Author Topic: Musicological banter  (Read 883080 times)

azaghal1981

Re: Musicological banter
« Reply #930 on: September 24, 2014, 07:14:23 am »
Bands that were really, really good during reformation:
Mission of Burma
Dinosaur Jr.
My Bloody Valentine

Who else?
احمد

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #931 on: September 24, 2014, 09:34:41 am »
Who else?
Interesting topic.

Guided By Voices
Texas Is The Reason
LVMH

James Ford

« Reply #932 on: September 24, 2014, 09:39:57 am »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #933 on: September 24, 2014, 09:53:22 am »
Iggy and the Stooges

depends which incarnation... some were better than others.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #934 on: September 24, 2014, 09:55:54 am »
This is the one I saw at Bumbershoot 2005.

Iggy and the Stooges

depends which incarnation... some were better than others.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #935 on: September 24, 2014, 09:59:35 am »
for killsaly/rogue/etc.:

Claiming to like Aphex Twin makes comeback
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/arts-entertainment/claiming-to-like-aphex-twin-makes-comeback-2014092490978

MUSIC listeners are pretending to enjoy the challenging electronica of Aphex Twin for the first time since the 1990s.

The artist released Syro this week, his first album since 2001 when his fanbase secretly preferred All Saints.

Music blogger Tom Booker said: ?My favourite track? Well, probably CIRCLONT14 [152.97] [shrymoming mix] if I had to choose, but really it?s the kind of album you listen to from start to finish which I?m sure I will one day.

?Let?s just say I like them all.?

Self-styled experimental music fan Stephen Malley said: ?Is it really 13 years since the last Aphex album? Because I still haven?t managed to lose my virginity.

?Cultivating an extensive knowledge of obscure, confrontational electronic music really is the most ineffective way to impress girls.?

Richard D James, who records as Aphex Twin, said: ?I thought recording an album of unabashed EDM stadium bangers, with guest vocals from Miley Cyrus, Olly Murs and Pitbull, would confound the critics.

?But it?s like they all wrote their reviews without even bothering to stick it on.?

lol ;D
<sig>

azaghal1981

« Reply #936 on: September 24, 2014, 03:43:27 pm »
The Feelies have put on excellent shows the few times I've caught them since they have been back.

احمد

Rogue Riderhood

« Reply #937 on: September 24, 2014, 06:41:02 pm »
Bands that were really, really good during reformation:
Mission of Burma
Dinosaur Jr.
My Bloody Valentine

Who else?
Sebadoh.  Quicksand.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #938 on: September 24, 2014, 07:15:20 pm »
phish,

Rogue Riderhood

« Reply #939 on: September 24, 2014, 07:50:31 pm »
Swans

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
😐 🎶

azaghal1981

« Reply #941 on: September 25, 2014, 09:15:29 am »
Love this!

Drew Daniel's 13 reasons for not making a favorite 13 albums list.
احمد

Rogue Riderhood

« Reply #942 on: September 25, 2014, 12:23:29 pm »
Vas needs to read that. He is always talking about best this, worst that, etc in regards to music.

Reason Eight: It Encourages The False Idea That "Best", "Better Than?" And "Worse Than?" Apply to Art.
Question: What is Neil Young's On The Beach album like?

Answer: It's his best!

If you think this is a not a good answer to that question, you're right. The word "Best" is just a placeholder for a swirl of emotions, a specific historical narrative, a shaky web of criteria, as relayed by a person who is changing all the time as new experiences influence them. All of which is interesting. The "best" part is not. If "best" only begs the question, the same is also true for talk about "better than . . . " or "worse than . . . " that afflicts the scene when we explain why one record is on a list and another is left off. Each record proposes to you the terms by which it might be judged. Some people aim high and wipe out, some people aim low and nail it, but who decides what constitutes these alleged successes or failures? What is the vantage point from which you determine what is high or low as a goal in the first place? What does "easy" and "difficult" mean when making art? Is a record that sets a supposedly modest goal for itself "worse" than a record that takes huge risks, and attempts impossibly ambitious things? From a labour standpoint, an album of two-chord drone rock with muttered vocals about drugs is easier to make than a witty song-cycle about American imperialism set to calypso and Trinidadian steel band arrangements with orchestral strings. But so what? On some days, Spacemen 3's Sound Of Confusion is clearly "better" to me than Van Dyke Parks' Discover America. On other days, the reverse is just as clearly true. At no point are these shifting wins and losses anything other than a subjective report about my whims, pleasures and needs. List making perpetuates the illusion that those whims are facts worth reporting.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 12:32:01 pm by Rogue Riderhood »

slappy

« Reply #943 on: September 26, 2014, 10:38:34 am »

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #944 on: September 26, 2014, 11:06:41 am »
Vas needs to read that. He is always talking about best this, worst that, etc in regards to music.

Reason Eight: It Encourages The False Idea That "Best", "Better Than?" And "Worse Than?" Apply to Art.
Question: What is Neil Young's On The Beach album like?

Answer: It's his best!

If you think this is a not a good answer to that question, you're right. The word "Best" is just a placeholder for a swirl of emotions, a specific historical narrative, a shaky web of criteria, as relayed by a person who is changing all the time as new experiences influence them. All of which is interesting. The "best" part is not. If "best" only begs the question, the same is also true for talk about "better than . . . " or "worse than . . . " that afflicts the scene when we explain why one record is on a list and another is left off. Each record proposes to you the terms by which it might be judged. Some people aim high and wipe out, some people aim low and nail it, but who decides what constitutes these alleged successes or failures? What is the vantage point from which you determine what is high or low as a goal in the first place? What does "easy" and "difficult" mean when making art? Is a record that sets a supposedly modest goal for itself "worse" than a record that takes huge risks, and attempts impossibly ambitious things? From a labour standpoint, an album of two-chord drone rock with muttered vocals about drugs is easier to make than a witty song-cycle about American imperialism set to calypso and Trinidadian steel band arrangements with orchestral strings. But so what? On some days, Spacemen 3's Sound Of Confusion is clearly "better" to me than Van Dyke Parks' Discover America. On other days, the reverse is just as clearly true. At no point are these shifting wins and losses anything other than a subjective report about my whims, pleasures and needs. List making perpetuates the illusion that those whims are facts worth reporting.

I feel like true music fans group albums into "tiers" but do not trifle to attempt to rank records individually.
LVMH