Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1268531 times)

dyecraig

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #3240 on: September 17, 2018, 08:44:30 am »
Paul Simon was wonderful at Capital One on Friday night.  It delivered every element people might desire in a Paul Simon farewell-tour gig, I thought.  Paul was personable and energetic and brought along an excellent, sprawling band.  He played the big hits (sans "Mrs. Robinson") and a few cool deeper cuts (loved "Can't Run But" in its string-heavy new-album arrangement).

Van Morrison at Jiffy Lube Live...a bit more complex.  He sounded amazing, I thought, but obviously Van is not one for fan service in terms of either the set list or stage banter.  And the people around me (in section 304) seemed miserable, only springing to partial life for "Moondance," "Brown Eyed Girl," and "Gloria."  And many complained the entire damn time re:  the (admittedly ornery) decision to not utilize the jumbo screens.  I wish I sat closer and was able to lose myself a bit more in the show.  But I love, love, love Van Morrison, and he definitely delivered a stirring performance.

thanks for sharing all that.
did van have any merch?

Yada

« Reply #3241 on: September 17, 2018, 09:54:40 am »
Paul Simon was wonderful at Capital One on Friday night.  It delivered every element people might desire in a Paul Simon farewell-tour gig, I thought.  Paul was personable and energetic and brought along an excellent, sprawling band.  He played the big hits (sans "Mrs. Robinson") and a few cool deeper cuts (loved "Can't Run But" in its string-heavy new-album arrangement).

Van Morrison at Jiffy Lube Live...a bit more complex.  He sounded amazing, I thought, but obviously Van is not one for fan service in terms of either the set list or stage banter.  And the people around me (in section 304) seemed miserable, only springing to partial life for "Moondance," "Brown Eyed Girl," and "Gloria."  And many complained the entire damn time re:  the (admittedly ornery) decision to not utilize the jumbo screens.  I wish I sat closer and was able to lose myself a bit more in the show.  But I love, love, love Van Morrison, and he definitely delivered a stirring performance.

thanks for sharing all that.
did van have any merch?

I also caught both shows and agree with your post show banter. Both lived up to and exceeded expectations. We had 6th row seats for Paul Simon and 6th row* for Van, so we didn't have to worry about not seeing grumpy Van up close and personal. Incredible show, but that guy is one bitter old bastard, a stark contrast to the grateful, loving, Mr. Paul Simon.

*A combined total of nearly $1,100 in ticket prices** for less than $350 thanks to working the system.

**MSRP

« Reply #3242 on: September 17, 2018, 10:18:02 am »
Paul Simon + Van Morrison

I also caught both shows and agree with your post show banter. Both lived up to and exceeded expectations. We had 6th row seats for Paul Simon and 6th row* for Van, so we didn't have to worry about not seeing grumpy Van up close and personal. Incredible show, but that guy is one bitter old bastard, a stark contrast to the grateful, loving, Mr. Paul Simon.

*A combined total of nearly $1,100 in ticket prices** for less than $350 thanks to working the system.

**MSRP
Oh snap...the force is strong on this one...I really should have tried to get to Paul Simon :(
wasn't willing to drop $75 for shitty seats
slack

K8teebug

« Reply #3243 on: September 18, 2018, 10:53:44 am »
Saw Paul Simon with Bob Dylan at Nissan back in 1996 (?) and still one of the best shows ever.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #3244 on: September 18, 2018, 11:33:13 am »
I'm sad that more people didn't attend MC50, though in the end it was a healthy turnout, but not as robust as it deserved. That being said, what a band. Wayne Kramer didn't disappoint, and I thought everyone else was phenomenal. So happy for Brendan Canty, who got a hero's welcome from the audience during band introductions. All in all, I just loved the show and I love the guys...really lovely, decent, smart people. Bombay, great to see you as always and I'll see you on Saturday!
I saw MC50 play down here in Raleigh at Hopscotch....my third time seeing him.  Would have preferred it in a club setting but dude is a national treasure....Setlist here was Kick out the jams front to back then I Can Only Give you Everything followed by Looking at You....

