Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1290994 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #3225 on: September 10, 2018, 12:13:41 pm »
and then introduced the mayor, who introduced Antibalas by proclaiming, "Ladies and Gentleman, a very popular band, Antibalas."
That's funny.

Does everyone in RVA smoke cigarettes?
I am literally the last person in RVA who does not smoke.
LVMH

« Reply #3226 on: September 11, 2018, 08:48:33 am »
Killing Joke was really fun.  Love Like Blood was a nice treat
Jaz is such a kook, but looked to be having a great time, really getting the crowd amped up
there were some hardcore fans there...lot of young ones too
geordie's guitar sounded great and youth was pounding on the bass
Asteroid was tight
despite all the bordie attendance, I met none

going from a 40th anniversary tour to a 50th tonight with MC5
should go to Paul Simon this week for a 60th anniversary tour
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 08:56:10 am by Saboteur-hatch ılılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılılı »
slack

TheREALHunter

« Reply #3227 on: September 11, 2018, 09:22:55 am »
Agreed Killing Joke were great though personally I could have done without the low rent Marilyn Manson wannabe opener.

« Reply #3228 on: September 11, 2018, 09:35:49 am »
I could have done without the low rent Marilyn Manson wannabe opener.
SHOTS FIRED, Maryland man’s son!
LVMH

« Reply #3229 on: September 11, 2018, 10:19:45 am »
Agreed Killing Joke were great though personally I could have done without the low rent Marilyn Manson wannabe opener.
got there for the last notes of their set...timed it perfectly
but nothing from Fire Dances? Revelations? Brighter than a Thousand Sus?
that was a big bummer IMO, those and nighttime were in heavy rotation in casa de teenage sidehatch
the bass was tweeked up a bit, I agree...
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 10:28:14 am by Saboteur-hatch ılılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılılı »
slack

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #3230 on: September 11, 2018, 10:23:17 am »
Standing dead center about 6 people back I thought Youth's bass was a bit overbearing last night.  When Geordie cut through he did sound good, but it wasn't often enough for me. Guess they were having monitor issues lat night?

Setlist was predicatbly heavy on the usual stuff with a couple of curveballs thrown in. Four from the debut but nothing from Fire Dances? Revelations? Brighter than a Thousand Suns? Extremities.....? I think "Asteroid" and "European Super State" may be two of my least favorites over their entire catalog.

Still....glad I went. I've never seen Jaz appear as happy as he did last night.

betao

« Reply #3231 on: September 11, 2018, 10:37:44 am »

Does everyone in RVA smoke cigarettes?
I am literally the last person in RVA who does not smoke.

2nd to last person.

« Reply #3232 on: September 11, 2018, 10:40:00 am »
2nd to last person.
No, you do, you just don't know it yet.
LVMH

Vas Deferens

« Reply #3233 on: September 11, 2018, 10:50:35 am »
I really enjoyed the Killing Joke show but the sound sucked so much. :(
(_|_)

betao

« Reply #3234 on: September 11, 2018, 01:09:20 pm »
Killing Joke were so so SO GOOD last night. Jaz was remarkably more active as a frontman than I thought he would be; in all of the videos I've seen of shows, he's seems pretty stationary, but not last night. And his demeanor during songs was so intense. Loved the setlist; highlights for me were The Wait, Butcher, Wardance, Asteroid, and Pandemonium. Would like to have seen more from mid-late 80s era, but they've got so much material with only so much time to play, I suppose.

I thought the audience was rather tame; I was towards the front, and was surprised there wasn't any moshing or anything (minus 5 people near the front). Seemed like everyone was just nodding along. It was kinda disappointing, especially when older hits like Requiem and Wardance were played.

Also thought the sound was good, or at least comparable to what I've heard in live recordings. I've been listening to XXV: The Gathering religiously since 2011, and the guitar and bass work sounded exactly like the recording.

I had a blast, and it was worth the eight year/two cancelled shows wait.

Unsanity

« Reply #3235 on: September 12, 2018, 04:30:25 am »
Jesus Lizard in Philly was something....feral. I don't think I can unsee what I saw that night. Great show though!

Killing Joke was awesome. I was in the middle, about 5-6 rows back and it sounded lovely to me. The drums were immense! I heard the guitar and bass just fine as well. Jaz was a sight to behold. He looked so happy to be up on stage. He also looked quite daft as well. I was at their Philly show last time around and this show was WAY better! I was also bummed they skipped around their discography as they did that in Philly as well. I love all their records so it is hard to pick tracks but I would have liked to hear something from Democracy and/or Hosannas From The Basements of Hell. The S/T 2003 material fucking rocked though. I am surprised the crowd just stood there stiff. Closing with Pandemonium was rad. I also loved when Youth came out for the encore puffing on some weed and commented how Baltimore has great bud. What a character.

<PIG> was not my cup of tea for an opener either and he did remind me of Marilyn Manson quite a bit too. I had no idea who he was so I looked into him further and he is a founding member of KMFDM. He still plays with them on and off I guess. He has a long discography and worked with basically everyone in the industrial scene. Who knew! Maybe Manson was influenced by him?

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #3236 on: September 12, 2018, 07:24:31 am »
Can confirm.

bearman🐻

« Reply #3237 on: September 12, 2018, 09:49:49 am »
I'm sad that more people didn't attend MC50, though in the end it was a healthy turnout, but not as robust as it deserved. That being said, what a band. Wayne Kramer didn't disappoint, and I thought everyone else was phenomenal. So happy for Brendan Canty, who got a hero's welcome from the audience during band introductions. All in all, I just loved the show and I love the guys...really lovely, decent, smart people. Bombay, great to see you as always and I'll see you on Saturday!

« Reply #3238 on: September 12, 2018, 11:02:11 am »
I'm sad that more people didn't attend MC50, though in the end it was a healthy turnout, but not as robust as it deserved. That being said, what a band. Wayne Kramer didn't disappoint, and I thought everyone else was phenomenal. So happy for Brendan Canty, who got a hero's welcome from the audience during band introductions. All in all, I just loved the show and I love the guys...really lovely, decent, smart people. Bombay, great to see you as always and I'll see you on Saturday!
was some serious rocking...Wayne was incredible.  I hope I'm half as enthusiastic at 70!   The band was tight
crowd was small, but fine with me.
Sound was good IMO...but had my earplugs in the entire time

also The Detroit Cobras rocked hard too
slack

DotTheEyes

« Reply #3239 on: September 17, 2018, 12:56:47 am »
Paul Simon was wonderful at Capital One on Friday night.  It delivered every element people might desire in a Paul Simon farewell-tour gig, I thought.  Paul was personable and energetic and brought along an excellent, sprawling band.  He played the big hits (sans "Mrs. Robinson") and a few cool deeper cuts (loved "Can't Run But" in its string-heavy new-album arrangement).

Van Morrison at Jiffy Lube Live...a bit more complex.  He sounded amazing, I thought, but obviously Van is not one for fan service in terms of either the set list or stage banter.  And the people around me (in section 304) seemed miserable, only springing to partial life for "Moondance," "Brown Eyed Girl," and "Gloria."  And many complained the entire damn time re:  the (admittedly ornery) decision to not utilize the jumbo screens.  I wish I sat closer and was able to lose myself a bit more in the show.  But I love, love, love Van Morrison, and he definitely delivered a stirring performance.