Author Topic: The Nationals and Orioles are both in first place  (Read 27973 times)

James Ford

Re: The Nationals and Orioles are both in first place
« Reply #120 on: May 23, 2012, 09:12:34 am »
They say it ,but do the REQUIRE it?  ;)

Besides, most male sports fans are not "gentleman".  ;D

They say "gentlemen, please remove your hats"

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #121 on: May 23, 2012, 09:18:58 am »
The reactions I've seen towards guys who "forget" leads me to believe that it is.

hutch

« Reply #122 on: May 23, 2012, 09:56:06 am »
Yelling during the anthem or not taking your hat off are simply signs of a lack of education.

If the Orioles want to argue that their "tradition" supersedes the nation's tradition of respect for the National Anthem then that is their prerogative but I'm not really buying it. It seems like boorish behavior to me.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #123 on: May 23, 2012, 10:12:24 am »
I just ask myself.....What would Lee Greenwood do?

vansmack

« Reply #124 on: May 23, 2012, 02:48:41 pm »
Why am I not surprise that the participants of this board have no understanding the history of etiquette?

On ladies: the reason behind the difference in rules between men and women in regards to hat etiquette is due to the fact that, traditionally, women wore hats that often would be elaborately pinned into their hair; they also may contain flowers, bows, ribbons, and other decorations that would be difficult to remove and put back in. Thus, if a woman is simply wearing a baseball cap that is easily removed and put back on, they cannot claim the ?ladies exemption?.

The ladies rule also stems from church rules, stemming from covering up flesh in church, but that's a longer discussion.

And the men's hat off rule has more to do with the flag than with the anthem. Your supposed to take your hat off when addressing/facing the flag, regardless of whether or not the anthem is playing. Congress later amended the rule to include the anthem.
27>34

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #125 on: May 23, 2012, 03:10:47 pm »
i think most people at games are too busy ordering beer . . . to care.

imbecile

« Reply #126 on: May 23, 2012, 03:45:51 pm »
Yelling during the anthem or not taking your hat off are simply signs of a lack of education.

If the Orioles want to argue that their "tradition" supersedes the nation's tradition of respect for the National Anthem then that is their prerogative but I'm not really buying it. It seems like boorish behavior to me.

Ha, I don't know if it's a lack of education or not, but it's amazingly irritating, that's for sure.

Also, whether it's a tradition or not, and aside from it being disrespectful, it's akin to going to a concert and being those people who stand right next to you and talk loudly about their jobs (or whatever) during the really quite intimate acoustic part of your favorite song (not that the national anthem is my favorite song).  Seriously, shut the fuck up and act like you've been to a sporting event (concert) before.

But shit, what do I know, maybe when Francis Scott Key was hanging out in Baltimore watching Fort McHenry get shelled, writing the song, some jackass yelled "oh" when he composed that part and for some reason he decided to keep it and we're actually all wrong about it.  I doubt it though.

K8teebug

« Reply #127 on: May 23, 2012, 03:50:47 pm »
Well, it IS a drinking song.

Sorry everyone seems to be so offended by it, but I am not going to stop emphasizing one syllable of a song.  I've been saying it since I was little. 

and if you don't like it, feel free to be pissed off at it. 

Got Haggis?

« Reply #128 on: May 23, 2012, 03:59:01 pm »

K8teebug

« Reply #129 on: May 24, 2012, 07:45:45 am »
 ;D

James Ford

« Reply #130 on: May 24, 2012, 08:13:51 am »
Orioles have lost three of last four. Have to wonder if it's the start of the June swoon.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #131 on: May 24, 2012, 09:44:59 am »
Orioles have lost three of last four. Have to wonder if it's the start of the June swoon.
This would be glorious.

Really wished we could have handed Hamels a loss last night. Glad to see Henry Rodriguez make it through one inning even though he had a couple rough pitches in there. Insanely surprised Davey decided to throw him back in there again.
‼‼?‼‼

hutch

« Reply #132 on: May 24, 2012, 11:15:17 am »
This would be glorious.

Really wished we could have handed Hamels a loss last night. Glad to see Henry Rodriguez make it through one inning even though he had a couple rough pitches in there. Insanely surprised Davey decided to throw him back in there again.

Rodriguez doesn't seem to have what it takes....

James Ford

« Reply #133 on: September 14, 2012, 08:53:54 am »
Aw, hell. Let's revive this thread for old times sake.

K8teebug

« Reply #134 on: September 14, 2012, 09:00:17 am »
Aw, hell. Let's revive this thread for old times sake.

:D