Author Topic: Musicological banter  (Read 863555 times)

atomic

Re: Musicological banter
« Reply #345 on: December 12, 2013, 07:23:21 pm »
I find it funny when someone doesn't like the lamest person alive it is because of race.  Who thinks about race like this..I guess Kanye fans. 

« Reply #346 on: December 12, 2013, 09:59:25 pm »
'Yeezus' was a major hit 
Yawn...since when does being a major hit actually mean good music

He is playing an overwhelmingly praised tour in arenas,

again yawn...but I'm sure everyone enjoyed it.  I'm really not at all impressed with KW
I've listened to his albums and I just can't get into it

I will say for me, it 100% NOT because he's black (when it comes to music...I almost always bet on black)

The only thing that I have ever found redeeming is that cover that Dia Frampton did on the voice
http://youtu.be/Vh25mvAkN9U

So I might say he's a good song writer, but I've never enjoyed his delivery or presentation

I also think in 20 years, he won't have a legacy like James Brown or David Bowie or Frank Zappa or Lou Reed or Stevie Wonder or Johnny Cash or Public Enemy or Grandmaster Flash or Freddy Mercury and so on and so on

Hey relaxer....relax. IMHO there are far more talented and interesting performers to go to the mat for.  Art is subjective....
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 10:08:44 pm by Sidehatch »
slack

hutch

« Reply #347 on: December 12, 2013, 10:48:41 pm »
^did you see what Lou Reed wrote, just weeks before he died, about Kanye's last album ? 

has to, at the very least, give one pause...

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #348 on: December 12, 2013, 11:00:48 pm »
i saw him at the mtv show and he was one row away and he didn't even say hello.  i dont get it.  you know I hate lou, i really do.  he won't even hire us for his videos, and I was so proud of him.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 11:03:47 pm by walkonby »

hutch

« Reply #349 on: December 12, 2013, 11:04:45 pm »
i saw him at the mtv show and he was one row away and he didn't even say hello.  i dont get it.  you know I hate lou, i really do.  he won't even hire us for his videos, and I was so proud of him.

oh god ... please tell me lou hasn't been added to "walkie's blacklist"...

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #350 on: December 13, 2013, 08:33:26 am »
^did you see what Lou Reed wrote, just weeks before he died, about Kanye's last album ? 

Hutch, you're an adult, right?  Did your parents divorce when you were young?  I'm totally dumbfounded at why adults worship certain music artists:

"Did you hear what LOU REED said about Kanye West, huh?  HUH?  LOU REED, THE GREATEST ROCK ARTIST EVER!  THE MAN WITH THE MOST INTEGRITY EVER!  THE MAN WHO INVENTED ALTERNATIVE MUSIC!?!?!!  Did you hear what HE said about Kanye West?"

Who gives a shit?  I don't care what Lou Reed thought about anything.  Lou Reed was just another musician.  Just another song writer.  A good one, yes.  Innovative, sure. 

People like you, hutch, who follow musicians like the disciples followed Jesus and venerate their opinions as gospel just...I don't get you.   People do this with Lennon and Dylan and.......

Musicians and the music they produce is fantastic.  Music makes life worth living.  But to put some artist who when they die they get put on the cover of Rolling Stone on a pedestal is foolish for a society to do.  Lou Reed's opinion is not more valid or more intelligent or more introspective than your or my opinion.  It really isn't.  I suggest you wake up.

Brian

hutch

« Reply #351 on: December 13, 2013, 08:57:15 am »

Hutch, you're an adult, right?  Did your parents divorce when you were young?  I'm totally dumbfounded at why adults worship certain music artists:

"Did you hear what LOU REED said about Kanye West, huh?  HUH?  LOU REED, THE GREATEST ROCK ARTIST EVER!  THE MAN WITH THE MOST INTEGRITY EVER!  THE MAN WHO INVENTED ALTERNATIVE MUSIC!?!?!!  Did you hear what HE said about Kanye West?"

Who gives a shit?  I don't care what Lou Reed thought about anything.  Lou Reed was just another musician.  Just another song writer.  A good one, yes.  Innovative, sure. 

People like you, hutch, who follow musicians like the disciples followed Jesus and venerate their opinions as gospel just...I don't get you.   People do this with Lennon and Dylan and.......

Musicians and the music they produce is fantastic.  Music makes life worth living.  But to put some artist who when they die they get put on the cover of Rolling Stone on a pedestal is foolish for a society to do.  Lou Reed's opinion is not more valid or more intelligent or more introspective than your or my opinion.  It really isn't.  I suggest you wake up.