I've lived in Raleigh for 4 years now and this was my first time doing the full Hopscotch thing.  Lineup was not amazing this year but fuck Raleigh is such a GREAT little town for this sort of thing with so many good venues within short walking distance of each other.  It really is a perfect spot for a festival of this type.  All the local clubs have free shows during the day, then the wristbands start at about 5:30 in the evening and last sets of the night are around 12:30.  Highly recommended for anyone that wants to have a great weekend of music in an awesome town.  I love my little city.

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #3245 on: September 21, 2018, 03:42:12 pm »
Turns out Car Seat Headrest are neither of those things, but they are a really fine/fun live band. They bring with them a lighting barrage more suitable for an arena, which was very cool. Thanks to Bagley for the fine spot at the upstairs rail, and the helluva parking job.

DotTheEyes

« Reply #3246 on: September 24, 2018, 11:44:15 pm »
Graham Coxon at the Rock & Roll Hotel was a treat.  Very intimate and relaxed and appealingly shambolic show.  Lasted over two hours.  He played two Blur songs ("Miss America" and "You're So Great"); a few covers (Blind Faith, Chas & Dave); and a lot from his solo records, particularly the End of the F***ing World soundtrack.

Very glad this tour happened.

hutch

« Reply #3247 on: September 25, 2018, 01:01:55 am »
Very cool seeing Gail Ann Dorsey with Lenny....A really great player...I had not seen her in about 20 years...since she was in Bowie’s band

« Reply #3248 on: September 25, 2018, 09:47:10 am »
Very cool seeing Gail Ann Dorsey with Lenny....A really great player...I had not seen her in about 20 years...since she was in Bowie’s band
how was lenny?
slack

hutch

« Reply #3249 on: September 25, 2018, 09:57:01 am »
He was really good....played everything I wanted to hear...sounded great...

I know he gets blasted a lot but he is a guilty pleasure of mine and am glad I finally got to see him...started full on with Fly Away and never let up...encore was a killer let love rule/ are you gonna go my way

Cool crowd...very international....

Space Freely

« Reply #3250 on: September 25, 2018, 09:59:42 am »
I honestly had no idea who you guys were talking about until you mentioned "Let Love Rule." I remember buying that album the year it came out and having at least one friend make fun of me for doing so and I had no idea why.

His mom was on the Jeffersons. True story.

hutch

« Reply #3251 on: September 25, 2018, 10:00:23 am »
His voice was just perfect on It ain’t over til it’s over

Actually thinking now he did not play mr cab driver which is a great cut

« Reply #3252 on: September 25, 2018, 05:56:54 pm »
speaking of Lenny and his family

his kid is going to be in the remake of High Fidelity as a tv show
https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/09/zoe-kravitz-high-fidelity/

the immediate question was where exactly the concept could go from here.
Sure, hipster gatekeepers who’re bad at dating and love will exist until time immemorial, but between Nick Hornby’s acclaimed 1995 novel and Stephen Frears’ beloved 2000 movie, the bases seemed to be pretty well-covered.

until the idea of a female lead in the Rob Gordon role became part of the equation.

For his part, the film’s star, John Cusack, is confident Disney will “fuck it up.”

I do think Cusack is right...but will hold judgement until its released
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 05:59:54 pm by MushroomHead-hatch ılılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılılı »
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #3253 on: September 26, 2018, 09:47:33 am »
speaking of Lenny and his family

his kid is going to be in the remake of High Fidelity as a tv show
https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/09/zoe-kravitz-high-fidelity/

the immediate question was where exactly the concept could go from here.
Sure, hipster gatekeepers who’re bad at dating and love will exist until time immemorial, but between Nick Hornby’s acclaimed 1995 novel and Stephen Frears’ beloved 2000 movie, the bases seemed to be pretty well-covered.

until the idea of a female lead in the Rob Gordon role became part of the equation.

For his part, the film’s star, John Cusack, is confident Disney will “fuck it up.”

I do think Cusack is right...but will hold judgement until its released

John Cusack= all around dick
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 09:49:15 am by Space Freely »

ggw

« Reply #3254 on: September 26, 2018, 10:29:10 am »
Billy Bragg has a great schtick about Lenny Kravitz being the product of a bunch of old Jewish record executives who live in an exclusive Long Island resort town called The Framptons. It's much funnier than I make it sound.