Author Topic: For Walky  (Read 652397 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: For Walky
« Reply #1065 on: April 23, 2015, 08:48:01 am »
assuming that it is someone who is supposedly famous.
This week on Julian Reveals Completely Ubiquitous Pop Culture To RatBastard [9pm, HBO]: Julian explains who Jennifer Lawrence -- Oscar nominee, current Hollywood "it" girl, and star of the wildly popular Hunger Games films which have commercials 3 times an hour -- is!
LVMH

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #1066 on: April 23, 2015, 12:23:36 pm »
For the record, I did not say anything about 'being gay' being a big deal. 

you are absolutely correct, you said no such thing.

i also said nothing about my comments being directed at you.

you made a general observation. so did i. 

but since we're now talking about you:

I said it was absurd that an imaginary made up non-human comic book fictional character is identified as having any sexual preference.

why is that absurd?  is it also absurd that a fictional character has a name, a back-story, a personality, be in relationships, do things, etc.?  why wouldn't their sexual orientation be part of the character?  perhaps you're not used to seeing sexual orientation being part of comics, and that's precisely why this is such a big deal.  something that has never really been part of a mainstream storyline now is.

BTW no one yet has commented on who/what Tye is (no googling allowed) although the proper spelling would be Tige.

i suspect it's because most people don't care about a character they've never heard of :-)  it would be like me dropping a hint about the great comedy troupe Rock et Belles Oreilles, then being surprised when no one jumped on the opportunity to wax lyrical about their comedic genius...

You quoted my post ergo it was directly aimed at me.

I am not used to seeing the fact that a character is left handed v right handed, I'm not used to seeing that a character has green (or any other specific color) eyes, I am not used to seeing a character with an extra toe on his left foot.  I understand the point you are attempting to make but just because something happens for the first time does not make it a big deal.

I would imagine that there are people here who know each of the sublime references.

FUKIT

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #1067 on: April 23, 2015, 12:26:13 pm »
assuming that it is someone who is supposedly famous.
This week on Julian Reveals Completely Ubiquitous Pop Culture To RatBastard [9pm, HBO]: Julian explains who Jennifer Lawrence -- Oscar nominee, current Hollywood "it" girl, and star of the wildly popular Hunger Games films which have commercials 3 times an hour -- is!

That explains it.  I am not into any of that stuff in the least.  Not into movies, could not care less about Hollyweird, have heard the term 'Hunger Games' in passing but have no idea (and have no desire to have any idea) of what it is all about.
FUKIT

« Reply #1068 on: April 23, 2015, 01:09:26 pm »
That explains it.  I am not into any of that stuff in the least.  Not into movies, could not care less about Hollyweird, have heard the term 'Hunger Games' in passing but have no idea (and have no desire to have any idea) of what it is all about.
I get that, and yet I don't. I'm legitimately uncertain if you are playing up your ignorance of certain things and if not, how you are able to not even be aware of their existence.

For example, I hate sci-fi. I think Star Wars is the stupidest thing ever and have not even seen the original movies the entire way through. But I am aware Star Wars exists. I don't see a photo of Darth Vader and go "holy crap, what is that horrific affront to the Lord, some kind of robot?" Simply from existing in a society where a huge portion of the population thinks Star Wars has some merit makes me aware of it if only through ancillary references.

When you are unaware of multi-billion dollar movie series like Hunger Games -- which I have never seen as it looks stupid as is literally written for pre-teens -- or cannot visually identify Taylor Swift, I sincerely wonder how you manage to pull this off (unless you're just pretending). Do you literally live in a home without television and have a social circle of approximately 4 other people? These are extremely ubiquitous things that 98% of the US population can identify (even if they do not personally like them). And the other 2% are predominately made up of the intellectually disabled and elderly dementia patients.

I don't mean this to sound rude, I'm genuinely fascinated how someone who clearly has the internet and no mental deficiencies is completely unaware of these things in 2015. You're not some loner luddite in a cave.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 01:17:40 pm by Julian, Verified SHITLORD »
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #1069 on: April 23, 2015, 01:17:27 pm »
I get that, and yet I don't. I'm legitimately uncertain if you are playing up your ignorance of certain things and if not, how you are able to not even be aware of their existence.

For example, I hate sci-fi. I think Star Wars is the stupidest thing ever and have not even seen the original movies the entire way through. But I am aware Star Wars exists. I don't see a photo of Darth Vader and go "holy crap, what is that thing, some kind of robot?" Simply from existing in a society where a huge portion of the population thinks Star Wars has some merit makes me aware of it if only through ancillary references.

