Author Topic: Musicological banter  (Read 863375 times)

ggw

Re: Musicological banter
« Reply #495 on: February 06, 2014, 05:53:54 pm »

A study called ?Egalitarianism, Housework and Sexual Frequency in Marriage,? which appeared in The American Sociological Review last year, surprised many, precisely because it went against the logical assumption that as marriages improve by becoming more equal, the sex in these marriages will improve, too. Instead, it found that when men did certain kinds of chores around the house, couples had less sex. Specifically, if men did all of what the researchers characterized as feminine chores like folding laundry, cooking or vacuuming ? the kinds of things many women say they want their husbands to do ? then couples had sex 1.5 fewer times per month than those with husbands who did what were considered masculine chores, like taking out the trash or fixing the car. It wasn?t just the frequency that was affected, either ? at least for the wives. The more traditional the division of labor, meaning the greater the husband?s share of masculine chores compared with feminine ones, the greater his wife?s reported sexual satisfaction.

atomic

« Reply #496 on: February 06, 2014, 06:18:29 pm »

A study called ?Egalitarianism, Housework and Sexual Frequency in Marriage,? which appeared in The American Sociological Review last year, surprised many, precisely because it went against the logical assumption that as marriages improve by becoming more equal, the sex in these marriages will improve, too. Instead, it found that when men did certain kinds of chores around the house, couples had less sex. Specifically, if men did all of what the researchers characterized as feminine chores like folding laundry, cooking or vacuuming ? the kinds of things many women say they want their husbands to do ? then couples had sex 1.5 fewer times per month than those with husbands who did what were considered masculine chores, like taking out the trash or fixing the car. It wasn?t just the frequency that was affected, either ? at least for the wives. The more traditional the division of labor, meaning the greater the husband?s share of masculine chores compared with feminine ones, the greater his wife?s reported sexual satisfaction.

Take note, James Ford.

Hexenjagd

« Reply #497 on: February 06, 2014, 06:25:42 pm »
Agree with 1 and 3 but there is nothing in the definition of "feminist" that says that feminists have to be women.

I did not mean to imply that it cannot exist, I was more making an observation on the absurdity of this rappers claim that he was a feminist rapper.

James Ford

« Reply #498 on: February 06, 2014, 06:27:54 pm »
Having a partner with good cunnilingus skills also probably helps contribute to a woman's reported sexual satisfaction.

I'm not sure if it factors into this conversation, but has anybody seen the movie Don Jon? My wife had a total boner for JGL's character, not because of his chiseled body, but because he was so obsessive about keeping his apartment clean.

Hexenjagd

« Reply #499 on: February 06, 2014, 06:29:28 pm »
Also my main point was music related - he didn't listen to who he booked beforehand.

We can start a male feminist thread...

James Ford

« Reply #500 on: February 06, 2014, 06:37:49 pm »
You're going to send your kid to daycare so that you can have an Audi? That doesn't make you a feminist, it makes you a bad parent.  ;)

Isn't the better thing to say is that you think a child should have a stay at home parent, and in most cases the female is better equipped to be the one who does so? That's my thought on that subject, as well as my wifes.

I don't think saying that makes a person a male or female chauvinist.

Agree with 1 and 3 but there is nothing in the definition of "feminist" that says that feminists have to be women.

agree.

do we really care that much about what someone labels themselves?  i mean really, if someone cares that much that they are going out of their way to label themselves as such, who are we to tell them "no man, your credentials don't match up". if we don't have a way to label ourselves outside the default (misogynist), i don't see a better alternative to using the label "feminist".

So women can call themselves misogynists?  I don't think that is the default.  Misogynist means you hate women.  You can be anti-feminist without hating women.  For example, you could think women should stay at home raising children but that doesn't mean you hate women. 

My wife doesn't think she should work after the child is born but hey that new Audi that I want isn't going to pay for itself.  Does that make me a feminist?

hutch

« Reply #501 on: February 06, 2014, 06:47:18 pm »
You're going to send your kid to daycare so that you can have an Audi? That doesn't make you a feminist, it makes you a bad parent.  ;)

never ceases to amaze me how so many of your posts amount to patting yourself on the back for the choices you make...this is one technique: criticizing people who haven't made the same choices you made... people are not bad parents for sending their kids to daycare

you must be very insecure about the choices you make to need to point out their correctness to strangers on a semi-permanent basis..

stevewizzle

« Reply #502 on: February 06, 2014, 06:47:43 pm »
 ;)

James Ford

« Reply #503 on: February 06, 2014, 06:52:30 pm »
So are you saying that putting a baby in daycare (when it's actually a choice) is actually a better parenting decision than having a loving parent stay home with that baby? Because if you are, you're wrong.

never ceases to amaze me how so many of your posts amount to patting yourself on the back for the choices you make...this is one technique: criticizing people who haven't made the same choices you made... people are not bad parents for sending their kids to daycare

you must be very insecure about the choices you make to need to point out their correctness to strangers on a semi-permanent basis..

stevewizzle

« Reply #504 on: February 06, 2014, 06:54:51 pm »
i just want to apologize to everyone for somehow catalyzing the parenting circle jerk again.

back to music: future islands fucking rules.  how did i just discover these guys?  stoked to see them in a few weeks.

also, i ordered after dark 1 and 2 yesterday on clear vinyl.  spotify streaming did these albums zero justice and i'm stoked to blast this shit on high quality.

Hexenjagd

« Reply #505 on: February 06, 2014, 07:04:54 pm »
I recommend all Of their albums, and also their releases from when they were known as Art Lords and the Self Portraits.

The members are also in these groups: the snails, peals, archer twins, moss of aura (garret solo) and hemlock Ernst (Sam solo rapping).
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 07:06:54 pm by Hexenjagd »

atomic

« Reply #506 on: February 06, 2014, 07:11:42 pm »
Oh well I will be driving my  new  Audi the three miles to work while you sit on a subway for two hours a day.   If it makes you to feel better about it being good parenting more power to you.

Isn't the better thing to say is that you think a child should have a stay at home parent, and in most cases the female is better equipped to be the one who does so? That's my thought on that subject, as well as my wifes.

agree.

do we really care that much about what someone labels themselves?  i mean really, if someone cares that much that they are going out of their way to label themselves as such, who are we to tell them "no man, your credentials don't match up". if we don't have a way to label ourselves outside the default (misogynist), i don't see a better alternative to using the label "feminist".

So women can call themselves misogynists?  I don't think that is the default.  Misogynist means you hate women.  You can be anti-feminist without hating women.  For example, you could think women should stay at home raising children but that doesn't mean you hate women. 

My wife doesn't think she should work after the child is born but hey that new Audi that I want isn't going to pay for itself.  Does that make me a feminist?

James Ford

« Reply #507 on: February 06, 2014, 07:27:35 pm »
Enjoy your ride now, then enjoy your life 30 years from now when your daycare kid puts you in a nursing home.  ;)

Oh well I will be driving my  new  Audi the three miles to work while you sit on a subway for two hours a day.   If it makes you to feel better about it being good parenting more power to you.

agree.

atomic

« Reply #508 on: February 06, 2014, 07:38:58 pm »
Sounds like a plan.  If I am so bad that I need to be in a nursing home I doubt I will care where I am.   

Enjoy your ride now, then enjoy your life 30 years from now when your daycare kid puts you in a nursing home.  ;)

agree.

stevewizzle

« Reply #509 on: February 06, 2014, 07:50:05 pm »
listen: no matter how incredible you are at parenting, someone else is going to be a shitty parent. and their shitty kid is eventually going to cross paths with your kid, and bam, your kid is shitty too.