Author Topic: Musicological banter  (Read 863725 times)

James Ford

Re: Musicological banter
« Reply #510 on: February 06, 2014, 08:09:56 pm »
I'm glad my wife doesn't read this board anymore. If she did, she'd see your comment and use it to further her argument for homeschooling.

So I really like this album.
 http://www.npr.org/2014/01/26/264996373/first-listen-jeremy-messersmith-heart-murmurs

In some pictures, he even vaguely looks like you.

Does that count as a contribution to this thread?

listen: no matter how incredible you are at parenting, someone else is going to be a shitty parent. and their shitty kid is eventually going to cross paths with your kid, and bam, your kid is shitty too.

atomic

« Reply #511 on: February 06, 2014, 08:17:19 pm »
I'm glad my wife doesn't read this board anymore. If she did, she'd see your comment and use it to further her argument for homeschooling.

http://www.npr.org/2014/01/26/264996373/first-listen-jeremy-messersmith-heart-murmurs

listen: no matter how incredible you are at parenting, someone else is going to be a shitty parent. and their shitty kid is eventually going to cross paths with your kid, and bam, your kid is shitty too.

HH

Only child that is home schooled?  Sounds like a future serial killer.  Every person I have met that has been home schooled has been pretty much insane and has poor personal hygiene. 

James Ford

« Reply #512 on: February 06, 2014, 08:20:40 pm »
That's an argument my wife won't win.  ;D

How many people do you know who were homeschooled? I know only one, and her hygiene is fine. Sanity debateable.

So what do you guys think of the new Marissa Nadler album?

HH

Only child that is home schooled?  Sounds like a future serial killer.  Every person I have met that has been home schooled has been pretty much insane and has poor personal hygiene. 

stevewizzle

« Reply #513 on: February 06, 2014, 09:09:03 pm »
i only have one home-schooled friend. he plays in one of those awful folk bands, plays one of the yeehaw instruments, wears dumb hats, and in conversation, sounds pretentious at every moment they are provided the opportunity.  don't home school.

James Ford

« Reply #514 on: February 06, 2014, 09:26:07 pm »
And I apologize if I offended anybody. Child rearing is just something I have strong opinions about, and i'm not good at filtering myself. If what I say offends, don't take it personally and just skip by what I say!

i just want to apologize to everyone for somehow catalyzing the parenting circle jerk again.

back to music: future islands fucking rules.  how did i just discover these guys?  stoked to see them in a few weeks.

also, i ordered after dark 1 and 2 yesterday on clear vinyl.  spotify streaming did these albums zero justice and i'm stoked to blast this shit on high quality.

James Ford

« Reply #515 on: February 06, 2014, 09:26:46 pm »
Wow, sounds like a great friend to have around!

i only have one home-schooled friend. he plays in one of those awful folk bands, plays one of the yeehaw instruments, wears dumb hats, and in conversation, sounds pretentious at every moment they are provided the opportunity.  don't home school.

stevewizzle

« Reply #516 on: February 06, 2014, 09:38:54 pm »
Wow, sounds like a great friend to have around!

he's up there with the best of em.

stevewizzle

« Reply #517 on: February 06, 2014, 09:39:50 pm »
I recommend all Of their albums, and also their releases from when they were known as Art Lords and the Self Portraits.

The members are also in these groups: the snails, peals, archer twins, moss of aura (garret solo) and hemlock Ernst (Sam solo rapping).

peals never did it for me... although from seeing the reaction of many on this forum (okay, azag), it seems like there is something more to their live show? and the art lord and the self portraits sound nothing like them! what gives?

i'll work through the rest of these, thanks.

Hexenjagd

« Reply #518 on: February 06, 2014, 09:49:54 pm »
http://www.ehserecords.com/ss001/
Archer Twins is William plus Stuart (who runs Ehse Records).  Sadly I skipped the one show I saw advertised a few years back, and I don't know if they played any other shows.

I don't know why Art Lord sounds different, I suppose they just matured their sound over time.  The first two Future Islands albums (Little Advances/wave like home) sound a lot different than their newer ones (In Evening Air/On the Water/Singles (heard all of these songs last year when they played them in an epic 90 minute set)).  I prefer the newer sound but the older songs like Beach Foam are sweet too.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #519 on: February 07, 2014, 12:16:18 am »

n=1 isn't very convincing.
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #520 on: February 07, 2014, 12:57:33 am »
It takes a real piece of work to write "If I say you are a lousy parent don't take it personally I just feel that way strongly! I'm just not good at not telling you how I honestly feel about your parenting..so please ignore it."

And that is why I will take Brian Wallace over James Ford any day... Brian Wallace will insult you over your views of some musician or other..James Ford does it about what kind of parent you are. That kind of thing should really be off limits... If James Ford or anyone said that to my face I'd beat the crap out of them....

James Ford

« Reply #521 on: February 07, 2014, 08:28:35 am »
Thanks for your final words on the matter, now here's mine.

If a 50 year old guy who claims to make beaucoup money states on a public message board:

My wife doesn't think she should work after the child is born but hey that new Audi that I want isn't going to pay for itself.

I'm going to call him out on his bad parenting (and spousal) decision.

Hexenjagd

« Reply #522 on: February 07, 2014, 09:40:00 am »
Can you guys go start a parenting thread somewhere else?

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #523 on: February 07, 2014, 09:52:35 am »
Can you guys go start a parenting thread somewhere else?
Oh, wait, we already did.
LVMH

Hexenjagd

« Reply #524 on: February 07, 2014, 10:00:49 am »
I wish people would use it. I only read a couple of threads here and having people constantly going off topic is annoying.

Maybe I should go post about video games and movies over and over again in the Beer and Baseball threads.