When you are unaware of multi-billion dollar movie series like Hunger Games -- which I have never seen as it looks stupid as is literally written for pre-teens -- or cannot visually identify Taylor Swift, I sincerely wonder how you manage to pull this off (unless you're just pretending). Do you literally live in a home without television and have a social circle of approximately 4 other people? These are extremely ubiquitous things that 98% of the US population can identify (even if they do not personally like them). And the other 2% are predominately made up of the intellectually disabled and elderly dementia patients.

I don't mean this to sound rude, I'm genuinely interested in how someone who clearly has the internet and no mental deficiencies is completely unaware of these things in 2015. You're not some loner luddite in a cave.

don't both of you guys live somewhere near Richmond? You guys should meet up once a week to discuss pop culture and your interests.

« Reply #1070 on: April 23, 2015, 01:18:20 pm »
don't both of you guys live somewhere near Richmond? You guys should meet up once a week to discuss pop culture and your interests.
I offered my services to rehabilitate his image on here once and he told me he "does not do lunch."
LVMH

« Reply #1071 on: April 23, 2015, 01:20:31 pm »
Quote from: Julian, Verified SHITLORD link=topic=22779.msg405884#msg405884
For example, I hate sci-fi. I think Star Wars is the stupidest thing ever
nerf-herder
slack

« Reply #1072 on: April 23, 2015, 01:21:56 pm »
nerf-herder

I think adults who purchase Nerf products are ridiculous as well. Don't lump me in with those weirdos.
LVMH

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1073 on: April 23, 2015, 03:17:34 pm »
Im enjoying this, conversation, here.  speaking of Richmond, I was recently there and had a delightful time.  I think I will return for even more delightful times.  it reminded me of a civil war version of a nicer section of Washington d,c.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #1074 on: April 23, 2015, 06:41:36 pm »

For example, I hate sci-fi. I think Star Wars is the stupidest thing ever and have not even seen the original movies the entire way through. But I am aware Star Wars exists. I don't see a photo of Darth Vader and go "holy crap, what is that horrific affront to the Lord, some kind of robot?" Simply from existing in a society where a huge portion of the population thinks Star Wars has some merit makes me aware of it if only through ancillary references.

I don't mean this to sound rude, I'm genuinely fascinated how someone who clearly has the internet and no mental deficiencies is completely unaware of these things in 2015. You're not some loner luddite in a cave.

Your failure is in assuming that I have no mental deficiencies!  :)

I am 'aware' of hunger games as a term but I have no idea in hell that it is/was a movie, the plot or storyline thereof, etc.  I am very much NOT a movie buff.  I think I have been to see a movie in the theater maybe 3 times i the last 20 years. I just absolutely 100% do not follow film.

Also I am extremely not into the pop scene of the last 15-20 years.  IMHO a huge majority of the crap on shows like "the voice", "america's got talent", and "american idle" (better named american ide-hole) is extremely inferior dime-a-dozen junk that feeds the main stream pop music these days.  First off there are very few 'musicians' that make it any more.  I do not consider any of the current pop tarts musicians.  They are merely singing faces that fell into someone's pocket that has lots of money to push them to stardom.  There is no such thing as a Brittany Spears song or any of the other pop 'starts' for example, Swift included.  They merely sing other people's music and it is all the same old generic shit.  I waste none of my time or energy knowing who those people are, who they are sleeping with, or whether they were just photographed getting out of a car wearing no panties.

The sad fact about the music industry today is that that there are a LOT of very VERY talented people who write, produce, and play their own original music.  A good portion of that music is very good.  Unfortunately that does precious little to help you make it in the industry.  It is more about can you lip synch and perform a choreographed dance routine to some lame plain vanilla 'beat' written by a 'professional song writer' all while airbrushed to within an inch of your life and being pushed down the throats of society by big dollars.  The good part is that there are club owners around the country (such as Seth) who provide a forum for the real musicians to practice their art.  For that I am extremely thankful.
FUKIT

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #1075 on: April 23, 2015, 06:44:08 pm »
Im enjoying this, conversation, here.  speaking of Richmond, I was recently there and had a delightful time.  I think I will return for even more delightful times.  it reminded me of a civil war version of a nicer section of Washington d,c.

If you come to Richmond again without letting me know and dropping by to say hello I am going to choose to be offended! :)
FUKIT

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1076 on: April 24, 2015, 12:33:55 pm »

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1077 on: April 24, 2015, 12:35:26 pm »

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1078 on: April 24, 2015, 12:38:40 pm »

RatBastard

• Obscenitees