Author Topic: Musicological banter  (Read 863236 times)

bearman🐻

Re: Musicological banter
« Reply #240 on: October 01, 2013, 05:04:06 pm »
Joy Division awful? Unambitious? What a bunch of twats.

Joy Division was an awful band.  One decent song.  New Order is 100 times better.

Yawn.

Yeah that is how I feel about Joy Division.  Boring.  But "Love will tear us apart" was a decent song.  They should have done more like that one.

Nope. They were and are perfect. Their music is a soulful gift to thousands (possibly millions) of people who think they were one of the most dramatic and flawless examples of modern music is. And I'm grateful that they never had the chance to be overplayed and commercialized the way New Order was. I love New Order too for completely different reasons, but ultimately Joy Division will always trump New Order. And if you don't understand why "Transmission", "Shadowplay", "Atmosphere" and "Dead Souls" are some of the greatest pieces of recorded music, then I suggest you revisit them with open ears. Maybe you'll change your mind.

atomic

« Reply #241 on: October 01, 2013, 05:30:29 pm »
Joy Division awful? Unambitious? What a bunch of twats.

Joy Division was an awful band.  One decent song.  New Order is 100 times better.

Yawn.

Yeah that is how I feel about Joy Division.  Boring.  But "Love will tear us apart" was a decent song.  They should have done more like that one.

Nope. They were and are perfect. Their music is a soulful gift to thousands (possibly millions) of people who think they were one of the most dramatic and flawless examples of modern music is. And I'm grateful that they never had the chance to be overplayed and commercialized the way New Order was. I love New Order too for completely different reasons, but ultimately Joy Division will always trump New Order. And if you don't understand why "Transmission", "Shadowplay", "Atmosphere" and "Dead Souls" are some of the greatest pieces of recorded music, then I suggest you revisit them with open ears. Maybe you'll change your mind.

"Dead Souls" is a good song.  I do like Nine Inch Nails version better though.  New Order is better as it is more original and you can dance to it.  Sorry I am not a fan of Joy Division.  I listened to that stuff when it first came out.  Funny there used to be a band in Baltimore called Grey March that was a Joy Division rip off band and I love them.  But I think they had a little more kick to their music.  Who knows I like Interpol's first couple of albums as well. 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 05:33:48 pm by atomic »

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #242 on: October 01, 2013, 06:32:56 pm »
Not sure what Just Announced thread this goes in, so I'm stuffin it here.

Brendan Benson and Friends, a concert benefiting the Veterans and Children of Nashville, presented by the David Lynch Foundation Live and Lightning 100. The night will be filled with special performances from Brendan Benson with , Adriel Denae, Eric Burdon, Butch Walker, Jessie Baylin, Ken Stringfellow, Jon Auer, Cory Chisel, Willy Mason, The Howlin? Brothers (also opening), Young Hines, Jack White and more
TBA.

Ryman Auditorium
Nashville, TN

Tickets on sale 10/4:
http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/1B004B3C10A3A53B

T.Rex

killsaly

« Reply #243 on: October 01, 2013, 07:06:41 pm »
http://www.redbull.com/us/en/music/stories/1331613196703/best-30-guitarists-under-30-part-1
I watched a few of these guitarists this year (Daniel Bachman, Denny Bowen of Roomrunner, Sadie Dupuis of Speedy Ortiz, and Phoebe Harris of Potty Mouth).

vansmack

« Reply #244 on: October 01, 2013, 08:01:04 pm »

This is the best thing to come out of the government shutdown so far.
27>34

« Reply #245 on: October 01, 2013, 11:33:13 pm »

This is the best thing to come out of the government shutdown so far.

+1
slack

azaghal1981

« Reply #246 on: October 01, 2013, 11:53:21 pm »
Haha a friend of mine was complaining about this list tonight.

http://www.redbull.com/us/en/music/stories/1331613196703/best-30-guitarists-under-30-part-1
I watched a few of these guitarists this year (Daniel Bachman, Denny Bowen of Roomrunner, Sadie Dupuis of Speedy Ortiz, and Phoebe Harris of Potty Mouth).
احمد

ggw

« Reply #247 on: October 02, 2013, 12:26:31 am »
Not sure what Just Announced thread this goes in, so I'm stuffin it here.

Brendan Benson and Friends, a concert benefiting the Veterans and Children of Nashville, presented by the David Lynch Foundation Live and Lightning 100. The night will be filled with special performances from Brendan Benson with , Adriel Denae, Eric Burdon, Butch Walker, Jessie Baylin, Ken Stringfellow, Jon Auer, Cory Chisel, Willy Mason, The Howlin? Brothers (also opening), Young Hines, Jack White and more
TBA.