Brian

uh oh

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #352 on: December 13, 2013, 09:10:39 am »
'Yeezus' was a major hit, which spawned 'Black Skinhead'.
I'm not getting into this argument in whole but let me just say anecdotally: I listen to pop radio probably more than the average person on here and I have not heard a new Kanye West song on a Top 40 station off the last two records. I could not tell you the chorus to Black Skinhead.
LVMH

Relaxer

« Reply #353 on: December 13, 2013, 10:09:57 am »
I heard it twice last night on tv, in the preview for the new Scorsese movie and for, I think, T-Mobile. But you know, I don't really care about any of this any more.
oword

hutch

« Reply #354 on: December 13, 2013, 10:11:13 am »
First of all, and I really have to leave this fascinating conversation to take my kid to storytime, like many people on this thread I don't get Kanye West...I may never even bother to listen to his music again...

but I pay attention to the dentist when he has something to say about teeth and, likewise, I listen to the musician when he has something to say about music.. I may not always agree though...but I at least listen because much as I love my teeth I love music....I'm at least interested... If he's one of the finest songwriters of any generation I may listen a bit harder..I don't consider that "worship" but common sense... and if those happen to be Lou Reed's last published words I may pay even a bit more attention because, you know, he contributed a lot to my life....he gave me great joy... I hope that doesn't make me a bad person or a childish one.. I think its called experience.... you know: live and learn..

What I try not to do is pay attention to what a critic with no actual experience making music, or some random internet poster wants to tell me about what music I should listen to...that's a whole different enchilada..

atomic

« Reply #355 on: December 13, 2013, 11:01:54 am »
First of all, and I really have to leave this fascinating conversation to take my kid to storytime, like many people on this thread I don't get Kanye West...I may never even bother to listen to his music again...

but I pay attention to the dentist when he has something to say about teeth and, likewise, I listen to the musician when he has something to say about music.. I may not always agree though...but I at least listen because much as I love my teeth I love music....I'm at least interested... If he's one of the finest songwriters of any generation I may listen a bit harder..I don't consider that "worship" but common sense... and if those happen to be Lou Reed's last published words I may pay even a bit more attention because, you know, he contributed a lot to my life....he gave me great joy... I hope that doesn't make me a bad person or a childish one.. I think its called experience.... you know: live and learn..

What I try not to do is pay attention to what a critic with no actual experience making music, or some random internet poster wants to tell me about what music I should listen to...that's a whole different enchilada..

Lou Reed hadn't done anything worth listening since "Transformer". If he knew so much about music why did he suck for 40 years? 

James Ford

« Reply #356 on: December 13, 2013, 11:16:31 am »
god knows I'm not a Lou Reed/VU fan, but New York is an album very worth listening to.

I've listened to a couple of Kanye albums, and can say that I'd be happy to never hear him again. The fact that he's a total douche seals the deal.

Lou Reed hadn't done anything worth listening since "Transformer". If he knew so much about music why did he suck for 40 years? 

« Reply #357 on: December 13, 2013, 12:53:08 pm »
In a related story

Small-Town Police Chief to Kanye West: 'Check Yourself, Before You Wreck Yourself'

"This comes just days after West compared the danger of his work to that of police officers and soldiers in war, telling a radio host he puts his life "literally" on the line each day.

After all, the rapper noted, he could slip on stage."

Can't believe I've got something in common with JF...but yes this man is a Douche
slack

stevewizzle

« Reply #358 on: December 13, 2013, 01:42:33 pm »
i appreciated Laura Mayberry's article on feminism a month or so go back, but i loved this take by Mish Way. 

http://www.self-titledmag.com/2013/12/13/white-lungs-mish-way-on-message-boards-corrosion-of-conformity-and-hardcore-singer-chris-thomson/

stevewizzle

« Reply #359 on: December 13, 2013, 07:26:20 pm »
RE: The Kanye West discussion.

i feel like kanye is pretty smart about his art.  i hated yeezus, but i've enjoyed past albums, and respect the fact that in 20 years people will look at him as the defining pop artist of the past decade. yeezus was every bit calculated, it's completely different from the rest of his style/discography, similiar to 808&HB.  people will look back, and say "remember that black activist album he made?", and "remember the auto-tune album he did?" just as people look back at pink floyd's the wall, the beatle's helter skelter, lou reed's metal machine music, etc..

like it or hate it, the guy does an incredible job about making people talk about his music, and that's what makes music icons live on.