Author Topic: Musicological banter  (Read 863508 times)

hutch

Re: Musicological banter
« Reply #870 on: August 22, 2014, 02:22:15 pm »
empathy is an interesting concept..... having a child with autism (maybe two) i never thought all that much about it.. i think i'm lacking in it at times.. i know my father is..... i dont mean to lack in it but i do.. i think about it more...the ability to look at things from other people's shoes...its really a great ability isn't it...to see things as others do.... its so weird how so much comes down to those pesky genes..and that winning sperm

Yada

« Reply #871 on: August 22, 2014, 02:55:35 pm »

My judgment isn't based on me thinking I know Robin WIlliams, it's based on personal experiences that I've had in my life where people have left children behind.

I understand it's a disease and not something you can just "turn off", but in some situations it's just not acceptable IMO.

well I don't know what you mean when you say "its just not acceptable"... you'd have to define your words very precisely..it could be read any number of ways..

its not acceptable so he's a dick could be one reading.... if that is what you're saying you ought to take a big step back...

its not acceptable so people shouldn't do it if they can at all avoid it could be another reading.... a more human one i would add

the fact you know people who did it means nothing just as it means nothing that henry rollins had a roomate who was depressed......sorry to say.... its not the same... you can't extrapolate one case and make it emblematic of all cases and then draw a judgment....

you really ought to focus a bit more on empathy and be less judgmental of people you don't know...

depression is an illness...very often genetically transmitted and which people often times have no ability to control.... even if they do seek treatment.. it is incredibly complex...certainly more complex than "oh, he took the easy way out, what a dick"......

Without exposing too much personal information on this here website, believe me... I know all the ins and outs of these illnesses.

James Ford

« Reply #872 on: August 22, 2014, 03:53:27 pm »
I reckon some choose to empathize with the dead guy who is now in no pain (assuming he's not burning in Hell*), while others choose to empathize with those whose actions the dead guy brought current pain to.

*Disclaimer: I don't believe in Hell

empathy is an interesting concept..... having a child with autism (maybe two) i never thought all that much about it.. i think i'm lacking in it at times.. i know my father is..... i dont mean to lack in it but i do.. i think about it more...the ability to look at things from other people's shoes...its really a great ability isn't it...to see things as others do.... its so weird how so much comes down to those pesky genes..and that winning sperm

hutch

« Reply #873 on: August 22, 2014, 08:30:34 pm »
I reckon some choose to empathize with the dead guy who is now in no pain (assuming he's not burning in Hell*), while others choose to empathize with those whose actions the dead guy brought current pain to.

*Disclaimer: I don't believe in Hell

what a silly thing to write james ford...why do you have to choose to empathize with one "side" or "another"...this ain't a ballgame buddy...this isn't israel vs gaza..this is one man's life.... of course one is sad for his survivors.. heck even for the world really... but at the end of the day i'm sad that robin williams felt that was the only thing he could do..... calling him a dick/coward for it is just unecessary...nobody appointed any of you judge and you don't know any of the actual facts..

the only thing i can say is a great artist died.. who gave me pleasure, and I gave him nothing, and I'm sad for his loss and the folks that loved and cared about him.. i have no idea what his relationships with his loved ones where... or even how many children he had.. i dont' concern myself with his personal life... just sad for his loss and that he was in such pain...

kurt cobain blew his brains off.. he was a very sick man.... I'm not going to say he was an evil man for doing that.. I have no idea what his demons were.....  could i ever bring myself to kill myself? no, first of all i lack the courage, second of all i could never do that to my children... but I am not mentally ill or at least not to that degree...:)

my reaction to kurt dying is pretty similar to robin....i'm sorry he felt that was what he had to do.. i don't sit around and judge him.. how can you judge someone you don't even know as some of you, and henry rollins, are doing..

James Ford

« Reply #874 on: August 22, 2014, 09:08:32 pm »
Pretty sure you gave him something. $$$

I never called him a dick.

stevewizzle

« Reply #875 on: August 22, 2014, 09:20:00 pm »

i'll call rollins a dick.  he's a dick and he's ignorant and anyone who agrees with what he wrote should stick with what they know.  i normally don't mind rollins, i was never really a fan of his music, but i appreciate that he's candid and he expressed how he felt, but he is standing on the wrong side and his words read to me like he has no fucking clue what it means to have a mental illness.

we are all just trying to get through life, some of us finding more meaning in it than others, and by no means does that give anyone the fucking right to point a finger at the other side and say "you're doing it wrong, asshole".  as a relatively young boardie, i can tell you that after 18, there's very little parenting to do, and parents really struggle with finding meaning in life after their children have grown up.  the fact that rollins props up robin williams to get his point across about suicide is disgusting... his child is an adult at this point. 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 09:32:12 pm by stevewizzle »