Ryman Auditorium
Nashville, TN

Tickets on sale 10/4:
http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/1B004B3C10A3A53B

I find this concert strangely fascinating.  The David Lynch Foundation is all about promoting Transcendental Meditation - not that there's anything wrong with that.  Interesting line-up. 

azaghal1981

« Reply #248 on: October 02, 2013, 12:38:35 am »
Not a bad list, over all. There are a few headscratchers but it's hard to argue with most of those.
Marissa Paternoster is not 30 yet, is she? She better be in the second half if not!
احمد

killsaly

« Reply #249 on: October 02, 2013, 12:58:43 pm »
http://blip.tv/indieacrossamerica/episode-2-sharkweek-and-baltimore-6648715
Bullshit, Bullshit, Bullshit, Bullshit, Bullshit, Bullshit, Bullshit, Bullshit, Bullshit, Bullshit, Bullshit.

The hell is wrong with Blip.TV?  DO some research!  If you are doing a segment on BALTIMORE bands and the city's scene, DO NOT feature a DC band.  http://sharkweekdc.bandcamp.com/

Is there any doubt that Shark Week are a DC band?  NO.  I dont know why they agreed to this.  Playing three shows in a city in a year does NOT MEAN THE BAND IS SPLITTING TIME between DC and Baltimore.  You are a DC band Shark Week, you should be on the DC episode of this. 

I actually like Shark Week, but no.  Were the 500 good BALTIMORE bands busy?  Did the producers get lazy?  The hell is the point of this? 

Sorry but this is just annoying.  I love Baltimore's scene (as I am sure most of you who pay attention to what I post know) and this is not about a Baltimore band.  I will give them credit for the way they DESCRIBE the Baltimore, DIY scene.  But no. 

END RANT

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #251 on: October 02, 2013, 02:12:32 pm »
http://blip.tv/indieacrossamerica/episode-2-sharkweek-and-baltimore-6648715
Bullshit, Bullshit, Bullshit, Bullshit, Bullshit, Bullshit, Bullshit, Bullshit, Bullshit, Bullshit, Bullshit.

The hell is wrong with Blip.TV?  DO some research!  If you are doing a segment on BALTIMORE bands and the city's scene, DO NOT feature a DC band.  http://sharkweekdc.bandcamp.com/

Is there any doubt that Shark Week are a DC band?  NO.  I dont know why they agreed to this.  Playing three shows in a city in a year does NOT MEAN THE BAND IS SPLITTING TIME between DC and Baltimore.  You are a DC band Shark Week, you should be on the DC episode of this. 

I actually like Shark Week, but no.  Were the 500 good BALTIMORE bands busy?  Did the producers get lazy?  The hell is the point of this? 

Sorry but this is just annoying.  I love Baltimore's scene (as I am sure most of you who pay attention to what I post know) and this is not about a Baltimore band.  I will give them credit for the way they DESCRIBE the Baltimore, DIY scene.  But no. 

END RANT
after watching the first 30 seconds of this moronic piece of crap the whole dc/balt thing is the last thing i take exception too.

killsaly

« Reply #252 on: October 02, 2013, 02:19:43 pm »
That was what was on my mind when i typed my rant.  I also had a huge problem with the statement quoted below, from the City Paper write up:

?Here?s the thing, I looked into Baltimore and I couldn?t find out a whole lot about its music scene,? Holmes says, as if his first name were Sherlock. He evidently did not look to our own Big Baltimore Playlist or talk to any of the many local labels. And he acts as if he has never even heard that Rolling Stone named Baltimore the best music scene in the country in 2008, pretending that bands like Beach House, Wye Oak, and Dan Deacon don?t exist.

But, have no fear because Holmes promises that ?We?re going to give this place an identity. We?re putting Baltimore on the map.?

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #253 on: October 02, 2013, 06:06:44 pm »
the only thing i know a boot baltimore music, is one thing, and that is not saying a lot.  when a band plays dc, it sells out.  when a band plays baltimore, it does not.  equal sized cities?  equal sized, people give a shit about?

azaghal1981

« Reply #254 on: October 02, 2013, 10:01:04 pm »
Part 2 of that Red Bull list is full of more meh-ness but most of the best ones were hit IMO. http://www.redbull.com/us/en/music/stories/1331612905828/30-guitarists-under-30-part2

I guess he was running out of options when he started tapping Vampire Weekend, Diiv and Fallout Boy.
احمد