Author Topic: Musicological banter  (Read 863594 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Musicological banter
« Reply #405 on: January 29, 2014, 10:41:13 pm »
Is there a pop musician with more success and less impact on culture than Billy Joel?
Off the top of my head, Eagles and ABBA.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #406 on: January 29, 2014, 11:15:08 pm »
Is there a pop musician with more success and less impact on culture than Billy Joel?

Barry Manilow has to take this...

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #407 on: January 29, 2014, 11:45:49 pm »
Celine Dion?  Or does keeping Cory Hart employed count...
T.Rex

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #408 on: January 30, 2014, 09:11:36 am »

What do you mean by "impact on culture?"  God, that's such a Generation whatever, navel-gazing phrase.  In no way am I defending Billy Joel, but what a snooty, elitist comment.  Do YOU even know what you're asking?

I assume someone like Bowie or Lou Reed, in your opinion, has had a huge "impact on culture?"  Really?  Maybe for the 0.00001% of culture who actually play an instrument and/or are in a band. 

Are you talking about the culture of clothing?  Yes, "rock stars" with destinctive styles of dress can cause young fans to dress like them.  I'm thinking Madonna when she started out.  But did people ever really dress like Springsteen or Mick Jagger?

I would say Billy Joel has a huge impact on culture simply due to the fact that for 10 solid years, every woman entering college was issued "Billy Joel's Greatest Hits Vol. 1 and 2" along with some tampons.

"Impact on culture."  That's just what this generation does.  Wonders about "impacts on culture."

I guarantee you more young men and women "connected" over "She's Got a Way" or "Big Shot" than "Sweet Jane" or "Five Years."

Brian

« Reply #409 on: January 30, 2014, 09:52:34 am »
I guarantee you more young men and women "connected" over "She's Got a Way" or "Big Shot" than "Sweet Jane" or "Five Years."
Yeah but...only the hot chicks listened to the latter. 
I usually steered clear of anyone who had Dave Matthews or Hootie and the Blowfish in their cd collection.  Usually said a lot about the person. (did seem the easy ones always had Dave Matthews)
slack

James Ford

« Reply #410 on: January 30, 2014, 10:04:26 am »
I can't wait for Brian's reply.

Yeah but...only the hot chicks listened to the latter. 
I usually steered clear of anyone who had Dave Matthews or Hootie and the Blowfish in their cd collection.  Usually said a lot about the person. (did seem the easy ones always had Dave Matthews)

atomic

« Reply #411 on: January 30, 2014, 10:43:31 am »

Really have you ever dated a woman or a gay man?  They love ABBA.  Shit I love ABBA.   Of course, I ,like normal people, like Billy Joel, too.   Glass Houses and the Stranger are masterpieces.

atomic

« Reply #412 on: January 30, 2014, 10:45:55 am »

What do you mean by "impact on culture?"  God, that's such a Generation whatever, navel-gazing phrase.  In no way am I defending Billy Joel, but what a snooty, elitist comment.  Do YOU even know what you're asking?

I assume someone like Bowie or Lou Reed, in your opinion, has had a huge "impact on culture?"  Really?  Maybe for the 0.00001% of culture who actually play an instrument and/or are in a band. 

Are you talking about the culture of clothing?  Yes, "rock stars" with destinctive styles of dress can cause young fans to dress like them.  I'm thinking Madonna when she started out.  But did people ever really dress like Springsteen or Mick Jagger?

I would say Billy Joel has a huge impact on culture simply due to the fact that for 10 solid years, every woman entering college was issued "Billy Joel's Greatest Hits Vol. 1 and 2" along with some tampons.

"Impact on culture."  That's just what this generation does.  Wonders about "impacts on culture."

Brian

"Sweet Jane" is awful.  That is basically sucky Lou Reed solo.  No Velvet Undeground on that song.  No one has gotten most out of a career from one album that he was just one member of a band than Lou Reed.  First Velvet's album one of the best albums of all time.  "Stepahanie Says" great song.  "After Hours" decent song.  Rest of Velvet catalog "shit".

« Reply #413 on: January 30, 2014, 11:06:31 am »
Really have you ever dated a woman or a gay man?  They love ABBA.  Shit I love ABBA.   Of course, I ,like normal people, like Billy Joel, too.   Glass Houses and the Stranger are masterpieces.
There's a difference between people owning the CD (which a lot of people do with regard to The Eagles) and having an effect on the culture (which as Brian mentions is a nebulous at best concept).

How do you think The Eagles "affected our culture"?
LVMH

James Ford

« Reply #414 on: January 30, 2014, 11:15:19 am »
They were the inspiration for 95% of what is today called "country" music. Hence, serving as an inspiration for moving country music from its distinct Southern hillbilly roots and fan base to a light rock-Chevy truck commercial sound and geographically and socioeconomically indistinct fan base.

There's a difference between people owning the CD (which a lot of people do with regard to The Eagles) and having an effect on the culture (which as Brian mentions is a nebulous at best concept).

atomic

« Reply #415 on: January 30, 2014, 11:17:23 am »

I really don't know that much about the Eagles but ABBA made our world a happier place.  What has any band done to affect our culture.   What did Radiohead do for our culture?  Make us more accepting of really ugly people?

hutch

« Reply #416 on: January 30, 2014, 11:20:27 am »
They were the inspiration for 95% of what is today called "country" music. Hence, serving as an inspiration for moving country music from its distinct Southern hillbilly roots and fan base to a light rock-Chevy truck commercial sound and geographically and socioeconomically indistinct fan base.

Ummm... lots of big words but no...

« Reply #417 on: January 30, 2014, 11:23:12 am »

Country music moved away from its distinct hillbilly roots and fan base solely because of the self-generated forward momentum of one Miss Taylor Swift, a ruthlessly efficient media mogul who has clawed her way to the top of a crumbling music industry infrastructure.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 11:30:14 am by Julian, Community ORGANIZER »
LVMH

James Ford

« Reply #418 on: January 30, 2014, 11:28:32 am »
Vince Gill was  quoted as saying the Eagles have influenced more people than Ernest Tubb, and therefore should join him in Country Music's Hall of Fame.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is different, though, is country music. There?s been a lot of cross-pollination between rock and pop and country, and ?country music is now akin to what my generation was listening to in the ?60s and ?70s,? Henley said.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

When the Eagles debuted in the mid-'70s, their brand of lighthearted crossover country was more crossover than country, getting play on stations like New York's WHN but alienating plenty of down-home traditionalists. These days, though, updated sonics are the only thing separating early hits like "Take It Easy" from your average country playlist; the song's suggestion that you "lighten up while you still can" still resonates with a generation of Kenny Chesneys and Zac Browns.

Ummm... lots of big words but no...

« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 11:32:05 am by James Ford »

« Reply #419 on: January 30, 2014, 11:29:52 am »

Vince Gill was  quoted as saying the Eagles have influenced more people than Ernest Tubb, and therefore should join him in Country Music's Hall of Fame.
More than ERNEST TUBB? I revoke my argument. Jesus Christ, how could I have been so wrong.
LVMH