James Ford

« Reply #876 on: August 22, 2014, 09:23:43 pm »
So nobody has the right to point a finger and tell someone they fucked up? Puh-leeeze.  Some of us get criticized for our actions every day of the week. If we can take the criticism, so can Robin.

i'll call him a dick.  he's a dick and he's ignorant and anyone who agrees with what he wrote should stick with what they know.  i normally don't mind rollins, i was never really a fan of his music, but i appreciate that he's candid and he expressed how he felt, but he is standing on the wrong side and his words read to me like he has no fucking clue what it means to have a mental illness.

we are all just trying to get through life, some of us finding more meaning in it than others, and by no means does that give anyone the fucking right to point a finger at the other side and say "you're doing it wrong, asshole".  fuck henry rollins here.

stevewizzle

« Reply #877 on: August 22, 2014, 09:29:19 pm »
So nobody has the right to point a finger and tell someone they fucked up? Puh-leeeze.  Some of us get criticized for our actions every day of the week. If we can take the criticism, so can Robin.

i'll call him a dick.  he's a dick and he's ignorant and anyone who agrees with what he wrote should stick with what they know.  i normally don't mind rollins, i was never really a fan of his music, but i appreciate that he's candid and he expressed how he felt, but he is standing on the wrong side and his words read to me like he has no fucking clue what it means to have a mental illness.

we are all just trying to get through life, some of us finding more meaning in it than others, and by no means does that give anyone the fucking right to point a finger at the other side and say "you're doing it wrong, asshole".  fuck henry rollins here.

i edited my original post a little bit for clarification.

but to respond to the question posed... i think it goes without saying "you've fucked up" if you end your life.  there's more humility in self reflection that death is final.  nobody has to write an op-ed about it.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #878 on: August 25, 2014, 09:21:42 am »
😐 🎶

slappy

« Reply #879 on: August 25, 2014, 01:14:13 pm »

slappy

« Reply #880 on: August 25, 2014, 01:20:17 pm »
And now the ones that agree with the first Rollins are left by themselves.

http://henryrollins.com/news

August 22 2014

2016 PST

For the last 9+ hours, I have been answering letters from people from all over the world. The anger is off the scale and in my opinion, well placed.

The article I wrote in the LA Weekly about suicide caused a lot of hurt. This is perhaps one of the bigger understatements of all time. I read all the letters. Some of them were very long and the disappointment, resentment and ringing clarity was jarring.

That I hurt anyone by what I said, and I did hurt many, disgusts me. It was not at all my intent but it most certainly was the result.

I have had a life of depression. Some days are excruciating. Knowing what I know and having been through what I have, I should have known better but I obviously did not. I get so mad when I hear that someone has died this way. Not mad at them, mad at whatever got them there and that no one magically appeared to somehow save them.

I am not asking for a break from the caning, take me to the woodshed as much as you see fit. If what I said has caused you to be done with me, I get it.

I wrote something for the LA Weekly that they will post on Monday.

I wanted to get this out at this moment.

I am deeply sorry. Down to my marrow. I can?t think that means anything to you, but I am. Completely sorry. It is not of my interest to hurt anyone but I know I did. Thank you for reading this. Henry

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #881 on: August 25, 2014, 02:17:14 pm »
😐 🎶

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #882 on: August 25, 2014, 10:37:37 pm »
vmas

two words . . . riff raff

slappy

« Reply #883 on: August 26, 2014, 04:10:44 pm »
Your Logo Is Not Hardcore

Your link is not musicological.

Musicology also considers the culture surrounding music.

I see, since all culture surrounds music, you interpret this as an anything goes zone.

I was goofing on the title more than anything, but I'll add 'Hardcore' isn't really the best description in which to base the whole Tumblr. The logos are really all intending to promote a hipster vibe not hardcore.

Although in twenty years when 'hipster' comes back around to being hip. There will be a Hipster Hardcore sub genre of music that will be based somewhere like Albuquerque. They will all create their own instruments out of locally sourced wood with artisanal strings. There will be a Hipster Hardcore tribute album to Henry Rollins, who will off himself in ten years when he learns the tragic combination of being diagnosed with hemorrhoids and the news Häagen-Daz has filed chapter 11.

Book that shit.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #884 on: August 27, 2014, 11:53:55 am »
I see, since all culture surrounds music, you interpret this as an anything goes zone.

😐 🎶