Author Topic: Musicological banter  (Read 863747 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Musicological banter
« Reply #1065 on: January 29, 2015, 10:52:16 pm »
So because I have no life, I was watching "About A Boy" tv show last night and a song comes on that I recognize but can't quite place it.  So I fire up an app and it tells me it's The Black Lips  "I don't wanna go home".  And then I'm confused because Black Lips isn't a band I really listen to, thus further blowing my cred, so I must have heard it in passing.

So imagine my further confusion, when today I was listening to the Curtis Harding album from last year and "I Don't Wanna Go Home" comes on.  I'm thinking so is this a cover that I thought was an original, which would explain why I couldn't quite place the Black Lips version.  Harding's album is a great soul influence with punk/garage outing.

Turns out one would probably call Curtis's take a version, seeing as he co-wrote it with the band...
T.Rex

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #1066 on: January 30, 2015, 11:08:02 am »
So because I have no life, I was watching "About A Boy" tv show last night and a song comes on that I recognize but can't quite place it.  So I fire up an app and it tells me it's The Black Lips  "I don't wanna go home".  And then I'm confused because Black Lips isn't a band I really listen to, thus further blowing my cred, so I must have heard it in passing.

So imagine my further confusion, when today I was listening to the Curtis Harding album from last year and "I Don't Wanna Go Home" comes on.  I'm thinking so is this a cover that I thought was an original, which would explain why I couldn't quite place the Black Lips version.  Harding's album is a great soul influence with punk/garage outing.

Turns out one would probably call Curtis's take a version, seeing as he co-wrote it with the band...

So because I have no life, I went to my kid's middle school dance recital last night, and this number starts that I recognize but I can't quite place it.  Turns out it its a solo track from Mickey Hart - probably off of Planet Drum.  They later danced to Massive Attack and Zee Avi (who I had never heard before, but enjoyed).

bearman🐻

« Reply #1067 on: January 30, 2015, 11:13:15 am »
OK, I'll bite.

So because I have no life, last night I watched " Well Now You're Here, There's No Way Back", a movie about the rise and fall and attempted comeback of Quiet Riot. I've never seen a band out-Spinal Tap Spinal Tap, but lo and behold, mission accomplished. Bravo, Quiet Riot.

hutch

« Reply #1068 on: January 30, 2015, 11:33:55 am »
Because I have no life I'm reading the last Bridget Jones novel (if you can call it that)...came out at the end of 2013.. its called Bridget Jones- Mad About the Boy...

« Reply #1069 on: January 30, 2015, 12:03:55 pm »
because I have no life...I keep coming back to the 930 message board
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #1070 on: January 30, 2015, 12:26:22 pm »
because I have no life...I keep coming back to the 930 message board

POTW

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #1071 on: January 30, 2015, 12:32:39 pm »
Because I have no life I stole an identity off facebook, created a fake newbie account, and solicited people on here to "assist" me in getting a London Grammar autograph.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #1072 on: January 30, 2015, 08:13:06 pm »
I got to say ultimately the new Belle and Sebastian just isn't good enough..it has its moments.... but like half the album is a snoozefest....I want to love it like the classic stuff

If the whole album had been disco/dancy it might have worked...as it is there are a few nice fast paced dancy songs I really like and a lot of substandard stuff like the stuff he's been putting out for years....twee pop, baroque pop, coma inducing pop => crap

I don't know what happened to Stuart Murdoch....sometimes its hard to believe its the same guy.... for three albums and three eps not one false step (except maybe Seymour Stein which I realize some people like)

hutch

« Reply #1073 on: January 30, 2015, 08:23:12 pm »
of course I realize Stuart didn't write or sing Seymour Stein.. the "democratization" of hte band was a disaster...

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1074 on: February 01, 2015, 10:47:11 pm »
Per my Twitter feed, since I was busy DJing, Missy Elliot dropped some Cybrotron/Juan Atkins on a whole bunch of people tonight.
T.Rex

ggw

« Reply #1075 on: February 01, 2015, 11:27:58 pm »
So the Patriots use (the somewhat cliched) 'Crazy Train' as they take the field. The Seahawks choose....'Bittersweet Symphony'?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1076 on: February 05, 2015, 12:26:41 am »
Diarrhea Planet has the best twitter feed... They repost people tweets of bewilderment over their name and they got a bounty today when they got added to a major festival

https://twitter.com/DiarrheaPlanet

This might be the best 

Haywood Jablowme - "yo there's a band named diarrhea planet. Smh"

https://twitter.com/RogueStatusX/status/562871756722286592
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 12:29:37 am by kosmo vinyl »
T.Rex

« Reply #1077 on: February 05, 2015, 04:25:17 pm »
so ...no word yet on the on sale date for Courtney Barnett

but I did see that she is opening for Belle & Sebastian a few days later in Kansas
they will be playing dates just 2 days apart in DC

Do we think they will add her as support for their Echostage show eventhough she is headlining the club 2 days earlier?

slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #1078 on: February 05, 2015, 04:30:53 pm »
Do we think they will add her as support for their Echostage show eventhough she is headlining the club 2 days earlier?
Would not seem like the smartest business move. Why would Seth do that?
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1079 on: February 05, 2015, 04:58:02 pm »
So the Patriots use (the somewhat cliched) 'Crazy Train' as they take the field. The Seahawks choose....'Bittersweet Symphony'?

seems kinda fitting, in retrospect...
<sig>