Author Topic: Cassette Store Day?  (Read 20018 times)

azaghal1981

Cassette Store Day?
« on: July 15, 2013, 02:24:20 pm »
This is a joke, right?

Somebody please say I am right.

http://cassettestoreday.com
احمد

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Cassette Store Day?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 02:31:30 pm »
Amateurs... I'm waiting for 3.5 Floppy disk day..http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/07/new-zealand-band-releases-album-on-3-5-floppy-disk/

Curses foiled again by this bands clever means
 of promoting their new album.. kudos band I've never heard of before
T.Rex

atomicfront

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 03:03:53 pm »
Well maybe the people who buy stuff just to collect will move on to this and I can just buy the limited releases that I want to listen to.

hutch

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 05:16:32 pm »
i don't get the supposed fetish with cassettes.....does anybody know a single person who collects tapes???

atomicfront

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 05:22:27 pm »
i don't get the supposed fetish with cassettes.....does anybody know a single person who collects tapes???

No.  I do remember all the tapes getting eaten by tape decks back in the 80's.  Definitely not something I want to go back to. 

Nigel Tufnel

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 06:25:35 pm »
At least with vinyl, you can kind of convince yourself that it sounds better than CD/MP3.  Cassettes were crap, though - bad sound and inconvenient.  If there's a cassette renaissance, it will be purely a hipster affectation.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 07:23:01 pm »
Most of the cassette resurgence has been with avant-garde/underground music and noise. Much of this kind of music was distributed on tape before CD-Rs and burners became widely available. They could be made at home or outsourced in small batches; vinyl is always outsourced and minimal quantities are usually much higher. For many of these artists, vinyl is an unaffordable substitute for the now maligned CD. Downloads are an obvious option but there is still a desire for tangible objects, especially ones that have often have a handmade quality to them. The psychological connection between the artist and the listener is often stronger when it is known that the object literally came from the artist's hand.

As for the agenda of hipsters, who the fuck cares....
😐 🎶

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 08:13:23 pm »
they tried this before, during grunge i believe.  it failed then, too.

James Ford

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 08:18:35 pm »
if you've got any you want to give me, i'll take them. That's what my car plays.

azaghal1981

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 08:29:36 pm »
Most of the cassette resurgence has been with avant-garde/underground music and noise. Much of this kind of music was distributed on tape before CD-Rs and burners became widely available. They could be made at home or outsourced in small batches; vinyl is always outsourced and minimal quantities are usually much higher. For many of these artists, vinyl is an unaffordable substitute for the now maligned CD. Downloads are an obvious option but there is still a desire for tangible objects, especially ones that have often have a handmade quality to them. The psychological connection between the artist and the listener is often stronger when it is known that the object literally came from the artist's hand.

As for the agenda of hipsters, who the fuck cares....

Exactly. I have a lot of friends in bands/solo projects who put material out on tape mostly because it is still the most affordable medium other than the impersonal download. The forum's own Epstein also runs a (mostly) cassette label. Probably for the same reasons.
احمد

atomicfront

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 10:29:29 pm »
if you've got any you want to give me, i'll take them. That's what my car plays.

Hers how old is your car?

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 11:49:36 pm »
I have two cassettes.  One Black Flag and a tape someone gave me and I wrecked my car while listening to (but not as a result of).  Their both priceless.

Oh, wait....i have a copy of the Mats' The Shit Hits the Fans, too.  An Atomicfront favorite.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 12:11:55 am by StoneTheCrow »

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 12:30:52 am »
I've also got SHTF and Black Flag Live 84 (originally cassette only).

As I told Kosmo yesterday, the funny thing to me is that the Cassette Store Day announcement was on the same day I was supposed to take delivery of a deck (but USPS lied  >:( ).
😐 🎶

Unsanity

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 02:16:31 am »
I got a whole milk crate full of cassettes! My car has a dual cd/cassette player. I do buy tapes from new bands when I see them. Bands have been upping the price on them lately even! some bands have them for like 10 bucks! Lame! I too have a bunch of Black Flag. Got lots of early Meat Puppets too. I treasure my tapes.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 07:56:44 am »
I have a Kid Rock Cassingle from his Vanilla Ice wanna be phase.  Winning!
T.Rex