Author Topic: Musicological banter  (Read 863160 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Musicological banter
« Reply #1215 on: July 24, 2015, 09:12:03 am »
Ed Sheeran getting the nod over her in the video of the year category is quite a headscratcher.

Does anyone here actually know what that Ed Sheeran song sounds like?
BTW, you do understand this was basically Taylor Swift's response ("maybe one of the guys took your slot") that you were earlier calling "wrong-headed" and "tone-deaf," correct?
LVMH

azaghal1981

« Reply #1216 on: July 24, 2015, 09:30:23 am »
It was wrong-headed (and a little self-centered) for Swift to assume she was personally attacked. Minaj's tweets still read as more of a generalization about  the industry and music press as a whole (who still have their fair share of unresolved race/sex/body type issues) to me.
احمد

« Reply #1217 on: July 24, 2015, 09:40:14 am »
It was wrong-headed (and a little self-centered) for Swift to assume she was personally attacked. Minaj's tweets still read as more of a generalization about  the industry and music press as a whole (who still have their fair share of unresolved race/sex/body type issues) to me.
I think you're giving Minaj way too much credit. That's what annoys me about this: virtually every article about it spends no time actually discussing what Minaj actually said and instead is a missive about the author's personal agenda and presuming that is what Minaj was trying to say. But if you look at her ACTUAL words she said she was mad that she didn't get a nomination this year but "other girls... skinny girls" did. So it wasn't about Ed Sheeran, Bruno Mars, or Kendrick Mars. She was definitely DIRECTLY talking about either Taylor Swift or Beyonce.

And of all of the varied "hot takes" written about this idiocy, the only one I haven't seen is the one that thinks she was calling out Beyonce.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 09:45:53 am by Julian, Verified SHITLORD »
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #1218 on: July 24, 2015, 10:03:23 am »
If she were a true feminist rather than simply an attention whore, she'd be calling attention to how horribly women are treated in Saudi Arabia rather than complaining about only skinny girls getting video award nominations.  ;)

« Reply #1219 on: July 24, 2015, 10:05:14 am »
If she were a true feminist rather than simply an attention whore, she'd be calling attention to how horribly women are treated in Saudi Arabia rather than complaining about only skinny girls getting video award nominations.  ;)
I know you're mostly trolling but I agree. This is not a racism/sexism issue. It's about fat acceptance and Minaj should be shouted down from the rooftop over that. Want a nomination? Stop shoveling cake in your face and become a skinny girl.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #1220 on: July 24, 2015, 10:14:12 am »
I know you're mostly trolling but I agree. This is not a racism/sexism issue. It's about fat acceptance and Minaj should be shouted down from the rooftop over that. Want a nomination? Stop shoveling cake in your face and become a skinny girl.

Admittedly I don't follow pop music. But isn't it about whose music video is better? What does race, gender, or body type have to do with anything?

If video awards were based on physical attractriveness alone, I'd tak Nicki over Taylor in a hearbeat.

« Reply #1221 on: July 24, 2015, 10:18:10 am »
But isn't it about whose music video is better?
Yes, but Minaj's point isn't that her video was better. She explicitly didn't say that. She just complained that "skinny girls" get nominations. She is the person bringing weight into it, not anyone else. She is the person -- not me, not MTV -- who is under the belief that she didn't get a nomination because "durrr, thin privilege." Fat privilege is being able to talk about other people's weight with impunity but if anyone talks about yours, they'd be crucified.

Here's another great example of thin shaming:
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #1222 on: July 24, 2015, 10:24:38 am »
let me know if anyone needs that script I used to use for atomic to block this thread.

azaghal1981

« Reply #1223 on: July 24, 2015, 10:31:34 am »
Yeah, I suppose it'd be nice if she took our government to task for propping up that monstrous regime for as long as it has.
احمد

« Reply #1224 on: July 24, 2015, 10:32:56 am »
Hey, what's everyone's thoughts on Israel?
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #1225 on: July 24, 2015, 10:36:16 am »

« Reply #1226 on: July 24, 2015, 10:37:19 am »
Would it be sexist for me to post this link?

http://thechive.com/2014/12/16/happy-hanukkah-gorgeous-israeli-women-19-photos/
Nikki Minaj is triggered that only skinny girls get posted in that link.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #1227 on: July 24, 2015, 10:38:22 am »
Yeah, I suppose it'd be nice if she took our government to task for propping up that monstrous regime for as long as it has.

That would indeed be great but somehow i don't see it happening.

azaghal1981

« Reply #1228 on: July 24, 2015, 10:39:52 am »
احمد

azaghal1981

احمد