Author Topic: Musicological banter  (Read 854533 times)

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
Musicological banter
« on: July 22, 2012, 08:41:42 pm »
New thread to keep other on topic. And we needed this, anyway.

The G4S Corporate Theme Song....

http://www.thestoolpigeon.co.uk/features/g4s-corporate-song-securing-your-world.html

Yeah  it's as bad you think...

I've said to others that if you want to hear what mainstream rock sounded like 20 years ago, listen to country radio today. Jon Bon Jovi knew exactly what he was doing.

For rock and pop stars, including Staind?s Aaron Lewis, country isn?t an easy genre to crack

Because Darius Rucker already beat them there?  And isn't Bon Jovi's current stuff sounding more and more Country Rock these days, so is that because Country Rock caught up with them?

Bon Jovi's core fans from his hair metal salad days are now well into their 40s (and a few beyond). Many probably listen to country because indie, alternative, classic rock, and CHR ignore them. But they like radio and country is the only format that appeals to them. New stuff from Bon Jovi didn't stand a chance on any rock or hit format so he subtly retooled his sound to satisfy his core fans' current sensibilities. That change meshed in well with current country.
😐 🎶

slappy

Re: Musicological banter
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 11:07:44 am »
Good interview just posted on Mother Jones with Ketch Secor from Old Crow Medicine Show.
http://www.motherjones.com/media/2012/07/interview-old-crow-medicine-show

I bet he'd agree with you on Bon Jovi.

"That stuff coming out of Nashville now wants to see a woman looking good in the kitchen whipping up some biscuits. A woman who knows how to handle her minivan at the mall. It's a concrete jungle out there, darlin'. Turn up your radio and get into a bubble bath kind of thing."

evilizac

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 01:28:23 pm »
The fact of the matter is that the mainstream is entirely populated with highly calculated low risk acts regardless of genre. Any country that isn't in the strict vein of its set type is quickly picked up by some "indie" community.
WHAT?

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 02:29:18 pm »
though i know most venues hate the jam band scene due to all those crazy kids wanting to smoke pot . . . but damn you know they love the amount of alcohol they sell at those shows.  i went to see coldplay and the wall, was a ghost town at the lines; kiss/motley crue, yeah they were buying but not in waves of good god how long do i have to wait in this line.  now at any jam show (phish/moe/widespread/furthur/dso/disco) you have people fighting hand over fist to get beer.  beer lines at jam shows are sure ways to miss a bunch of songs.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 10:39:09 am »
EDM RIP 2012- First Brostep and now this - Mark Foster (of Foster the people) has a forthcoming Electronic Dance music side project. 
T.Rex

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 01:18:46 pm »
http://entertainment.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/07/13054841-wtf-is-this-the-millennial-generations-woodstock?lite

this seems like for people WLM (With Lots or Loads of Money) where everything and anything there would cost insane amounts of money.  like what they were charging for booklets and t shirts at the verizon roger waters the wall show.  and lines not worth waiting in at each booth.

vansmack

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 01:37:47 pm »
I don't like country music, but I'm glad my girlfriend does.
27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 02:08:14 pm »
http://entertainment.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/07/13054841-wtf-is-this-the-millennial-generations-woodstock?lite

this seems like for people WLM (With Lots or Loads of Money) where everything and anything there would cost insane amounts of money.  like what they were charging for booklets and t shirts at the verizon roger waters the wall show.  and lines not worth waiting in at each booth.

what do think is driving all this monster boxset and deluxe releases at this point.  i'm sure that bands that still have even a small but very loyal fanbase, know they are doing already well enought to cough up premium dollars for a well put together re-release.  also, look at the success of some of those kickstarter campaigns where even the premiums in the hundreds of dollars are snapped up.
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 02:46:52 pm »

what do think is driving all this monster boxset and deluxe releases at this point.  i'm sure that bands that still have even a small but very loyal fanbase, know they are doing already well enought to cough up premium dollars for a well put together re-release.  also, look at the success of some of those kickstarter campaigns where even the premiums in the hundreds of dollars are snapped up.

short version of this nerds/geeks have lots of disposable cash
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 09:21:47 pm »
I hope everyone has enjoyed seeing M83 in more intimate venues as a track of that group has now appeared on a Now That's What I Call Music compilation. Kind wanted a Skrillex track to show on one of those to continue with the death of EDM in 2012.
T.Rex

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 07:23:57 pm »
Beck's next album on pre-Edison format only

Seeking an even less user-friendly alternative to vinyl, singer Beck has announced that his upcoming album will be released solely as individual pieces of sheet music, placing the onus of "playing music that can be heard" on consumers themselves.

According to the musician's website, Beck Handsen's Song Reader will consist of twenty songs' worth of sheet music, assembled into twenty individual song booklets, each decorated with "full-color, heyday-of- home-play-inspired art," and stored in a "lavishly produced hardcover carrying case."

The full package is reportedly "as visually absorbing as a dozen gatefold LPs put together," or, in layman's terms, as visually absorbing as a dozen foldout pictures.

But what of the music itself? Beck's website assures readers that the songs are really quite good, particularly for musicians who have been trained to play them, like Beck.

cont.
😐 🎶

azaghal1981

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 09:21:55 pm »
Translation: Beck Hasn't done anything worthwhile in almost a decade and wants to get his name in the press again.

I still say it was downhill after One Foot in the Grave.
احمد

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 09:17:58 pm »
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 10:04:14 pm »
Just found the most awesome website ever...

http://musichistoryingifs.com/
T.Rex

atomicfront

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 04:17:47 pm »
Just found the most awesome website ever...

"1965.  bob dylan plays his first electric set at the newport folk festival.  his dumb acoustic fans are all “booooo”

later they realize they were dumb."

Perhaps the fans weren't booing because Dylan went electric...maybe they were booing because he can't sing.