Author Topic: Musicological banter  (Read 863517 times)

i am gay and i like cats

Re: Musicological banter
« Reply #780 on: June 19, 2014, 03:09:29 pm »
i blame, professor griff

Yada

« Reply #781 on: June 19, 2014, 03:38:49 pm »
Does anybody listen to their old Public Enemy cd's/lp's/cassettes? Talk about a band whose music did not age well.

In general, I've found that rap doesn't' age all too well.

hutch

« Reply #782 on: June 19, 2014, 03:55:07 pm »
Does anybody listen to their old Public Enemy cd's/lp's/cassettes? Talk about a band whose music did not age well.

aint that the truth

« Reply #783 on: June 19, 2014, 03:57:11 pm »
I don't know...
I can listen to: Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, Run-DMC and Tribe Called Quest any day of the week

PE...well some of it has aged poorly, but "Public Enemy No. 1" never gets old to me
slack

Unsanity

« Reply #784 on: June 19, 2014, 04:02:27 pm »

I still listen to PE's 80's and early 90's stuff. I give up after "Muse Sick N Hour Mess Age" which only had one good song. Flavor Flav has been a big joke for a long ass time now. I saw them at Rock The Bells 2007 and Flav ruined the show. He kept plugging TV shows and forgot the name of some of his band members. There are a few exceptions to rap not aging well. To me, A Tribe Called Quest's classic albums still sound fresh. Much of OutKast's stuff too.

« Reply #785 on: June 25, 2014, 09:13:19 am »
ryan adams...at the club please

really don't want to see him at the DAR or Strathmore, but understand if you can't

I would hazard a guess that the Lincoln Theatre is the likelier option actually Mr Sidehatch...

Mr. Sidehatch, do you continue to listen to his new albums.. is his last one really good? or is he a legacy act now (Rolling Stones) and it doesn't matter anymore?

Last time I saw Ryan he was at the Patriot Center actually..opening for Oasis.. pretty good..

Loved ashes & fire.
He just released a new song to come out 7/1...Gimme Something Good (7" vinyl---only)

just glad to that his Meniere's disease didn't totally take him out of making/performing music forever
slack

James Ford

« Reply #786 on: June 25, 2014, 09:24:58 am »
Ryan Adams hasn't released anything worthwhile since the demise of Whiskeytown.

Yada

« Reply #787 on: June 25, 2014, 09:31:34 am »

I think Heartbreaker and Gold are darn near perfect, IMO.

shemptiness

« Reply #788 on: June 25, 2014, 09:41:51 am »
The 30 year anniversary of Purple Rain??  Damn.  Where has the time gone?

James Ford

« Reply #789 on: June 25, 2014, 11:34:03 am »

For me, Heartbreaker (though it initially had some appeal) just doesn't stand up as anything I'd listen to in 2014. And I hated Gold from the beginning.

The early Whiskeytown stuff (Faithless Street, Stanger's Almanac) I listen to on rare occasion for vintage sake.

I think Heartbreaker and Gold are darn near perfect, IMO.

Yada

« Reply #790 on: June 25, 2014, 01:07:25 pm »
This thread just inspired me to listen to Rock N Roll (however, I don't think I've heard one tune off that album since 2003 or so) on a quick three mile run at lunch.

I guess I could say I like up to Cold Roses... after that, a bunch of quantity over quality.

stevewizzle

« Reply #791 on: June 25, 2014, 02:30:35 pm »
aint that the truth

counterpoint: aquemini, reachin', blowout comb, the chronic, ready to die (to name a few) all aged beautifully. 

« Reply #792 on: June 25, 2014, 03:11:55 pm »

I guess I could say I like up to Cold Roses... after that, a bunch of quantity over quality.
the truth, but ashes and fire is still really strong.

That cold roses tour was awesome, one of my favorite shows.  Had front row seats in a Berkley auditorium and it was just the naz.
slack

James Ford

« Reply #793 on: June 25, 2014, 03:14:59 pm »
You were probably in diapers when those albums came out.
aint that the truth

counterpoint: aquemini, reachin', blowout comb, the chronic, ready to die (to name a few) all aged beautifully. 

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #794 on: June 25, 2014, 03:24:15 pm »
PE is ok in small doses.

I still listen to Tribe regularly. I thought De La's stuff sounded good after listening to the catalog they kindly gave away.  Wu Tang hasn't aged well, imo.

Jurassic 5 was old school style from the get go and I still listen to them regularly,  too.