Author Topic: Musicological banter  (Read 864164 times)

i am gay and i like cats

Re: Musicological banter
« Reply #765 on: May 15, 2014, 01:29:31 pm »
i shoulda, i coulda, but i didnta

azaghal1981

« Reply #766 on: May 27, 2014, 12:13:51 pm »
Looking forward to this.

33 1/3: Psychocandy

Also cool that a DC-based writer is writing it.
احمد

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #767 on: May 31, 2014, 12:11:07 pm »
http://pitchfork.com/news/55378-jack-white-slams-the-black-keys-suggests-once-again-that-theyve-ripped-off-his-sound/

do the black keys, rip off, the white stripes?  i dont know, i dont listen to the black keys.  they do have two members each, three words in their name, both starting with 'the', then a 'color', then a word which could describe the two sets of playable parts of a piano.  odd.  and both lead singers kids go to the same school.

i am gay and i like cats

stevewizzle

« Reply #769 on: May 31, 2014, 01:13:45 pm »
i don't disagree with him.  i like there music, but when i saw those guys years back, it's like they were a blues rock cover band, never straying too far from the course.  you can tell the guys that it comes naturally, and for the black keys, that's not the case. those guys seem like they are very hardworking musicians, but they aren't creating anything original.

Yada

« Reply #770 on: June 01, 2014, 02:31:47 pm »
I'd prefer to listen to the Black Keys for the rest of eternity than hear one note from Jack White.

hutch

« Reply #771 on: June 01, 2014, 02:49:29 pm »
i don't disagree with him.  i like there music, but when i saw those guys years back, it's like they were a blues rock cover band, never straying too far from the course.  you can tell the guys that it comes naturally, and for the black keys, that's not the case. those guys seem like they are very hardworking musicians, but they aren't creating anything original.

I think it depends on what you're talking about.. I mean the early black keys albums are so stripped down....the lead singer dude sounds like paul rodgers of free/bad co on them... they've changed since..

the last few are almost "Dangermouse with the Black Keys" albums.... since I think Dangermouse is the best producer in the world right now its fine by me..

and Auerbach gets my thanks based alone on his production of Dr John's Locked Down..heck of an album

I find originality is a term often misapplied..... you can be original while working within established forms..... Are we saying if someone came out with an album as great as Back in Black but with different songs we wouldn't like it? It wouldn't be "original"?  The Hellacopters High Visibility is the greatest album Thin Lizzy never made..doesn't make it any less great..

atomic

« Reply #772 on: June 01, 2014, 03:34:45 pm »
http://pitchfork.com/news/55378-jack-white-slams-the-black-keys-suggests-once-again-that-theyve-ripped-off-his-sound/

do the black keys, rip off, the white stripes?  i dont know, i dont listen to the black keys.  they do have two members each, three words in their name, both starting with 'the', then a 'color', then a word which could describe the two sets of playable parts of a piano.  odd.  and both lead singers kids go to the same school.

Stating Lana Del Rey is ripping off Amy Winehouse is quite a stretch.  Could you imagine if the Beatles had spent all their time accusing people of ripping them off?  Sounds like he has some emotional problems.  I don't like the Black Keys so whatever but he needs to let it go. 

atomic

« Reply #773 on: June 01, 2014, 03:36:46 pm »

I think it depends on what you're talking about.. I mean the early black keys albums are so stripped down....the lead singer dude sounds like paul rodgers of free/bad co on them... they've changed since..

the last few are almost "Dangermouse with the Black Keys" albums.... since I think Dangermouse is the best producer in the world right now its fine by me..

and Auerbach gets my thanks based alone on his production of Dr John's Locked Down..heck of an album

I find originality is a term often misapplied..... you can be original while working within established forms..... Are we saying if someone came out with an album as great as Back in Black but with different songs we wouldn't like it? It wouldn't be "original"?  The Hellacopters High Visibility is the greatest album Thin Lizzy never made..doesn't make it any less great..

Do you mean as good as "back to black"?

stevewizzle

« Reply #774 on: June 01, 2014, 04:07:15 pm »

i guess they kind of fell off with me after attack and release, so i missed all the danger mouse produced music. originality maybe wasn't the right term. their "established form" just came off as a total replica. nothing new.  i feel like it's a 2-man novelty group, and i just expected them to feed off each other more live, and i never saw it happen.  and this was a band that had been playing together since 2001.

Yada

« Reply #775 on: June 01, 2014, 05:07:04 pm »

i guess they kind of fell off with me after attack and release, so i missed all the danger mouse produced music. originality maybe wasn't the right term. their "established form" just came off as a total replica. nothing new.  i feel like it's a 2-man novelty group, and i just expected them to feed off each other more live, and i never saw it happen.  and this was a band that had been playing together since 2001.

I lost interest with Magic Potion and Attack and Release, but the album Brothers was damn near perfect.

azaghal1981

« Reply #776 on: June 01, 2014, 05:46:41 pm »
So this is also pretty fucking cool.
33 1/3: The Raincoats - S/T

And a friend's writing it!
احمد

hutch

« Reply #777 on: June 01, 2014, 06:02:14 pm »

oh its totally changed... the latest album sounds more like Pink Floyd than anything else to me....mixed in with Dangermouse putting in that David Axelrod type phat bass everywhere... really Jack White has no case as of late....they've moved on from earlier when he did have some sorta case.. i mean you got a group called the white stripes..duo and then another duo comes along ...called the black keys....and they play the same rough loud bash a blues? but like i said they have totally moved on from that

Hexenjagd

« Reply #778 on: June 04, 2014, 12:08:28 pm »
http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/354-baltimore-club/
Pitchfork article on the current state of Baltimore Club

James Ford

« Reply #779 on: June 19, 2014, 01:42:27 pm »
Does anybody listen to their old Public Enemy cd's/lp's/cassettes? Talk about a band whose music did not age well.