Author Topic: The Nationals and Orioles are both in first place  (Read 27868 times)

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
Re: The Nationals and Orioles are both in first place
« Reply #105 on: May 21, 2012, 05:16:22 pm »
this guy is an idiot

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/mike-wise-fans-who-yell-oh-during-national-anthem-are-tainting-a-moment-meant-for-patriotism/2012/05/19/gIQACK4RbU_story.html
My beef is with fans doing this at DC sporting events...Skins games, Caps games...do these morons have any idea that it's 'O' as in Orioles?  Take that shit up 95 to Baltimore.

As far as desecrating the song, or it being unpatriotic...I think that's pretty stupid.  But it doesn't surprise me that there are plenty of idiots who would find it offensive on that level. 

people do this everywhere now.. i find it highly annoying.. did no realize it was a "tradition" that had arisen in baltimore...

1. Mike Wise is a fucking  jack off
2. I hadn't even thought of it being "O" as in "Orioles" until I was at the game and thought "Is that for the O's?" then I thought "Fuck that, fuck the O's". But I have heard it for years and years at sporting events and other events where they sing the National Anthem before hand.
‼‼?‼‼

hutch

« Reply #106 on: May 21, 2012, 05:21:01 pm »
Been to about 50 Nats games and its usually a very small amount of people yelling during the National Anthem. I'm pretty sure if you surveyed people at the games an overwhelming percentage would prefer people not yell during the anthem.

Its not that hard people: take off your hat and sing along or remain quiet during the National Anthem.

Now don't get me started on "God Bless America"

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #107 on: May 22, 2012, 09:45:11 am »
Been to about 50 Nats games and its usually a very small amount of people yelling during the National Anthem. I'm pretty sure if you surveyed people at the games an overwhelming percentage would prefer people not yell during the anthem.

Its not that hard people: take off your hat and sing along or remain quiet during the National Anthem.

You've been to WAY more nats game than I...I guess I'm basing this mostly on Caps games and Skins games, though admittedly I haven't been to FedEx in a few years.  Maybe this misguided behavior is on the decline in DC.

K8teebug

« Reply #108 on: May 22, 2012, 10:18:15 am »

You've been to WAY more nats game than I...I guess I'm basing this mostly on Caps games and Skins games, though admittedly I haven't been to FedEx in a few years.  Maybe this misguided behavior is on the decline in DC.

If I am at any baseball game, I always say it.  Because I am an ORIOLES fan and that's what we do.

hutch

« Reply #109 on: May 22, 2012, 10:24:30 am »

If I am at any baseball game, I always say it.  Because I am an ORIOLES fan and that's what we do.

yeah, until very recently I had no idea of the Orioles history .. bunch of rabble rousers... Frank Deford describes the team's roots in the late 1890s in their first iteration when they played in the National League... bunch of cheats. The creation of the American League in part was a response to the louts/drunks/cheats that typified the National League none more so than the Orioles who dominated the 1890s...

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #110 on: May 22, 2012, 12:09:56 pm »

Keep your mouth shut during the anthem. Why is that so hard to understand?

K8teebug

« Reply #111 on: May 22, 2012, 01:41:55 pm »
I'm sorry you do not understand.

bekessler

« Reply #112 on: May 22, 2012, 01:44:18 pm »

yeah, until very recently I had no idea of the Orioles history .. bunch of rabble rousers... Frank Deford describes the team's roots in the late 1890s in their first iteration when they played in the National League... bunch of cheats. The creation of the American League in part was a response to the louts/drunks/cheats that typified the National League none more so than the Orioles who dominated the 1890s...

Today's Orioles were the St. Louis Browns until 1953.  The above applies to today's Yankees.

hutch

« Reply #113 on: May 22, 2012, 01:59:45 pm »

Today's Orioles were the St. Louis Browns until 1953.  The above applies to today's Yankees.

yeah.. but there was a previous Baltimore Orioles franchise that played in the National League... can't remember what happened to them if they just folded or moved.... I'd have to check the Deford book..

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #114 on: May 22, 2012, 08:18:24 pm »

No, I understand quite well. Do you leave your hat on during the anthem, too?

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #115 on: May 22, 2012, 11:18:25 pm »

All I think of when I hear the St. Louis Browns is Eddie Gaedel, and this photo, of course:

(o|o)

K8teebug

« Reply #116 on: May 23, 2012, 08:07:21 am »

I do not, even though I am a girl and not required to take it off.  (my hat)

Now let's get back to more exciting discussions, like how the Orioles beat the Red Sox last night.

James Ford

« Reply #117 on: May 23, 2012, 08:23:03 am »
I don't think men are "required" to take their hat off either.

But if you're a TRUE AMERICAN, godddamnit you take off your fucking hat during the national anthem!

I do not, even though I am a girl and not required to take it off.  (my hat)

Now let's get back to more exciting discussions, like how the Orioles beat the Red Sox last night.

K8teebug

« Reply #118 on: May 23, 2012, 08:39:17 am »
They say "gentlemen, please remove your hats"

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #119 on: May 23, 2012, 08:49:57 am »
K8tee is right.  Only the guys are asked to do that.  Why?  No idea.  Makes no sense to me at all.  But, then again, playing the national anthem before sporting events doesn't makes sense to me, either.

And I don't find that punctuating the O or RED part of it offensive.  But I guess people gotta bitch.