Author Topic: Gastronomical Banter  (Read 457944 times)

killsaly

Re: Gastronomical Banter
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2013, 02:27:46 pm »
Eating a po boy outside of New Orleans is like eating a crab cake outside of Maryland.
Not quite true.  Not just for NOLA, though maybe that is the only place anyone here would go in that state.  You can get great food (and REAL po boys), in Baton Rouge, any of the small swamp towns, my hometown, etc. 
Louisiana is more than NOLA.

Same with muffulettas, jambalaya, gumbo, and the rest.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 02:29:48 pm by killsaly »

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2013, 02:31:35 pm »
Eating a po boy outside of New Orleans is like eating a crab cake outside of Maryland.

I've never been to NO (so I guess have never had the "real thing").  FWIW, the Washington Post guy says that if he can't make it to NO, he goes to the Bayou DC instead.

Bagley

« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2013, 02:33:54 pm »
Sliced pork and collards at Kenny's BBQ -Maryland Ave NE (formerly of Mount Pleasant,DC and Alexandria, Va)

I live a couple of blocks from Kenny's and really don't like it, especially the collards.

Supposedly Obama's fave BBQ, for what it's worth

.....The clam/garlic pizza at Comet's great

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2013, 02:46:08 pm »
Sliced pork and collards at Kenny's BBQ -Maryland Ave NE (formerly of Mount Pleasant,DC and Alexandria, Va)

I live a couple of blocks from Kenny's and really don't like it, especially the collards.

Supposedly Obama's fave BBQ, for what it's worth

he was there for some father's day event, but i hadn't heard that it was his "favorite"

everything there is really really salty.
(o|o)

imbecile

« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2013, 02:47:48 pm »

I'm with Hoya on this one. 

But.. i haven't found any bbq in DC that i really like.  It's just not the style i'm used to coming from the south.  When having a craving, i usually go with Rocklands, but they don't even have pulled pork and it's a trek, so meh.

stevewizzle

« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2013, 02:52:48 pm »
rocklands serves delicious brisket.  standard (garden district) makes a worthy pulled pork sandwich. good price point, too.

but i'm sure someone can chime in and tell us that bbq sucks in DC in comparison to the south.  well, duh.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2013, 02:58:59 pm »
best BBQ i've had in DC is Blue Smoke at Nats Park - pulled pork sandwich + slaw is pretty awesome.
(o|o)

K8teebug

« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2013, 03:02:49 pm »
Not quite true.  Not just for NOLA, though maybe that is the only place anyone here would go in that state.  You can get great food (and REAL po boys), in Baton Rouge, any of the small swamp towns, my hometown, etc. 

I've been all over Louisiana and didn't have a bad meal anywhere...just using NOLA as an example.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2013, 03:10:04 pm »
speaking of NOLA, avoid TruOrleans at all costs.
(o|o)

imbecile

« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2013, 03:47:34 pm »
rocklands serves delicious brisket.  standard (garden district) makes a worthy pulled pork sandwich. good price point, too.

but i'm sure someone can chime in and tell us that bbq sucks in DC in comparison to the south.  well, duh.

Agreed on the brisket at Rocklands being very good.  Also, the ribs.  I'll check out standard, thanks for the suggestion.

Yada

« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2013, 03:51:49 pm »
A few of the food trucks have pretty decent bbq. Also, there's been a food truck in Bethesda for years prior to food trucks being cool that has pretty awesome bbq. It sits in the lot that has that random kind of flea market on the weekends.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2013, 03:59:56 pm »
i love city folks talking about the best bbq.  awesome.  come to the cuntry.  we have bbq you cant beat.  except nc.  and homemade coleslaw that will melt your fucking face.  no one beats that coleslaw.

stevewizzle

« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2013, 04:19:43 pm »
^ close enough.

killsaly

« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2013, 04:57:54 pm »

I've been all over Louisiana and didn't have a bad meal anywhere...just using NOLA as an example.
Cool, but it seemed like you were saying ONLY New Orleans, and dismissing any other place, which would include the rest of the state. 

Anyways, completely agree. Amazing food.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2013, 05:54:46 pm »
^ close enough.

move out of the city . . . hippie.   ;D