Author Topic: Musicological banter  (Read 854476 times)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Re: Musicological banter
« Reply #1950 on: December 06, 2017, 02:52:06 pm »
This week's Song Exploder takes on Nine Inch Nails

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1952 on: December 19, 2017, 02:29:00 pm »
Kam Franklin the Suffers singer has a Nu Metal covers EP in the works... consider me interested and confused
T.Rex

ggw

walkonbyeeeeeeeee

« Reply #1954 on: January 11, 2018, 10:53:02 pm »
So, what really happened to Front 242? Did, they just give up on putting out incredible albums like those two back-to-back masterpieces they did?  Should I stop wanting them to keep putting out things like, up evil and off?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1955 on: January 12, 2018, 02:01:27 am »
So, what really happened to Front 242? Did, they just give up on putting out incredible albums like those two back-to-back masterpieces they did?  Should I stop wanting them to keep putting out things like, up evil and off?

well, those two albums came out in 1993... so yeah, i wouldn't hold my breath.  have you listened to "pulse"?

FYI they'll be touring the US again in april.  closest show appears to be at the troc in philly, on saturday 4/14.  they played baltimore this past october.
<sig>

ggw

« Reply #1956 on: January 12, 2018, 11:04:17 am »
https://twitter.com/John_Fogerty/status/951592439369928711

There is a movie in current release called ‘Proud Mary.’ I don’t know much about it other than this. The main character is a black woman who is also an assassin. And apparently, her name is Mary. I wrote the song ‘Proud Mary’ 50 years ago, and I was very excited to have written such a good song.  In fact, it was my very first good song. My songs are special to me.  Precious. So it irks me when people seek to capitalize on the popularity of my music and the good will it has earned with the public for their own financial gain. Over the years, I have often found myself directly opposed to these uses. This movie has nothing to do with me, or my song. They simply picked the title and wrote a completely fictitious story around it. Back in the day, I had decided that I needed to become more professional, more organized about my songwriting efforts. I bought a little notebook and after few days, I wrote down the words. Proud Mary. It was the very first entry in this book.  At first, I didn’t even know what those words meant. No one ever asked me about using my song this way, or even about the meaning of ‘Proud Mary.’  The movie poster has my lyrics changed to read…. ‘killing for the Man every night and day.’ I wrote the song about a mythical riverboat, cruising on a mythical river, in a mythical time. Perhaps, the setting was ‘back in time’ on the Mississippi River. It was obviously a metaphor about leaving painful, stressful things behind for a more tranquil and meaningful life. 
Far from a story about killing people for money."

vansmack

« Reply #1957 on: January 12, 2018, 01:40:34 pm »
I saw the trailer when I saw The Last Jedi, and the song was definitely in the trailer (not his version, of course).  Is he saying he didn't authorize that too, because I have a tough time believing that.

Looks to me like he might not have asked enough questions and has some regret over authorizing it's use - a far cry from what he argued in that tweet.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 01:42:31 pm by vansmack »
27>34

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #1958 on: January 12, 2018, 04:17:23 pm »
Eric Clapton: 'I'm Going Deaf'

notme

« Reply #1959 on: January 12, 2018, 11:27:34 pm »
Fogerty might not own the rights to Proud Mary. He does not own the rights to most (if not all) of his music from the 60s. His 60s record label Fantasy owns the rights. Up until the 2000s, he either could not or would not play the songs live.

ggw

« Reply #1960 on: January 19, 2018, 11:36:21 am »
Fogerty might not own the rights to Proud Mary. He does not own the rights to most (if not all) of his music from the 60s. His 60s record label Fantasy owns the rights. Up until the 2000s, he either could not or would not play the songs live.

You are correct - Fogerty does not own the rights.  The New York Times agrees with Fogerty, with their film reviewer writing, "It's such a tone-deaf misappropriation of music that it left me feeling litigious."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/19/movies/proud-mary-john-fogerty-taraji-p-henson.html

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
😐 🎶

ggw

« Reply #1962 on: January 27, 2018, 07:17:15 pm »
Songwriters Score Win Over Streaming Services With Pay Hike

By Lananh Nguyen  and Lucas Shaw
January 27, 2018, 2:47 PM EST Updated on January 27, 2018, 5:13 PM EST

Artists’ share of revenue increased to 15.1% from 10.5%
‘Good day for songwriters,’ bad one for Spotify, Pandora

Songwriters will get a larger cut of revenue from streaming services after a court handed technology companies a big defeat.

The Copyright Royalty Board ruled that songwriters will get at least a 15.1 percent share of streaming revenues over the next five years, from a previous 10.5 percent. That’s the largest rate increase in CRB history, according to a statement from the National Music Publishers’ Association.

The decision is a major victory for songwriters, who have long complained they are insufficiently uncompensated by on-demand music services like Spotify and YouTube. Streaming services account for the largest share of music industry sales in the U.S., while global streaming sales jumped 60 percent in 2016, according to the IFPI. 

“It’s a good day for songwriters,” NMPA president David Israelite said. “This is the first time the court has litigated the contribution of songwriters to these digital platforms.”

Songwriters had also been pushing to get paid each time a song is streamed. Israelite said the rate increase made up for that defeat.

The decision was made after a trial in which NMPA and the Nashville Songwriters Association International represented music publishers and songwriters against Alphabet Inc., which owns YouTube and Google; Amazon.com Inc., Apple Inc., Spotify Technology and Pandora Media Inc.

The ruling will increase costs for Spotify, the world’s largest paid online music service. It already says it loses money because of the cost of music rights.

ggw

« Reply #1963 on: January 31, 2018, 07:52:08 pm »

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #1964 on: February 07, 2018, 08:03:36 pm »
Rock ain’t nothing but a white version of rhythm and blues, motherfucker.

Yes, this Quincy Jones interview has been all over the twitternet today, but ICYMI go have a good time reading it.
😐 🎶