Author Topic: Virgin Freefest 2012  (Read 120844 times)

Vas Deferens

Re: Virgin Freefest 2012
« Reply #450 on: October 10, 2012, 12:00:08 pm »
to eliminate the whining on the board.

But why would they want to get rid of the younger crowd? To me, that's clearly the target audience for Freefest at this point.

solution: get rid of the electronic stage. This stage attracts the younger crowd.

bumbershoot does not have an electronic stage.
(_|_)

atomicfront

« Reply #451 on: October 10, 2012, 12:13:32 pm »
I thought the same thing.

But why would they want to get rid of the younger crowd? To me, that's clearly the target audience for Freefest at this point.

And I'm ok with that. There's still plenty of live music options in the area to satiate my live music needs.

solution: get rid of the electronic stage. This stage attracts the younger crowd.

bumbershoot does not have an electronic stage.

or they could just move it back to pimlico if they want a bigger crowd or decrease the size of the corwd.  Why can't a music festival appeal to all age groups.  And not having enough spot-a-pots, food vendors or securit, or parking is not related to the age of the crowd.

One thing I will say is when I was at Montreal Jazz Fest and the Music Festival in Quebec City it was nice to see all ages and races and different types of people at the festivals. 

Yada

« Reply #452 on: October 10, 2012, 12:19:46 pm »
Why are you guys comparing multi day nationall events that attract people from all over the world to a 10 hour festival held in Columbia, MD?

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #453 on: October 10, 2012, 02:39:59 pm »
Why are you guys comparing multi day nationall events that attract people from all over the world to a 10 hour festival held in Columbia, MD?

Because they're breeders and thus expect the world to cater to their whims.

atomicfront

« Reply #454 on: October 10, 2012, 03:11:02 pm »

well it used to a multiple day event and organizers have said they envision it being like pitchfork.  I only went to two nights of scapescape but I will say it was easier to park, easier to get food by 1000, easier to go to the bathroom by 1000, and better crowd.  If you like that comparison. 

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #455 on: October 10, 2012, 03:18:36 pm »
It's the youngsters that the sponsors want, even require. They want to brand their brands on the kids' brains while they're still susceptible to branding, i.e. still building their brand loyalties and identities. Old folk ain't brandable. If it remains Freefest it will be geared to the kids.
😐 🎶

atomicfront

« Reply #456 on: October 10, 2012, 03:23:53 pm »
And why can't we complain about a festival that is run badly.  They should know themselves that waiting a half hour to go in a spot-a-pot is unacceptible.  No clear directions on where to park when we have always been able to park in the mpp parking lot is unacceptible.  With cops directing us in circles.  hour long food lines is either unacceptable or you let people bring their own food in.  On the lollapalooza forum after every festival the organizers start threads where people can complain about that years festival.  

I haven't experienced problems with the festival in the past either at mpp or at pimilico.  So I am not complaining just to complain.  Festival had problems either fix them or dont' do it next year.  I am guessing they let more people in this year.  I didn't attend last year so I don't know how that went down.

As the food lines were an issue at Florence and the Machine as well I think they might have problems at Mpp overall but never bathroom lines like they had.  

atomicfront

« Reply #457 on: October 10, 2012, 03:26:32 pm »
It's the youngsters that the sponsors want, even require. They want to brand their brands on the kids' brains while they're still susceptible to branding, i.e. still building their brand loyalties and identities. Old folk ain't brandable. If it remains Freefest it will be geared to the kids.

well like I have said before I have virgin mobile service and an LG phone.  So they can have this attitude that it is just kids they want but then they will probably fail as a company. I know virgin mobile is just Sprint.  how are they doing as a company? there -1.11 earnings per share doesn't look good does it?

James Ford

« Reply #458 on: October 10, 2012, 03:37:25 pm »
While I'm in general agreement with you, I will say that I peed twice at that building that looked like a barn near the pavillion, and it took me no more than five minutes to get through the line each time.

And if you get really desperate, pee in an empty plastic cup. You don't even have to wait in line to do that.

And if you don't like food lines, carry your own in. Just sayin.

And though beer lines were long, the 932 bar was empty. Yes, I sucked it up and paid $9.50 each plus tips for a couple of shitty beers to wash our dinner down with.

I also read that attendance was actually down this year.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/49323998/ns/local_news-baltimore_md/t/virgin-mobile-freefest-attendance-down/

And why can't we complain about a festival that is run badly.  They should know themselves that waiting a half hour to go in a spot-a-pot is unacceptible.  No clear directions on where to park when we have always been able to park in the mpp parking lot is unacceptible.  With cops directing us in circles.  hour long food lines is either unacceptable or you let people bring their own food in.  On the lollapalooza forum after every festival the organizers start threads where people can complain about that years festival.  

I haven't experienced problems with the festival in the past either at mpp or at pimilico.  So I am not complaining just to complain.  Festival had problems either fix them or dont' do it next year.  I am guessing they let more people in this year.  I didn't attend last year so I don't know how that went down.

As the food lines were an issue at Florence and the Machine as well I think they might have problems at Mpp overall but never bathroom lines like they had.  

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #459 on: October 10, 2012, 04:07:50 pm »
Festival had problems either fix them or dont' do it next year.

or don't attend.  no one is owed a festival (especially a free one).  speak with your wallet/feet.

I am guessing they let more people in this year. 

yeah, that's my take on the this year's woes. 

EDIT: interesting link, Ford.  huh.  the lines seemed to imply there were more people...
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #460 on: October 10, 2012, 04:20:21 pm »
No one is saying we are owed anything..

but most of us are professional concertgoers.. if the show is good we'll be there whether its free or not... if it sucks we won't go or will not go again.. if the organization sucks, whether its free or not, we're going to remark on that.. i mean we are professional concertgoers! :)

I actually think Seth values our feedback and gets a kick out of it even if we act a bit "entitled"..

by the way Seth if you're reading this thanks for bringing back PiL!!!!!!!!!!! Made my week.

James Ford

« Reply #461 on: October 10, 2012, 04:26:31 pm »
The target audience is entitled teenagers, not professional concertgoers. One look at the lineup tells you that much!

hutch

« Reply #462 on: October 10, 2012, 04:29:38 pm »
The target audience is entitled teenagers, not professional concertgoers. One look at the lineup tells you that much!
I hear you

BUT Oh I don't know.. the true "professional" goes to just about anything.. people are amazed sometimes to hear about what I will go check out... and going to see the new bands the kids are into is part of any serious "professional concertgoers" dossier.. but you're right maybe I should distinguish between professional and hipster concertgoer

;D

atomicfront

« Reply #463 on: October 10, 2012, 11:28:10 pm »
Festival had problems either fix them or dont' do it next year.

or don't attend.  no one is owed a festival (especially a free one).  speak with your wallet/feet.

I am guessing they let more people in this year. 

yeah, that's my take on the this year's woes. 

EDIT: interesting link, Ford.  huh.  the lines seemed to imply there were more people...

I already said I won't be back and I have said that I would glady pay for a better line-up more day festival in the past.  But with the lines at Florence and the Machine and then the repeat here I think I am done going to MPP.  Which is a shame because it has been my favorite venue for decades.