Author Topic: The Whisk(e)y Thread  (Read 141973 times)

James Ford

Re: The Whisk(e)y Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2013, 12:36:45 pm »
I know nothing about whiskey, but I know this is a great song about whiskey....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqe3qyxNrwA

Relaxer

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2013, 01:19:47 pm »
I think the Bulleit Rye is really good, better comparatively than the Bulleit Bourbon (which is also perfectly fine too).

My kids always grouse a little when I make my Old Fashioned (2.5 oz of bourbon, ~.3 oz of simply syrup, 5-6 shakes of bitters, and orange peel) because it means they have to eat an orange.
"Awwww, we just HAD an orange!"
"Too bad suckers, I want mouths on oranges STAT"
oword

James Ford

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2013, 01:27:05 pm »
How old are your kids? My five year old is an orange nut. She ate five baby oranges in a day a couple of weeks ago.

I think the Bulleit Rye is really good, better comparatively than the Bulleit Bourbon (which is also perfectly fine too).

My kids always grouse a little when I make my Old Fashioned (2.5 oz of bourbon, ~.3 oz of simply syrup, 5-6 shakes of bitters, and orange peel) because it means they have to eat an orange.
"Awwww, we just HAD an orange!"
"Too bad suckers, I want mouths on oranges STAT"

Relaxer

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2013, 02:25:38 pm »
8 and 4. They're very good boys.

So I just got back from Modern Liquors. They have such a wide variety of bourbons there, like twice as much as Schneiders, which everyone (at least on Cap Hill) always says is the best liquor store ever. However, I didn't bring my phone so I couldn't do a little spot research so I just went with a nice 7 year Bookers, which runs 127 proof. That oughta ease my existential pain.

The bummer is that I've slowly become pretty friendly with the owner. Today, he said "Have you ever had the Templeton? It's real good, you wanna see?" I was thinking he was going to show me the bottle, but dude pulls out a half-full bottle and two glasses from under the counter. Had to think about it for a minute and then said "I love that you offered this, I would love nothing more than to try it with you, but if I walk back into the office with liquor on my breath, my boss will say "NOT AGAIN" so sadly I had to decline.

But the overall bummer is that my company is moving at the end of the month and the fact is, Modern Liquors will be out of the way and no longer a viable option. Just when I was getting to be known as a regular (and eligible for the mythical Pappy Van Winkle 'list'), it will all go away. Sigh.
oword

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2013, 03:08:54 pm »
i love how james tries to talk about something other than whiskey . . . and then relaxer answers and shoots him down by going on back to the ole topic at hand.  nice, mate.

Relaxer

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2013, 09:50:06 pm »
Well, it is the thread topic. And I never really shy from talking about my kids. They've utterly ruined my life but they're great guys and I'm having a ball with them.
oword

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2013, 11:43:28 am »
So I just got back from Modern Liquors. They have such a wide variety of bourbons there, like twice as much as Schneiders, which everyone (at least on Cap Hill) always says is the best liquor store ever. 

I love Schneider's, mostly because of the service and location (on my walk home).
(o|o)

Relaxer

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2013, 11:51:45 am »
Agreed. They are helpful, and it is also on my way home from work plus I can stash my bike in the corner of the parking lot without a lock and not worry about it getting stolen. But their bourbon selection is a bit pedestrian, to take a highbrow stance. Also, since I'm always going in there at around 6 pm, with a large backpack on, it's often challenging to move around because it's usually crowded and the aisles are so damn narrow. But I've still dropped a lot of lettuce there and they are pretty helpful.

The Booker's last night was real good. I didn't realize that it's just pretty much top-of-the-line Jim Beam.
oword

slappy

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2013, 12:23:08 pm »
Interesting article on the wood barrels importance in whisk(e)y. Didn't think the Scotch would be the first to start experimenting with the wood barrels.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=whiskey-makers-break-tradition-to-make-new-flavors

Barrels for whiskey may sound boring, but they are integral to the flavor of both bourbon and rum.
Used bourbon barrels are sent to the Caribbean and used to age Bacardi Rum. 

James Ford

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2013, 02:32:30 pm »
Next time you're there, ask them why they no longer carry Founders beers.

So I just got back from Modern Liquors. They have such a wide variety of bourbons there, like twice as much as Schneiders, which everyone (at least on Cap Hill) always says is the best liquor store ever. 

I love Schneider's, mostly because of the service and location (on my walk home).

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2013, 03:39:00 pm »
still trying arent you?

James Ford

« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2013, 03:53:25 pm »
Trying what? I heard a rumor about Schneider's and Founders beer, wanted to see if there's any truth to it.

still trying arent you?

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2013, 03:55:25 pm »
Take the beer to the beer aisle.  ;)

Well, what do you know?  :D

Golden West Cafe:
"Whiskey Wednesday! $1 off all whiskeys starting at 5p! Have you ever tried "The Xavier" (Saranac Root Beer and Jack Daniels, Root Beer for grown fold) or "The Madhatter Manhattan" (Bulleit Rye, Angostura Bitters and Earl Grey Infused sweet vermouth)"

Relaxer

« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2013, 04:04:06 pm »
Wow, I like the sound of that Madhatter Manhattan very much. Is Earl Grey...vermouth something exclusive to GW Cafe or is it something you can buy around?

Also, I may have posted this before but this is a delightful summer drink.

2 oz rye or bourbon
1 oz grand marnier
1 oz sweet vermouth
4 oz orange juice

shake the shit out of in ice, pour, feel like a king
oword

Yada

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2013, 04:32:18 pm »
Tip: Bulleit Bourbon is generally 30% cheaper in the state of MD vs. buying in DC.

Also, it's great to drop a cinnamon or vanilla stick into a bottle on occasion.