Author Topic: ORIOLES  (Read 462785 times)

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
Re: ORIOLES
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 04:23:29 pm »
I am an Orioles fan
Lame

been one for a long long time

there weren't other options when I started

made a lot of friends there, and it's still the best ballpark anywhere to actually go see a game, enjoy good food, and be comfortable

and I've been to a LOT of other stadiums, including all of the classics

so tell me what's lame about that

Nothing.  Camden Yards is home. 

if you live 40 miles away in Baltimore..

This is typical DC.. in no other town in America would people not be expected to root for their team.. only in DC is it accepted that people root for anybody BUT the nats.. i have so many friends who have lived here 20 years and insist they are Yankees , Phillies, O's or whatever first...

Hey Jackie, you live in DC for 20 years how about you root for YOUR local team.

(none of this denies how awesome Camden Yards is..)
I sincerely hate that, home is where the heart is, right? Home, sweet, home? Root, root, root for the home team? Home field advantage? It makes no sense to me how people can be born in DC and not root for the Nats or Skins, or Caps, or Wizards, or United. It's not blind homerism, but it is about rooting for the home team. I don't get how people can't wrap their heads around that notion and for some reason it seems like it IS only in DC/around the DC metro area.

Thinking about heading up to Camden to the Nats/O's series this week!
‼‼?‼‼

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 05:30:38 pm »
I never said I didn't root for the Nats

they are my other team

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 08:26:32 pm »
Ewwwwww.

Go O's.

K8teebug

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2012, 08:26:57 am »
I also root for the Nationals when they're not playing the Orioles.  I support all local teams!  But, I grew up in Baltimore, and also with the Orioles.  The Orioles trump all other sports teams for me.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2012, 09:16:47 am »
I never said I didn't root for the Nats

they are my other team
Oh no no, I didn't mean I didn't understand why YOU didn't, I don't hold anything against people who are O's fans at all, except that they're O's fans hahaha but I understand wanting to root for a team and DC not having one for years. It's like Ravens fans not liking Redskins fans/Redskins, even though some of them DID root for the Redskins before the Ravens...

Another thing is I don't get how O's fans can shit on Nats fans for liking a "new" team, and yet the Ravens are totally OK because they've been around for over a decade... Kind of hypocritical if you ask me. I still love Baltimore as a city.
‼‼?‼‼

K8teebug

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2012, 09:41:53 am »
I never rooted for the Redskins.  When the Colts left Baltimore, football died in my family.  We are all Ravens fans, but I don't have anything against Redskins fans.  I don't understand the Ravens fans who hate the Redskins fans.  Save that energy for the Steelers :)

I think, for Baltimore fans football-wise, we fought to get a team for so long (remember give baltimore the ball?) and when the Ravens finally came to town, it was exciting (even though we also took them from Cleveland)

BUT, I do think about the fact that Cleveland got to keep their team name, and their colors, and all their trophys.  Johnny Unitas is in the Hall of Fame as an Indianapolis Colt because they took everything.  (except the band uniforms).

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2012, 09:54:54 am »
That's fine, I just don't get the people who are Ravens fans who make fun of or 'don't get' why people are Nats fans. It makes me feel like I'm being trolled. Also, wasn't the ownership of the O's one of the biggest opposers of bringing baseball to DC for years? Going to the Nats/O's series down here was obnoxious and I see no need for that, I'll go to the game at Camden and be civil, I just don't get why people come to DC and act out. Especially Phillies fans, but they're Phillies fans so I expect it.
‼‼?‼‼

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2012, 10:23:15 am »
That's fine, I just don't get the people who are Ravens fans who make fun of or 'don't get' why people are Nats fans. It makes me feel like I'm being trolled. Also, wasn't the ownership of the O's one of the biggest opposers of bringing baseball to DC for years? Going to the Nats/O's series down here was obnoxious and I see no need for that, I'll go to the game at Camden and be civil, I just don't get why people come to DC and act out. Especially Phillies fans, but they're Phillies fans so I expect it.
Yes, Angelos cockblocked a dc team for years, with a lot of cooperation from Bud Selig.

IMO Angelos is an even worse owner than Daniel Snyder. 

hutch

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2012, 10:29:56 am »
Not only did the Orioles organization prevent DC from getting a team but I believe in the final agreement the Orioles got at least part of the Nats TV rights...

K8teebug

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2012, 10:40:24 am »

My husband and I went to the nats/O's game last year and sat in front of two of the most obnoxious Nats fans I've ever been around.  That's all of baseball.  I went in my Orioles gear to Fenway and didn't encounter a'holes like those two douchebags.  And when we go to another team's house, we sit peacefully and clap for our team if they do something fun. 

K8teebug

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2012, 10:41:16 am »
Now can we please get back to talking about how fun the Orioles are to watch this year?

They lost last night to a great Mets pitcher and it was STILL a fun game to watch.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2012, 12:03:54 pm »
Not only did the Orioles organization prevent DC from getting a team but I believe in the final agreement the Orioles got at least part of the Nats TV rights...

More than part of it.  More like most of it.  MLB gave Angelos a whopping 90% cut of MASN.  The Nats stake in it grows 1% per year, and will cap at 33%.  Now it's at 14% i think.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2012, 12:12:17 pm »
I don't think you will find any O's fan that is also a Angelos fan.

K8teebug

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2012, 12:34:20 pm »
no.

hutch

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2012, 01:51:51 pm »
I don't think you will find any O's fan that is also a Angelos fan.

Of course not.. having said that it is the ORIOLES organization that shafted and continues to shaft the Nationals in this case taking our money for NOTHING.  It is the ORIOLES organization that prevented DC from getting a team for YEARs so DC peeps had to get on 495 during frickin' rush hour to get to the ballgame.

As far as fans.. I think Orioles fans are close to the best there is although they were lame at the one Orioles-Nats game I saw here in DC..fortunately a Nats player hit a home run in extra innings to shut them up when they were woopin' it up as if they'd won the game (they were leading). I think it was Ronnie Belliard that hit the home run.

I have been to many games at Camden Yards and had many great times.. I love the place. Far better than Nats Stadium. I'm just not going to sit here and hold back on how much the Orioles are screwing the Nats and how there are far too many people in DC that say "Oh, the Nats are my 2nd team" as if that means anything! You live in a town for 20 years and can't get behind your local team because your grandaddy took you to a Yankee game when you were 7???
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 01:55:42 pm by hutch »