left, music came on and that was it.  What was strange was that the lights didn't come on and the crowd kept cheering for an encore, it wasn't until the guitar tech started breaking down the set did we get the message that the show was over.  They have been playing an encore at the other shows so I don't know why no encore for this one.  I thought the crowd, while a bit small, was properly enthusiastic.  It did seem to me that there were some issues with the equipment and since they were playing the albums straight through there was a lot of switching of guitars between songs, which I can imagine can get old quickly. 

I know why bands do these 'complete album' shows but when I've gone to them, the bands almost make it seem like it is a chore to play them.
(_|_)

shemptiness

« Reply #2763 on: September 14, 2017, 05:05:56 pm »
No post-game on Keene/Sweet yet.  The Ram's Head show was good. Crowd was mostly dead until the end.  I wonder how this compared to the Birchmere show.

I enjoyed the Birchmere show a lot; thought Tommy was a little froggy-voiced, but he has so many old time fans in the crowd at the Schmere that he delivers. I have such a soft spot for the songs from Girlfriend record that I always love Matthew Sweet shows.

I chatted with Tommy afterwards about A Giant Dog, and showed him a video of their Ottobar show, and he hated it and thought that I only like it because Sabrina wears next to no clothes.  Untrue!

Also found out that Sweet's Girlfriend record is the foundation for this upcoming new musical as well:

I wonder why he didn't mention this instead of trying to sell pottery.

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #2764 on: September 15, 2017, 11:24:47 am »

I wonder why he didn't mention this instead of trying to sell pottery.

Ha, yeah. I did go look at Matthew's pottery. Interesting; but very expensive.

dyecraig

« Reply #2765 on: September 18, 2017, 09:49:08 am »
arcade fire was outstanding.
the boxing ring concept and adverts very clever.
great setlist, looked like they were having a lot of fun - drummer is excellent, lighting very effective, sound was decent.
pretty empty at the beginning, shame if you missed preservation hall jazz band - really different group, sound and vibe from the group I saw in NOLA ten or so years ago.
200's, no upgrade, fine view.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #2766 on: September 18, 2017, 10:17:23 am »
thought the sound was far from decent...it was too bass-y but maybe decent if you're standing on the floor...we were in the 200 section.

arcade fire was outstanding.
the boxing ring concept and adverts very clever.
great setlist, looked like they were having a lot of fun - drummer is excellent, lighting very effective, sound was decent.
pretty empty at the beginning, shame if you missed preservation hall jazz band - really different group, sound and vibe from the group I saw in NOLA ten or so years ago.
200's, no upgrade, fine view.
(_|_)

K8teebug

« Reply #2767 on: September 20, 2017, 11:02:46 am »
Adam Ant at Baltimore Soundstage last night was a blast. I'm not really a fan, but went with a friend who is. Glam Skanks were a fun opener. It's interesting when you get to discover an artist through live performance. That's rare these days. I realize I'm very very very late to Adam Ant, but it's worth seeing him if he comes around again. Fun crowd, and I really like that venue! Reminds me of the old Bohagers without the balcony.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #2768 on: September 20, 2017, 01:24:06 pm »
Riot Fest was amazing.
‼‼?‼‼

Bagley

« Reply #2769 on: September 20, 2017, 02:01:09 pm »
Riot Fest was amazing.

Highlights? Did you catch X?

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #2770 on: September 21, 2017, 03:22:50 pm »
Riot Fest was amazing.

Highlights? Did you catch X?
New Order and Prophets Of Rage were absolutely incredible. I caught the last 4 or 5 songs of X and they sounded pretty on point. They played right before the Buzzcocks who were also very good. It seemed like a real big love fest. After Pennywise finished with Bro Hymn Dinosaur Jr did a little soundcheck and played the Bro Hymn riff. During QOTSA set Josh started singing "Mother" by Danzig who had played earlier in the night. It seemed like every band was naming a bunch of bands they were excited to see. Super fun atmosphere.

Hearing new QOTSA and being super close in a gigantic festival crowd was amazing. At The Drive In leading into them was also incredible. ATDI just have such a different energy from Mars Volta. Glad I got to catch them finally.
‼‼?‼‼

bearman🐻

« Reply #2771 on: September 24, 2017, 08:36:28 am »
X was so good last night. First time at the State Theater. Not the best sound, but I thought it was actually a pretty decent venue. Their AC was busted but they did their best to make it comfortable. Great setlist. Billy seems to be recovering pretty well.

DotTheEyes

« Reply #2772 on: October 08, 2017, 07:59:36 pm »
Last night was my first Paul Weller show.  I enjoyed it quite a bit.  I would not have minded a few more Jam songs (he played "Start!" and "Monday"), but the solo material is great, too.  Highlights were "Broken Stones," "Saturns Pattern," and "Woo Sé Mama."

Lincoln Theatre was hot as ever, lol.

lily1

« Reply #2773 on: October 08, 2017, 10:53:50 pm »
Last night was my first Paul Weller show.  I enjoyed it quite a bit.  I would not have minded a few more Jam songs (he played "Start!" and "Monday"), but the solo material is great, too.  Highlights were "Broken Stones," "Saturns Pattern," and "Woo Sé Mama."

Lincoln Theatre was hot as ever, lol.

I don't think Paul Weller is capable of a bad show. Every time I've seen him, it's been top notch.

lily1

« Reply #2774 on: October 08, 2017, 10:54:26 pm »
Anyone go to Sun Kil Moon on Thursday? Am I the only one who thought the show was just flat out weird and odd?