Author Topic: Gastronomical Banter  (Read 457797 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Gastronomical Banter
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2013, 03:06:58 pm »
Mandalay in Silver Spring for Burmese food.  They have a DC one scheduled to one soon.  Very few Burmese restaurants out there, it's a mixture of Thai, Chinese and Indian flavors.  The Burmese place in Chinatown is good but Mandalay is better.
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2013, 04:15:35 pm »
Was not aware of the fact that there are now Three more Burmese restaurants in the DC area. Two in NoVa and one in Gaithersburg.  For many years it was limited to places like DC and NYC.  But now I see Philly, Boston and other cities have Burmses eateries as well.  Regardless if you've never had it, the two I'be mentioned are worth seeking out, can't speak to the others.
T.Rex

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2013, 04:19:25 pm »
Only one I've eaten at is Myanmar in Falls Church.  Have no idea how it stacks up against the others, but it's decent.  It's been there a while.

James Ford

« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2013, 05:24:15 pm »
This area needs a good Indonesian restuarant. Like the ones I ate at in Amsterdam last year.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2013, 05:46:20 pm »
I could eat me some pancit!

Yada

« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2013, 12:43:36 pm »
Le Diplomate lived up to the hype... quite the killer meal and a gorgeous space.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 12:47:24 pm by Yada »

Bags

« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2013, 01:12:27 pm »
Have lunch at higher end places, or eat that bar for dinner and get apps, etc. Fiola would be a great bar meal, lunch at Proof, Bibiana, Brasserie Beck (Beck is a great brunch, actually).

Zaytinya remains my fave.

i've got another month left living in DC. what's everyones cant-miss joints?  not trying to kill my wallet, so think of little serow ($45 prefix) as my upper limit.

Just off the top of my head -

Get a Chivito if you haven't had one, from Take Eat Easy.  I think Fast Gourmet still serves it too.
Go to Ben's Chili Bowl one last time.
Try the shank at Pig.  Make sure you get the spoonbread.  Must have the spoonbread.  As a bonus, head across the street and finish your night at ChurchKey.
Po Boys at Bayou are worth the trip.

Hmmm.  That's all I can think of for now.

great ideas.  i've had the FG chivito, delicious, but pricey.  the cubano there is the real winner, IMO.

bayou in foggy bottom or bayou bakery in arlington? i recently found bayou bakery in arlington, and fuck me is that place great.

Bags

« Reply #82 on: August 22, 2013, 01:34:44 pm »
I think Le Dip lives up to the hype.  Amazing bread basket, great atmosphere, everything my party of four had was yummy.  One thing was a tad too salty -- can't remember what now.  But, the place is a marvel in terms of a well-run restaurant.  And that means a lot, that's your customer service.

Yada

« Reply #83 on: August 22, 2013, 01:45:52 pm »
I think Le Dip lives up to the hype.  Amazing bread basket, great atmosphere, everything my party of four had was yummy.  One thing was a tad too salty -- can't remember what now.  But, the place is a marvel in terms of a well-run restaurant.  And that means a lot, that's your customer service.

Indeed... Can't say one bad thing about it really. I didn't realize there were already two of them in other cities which is kind of lame in my opinion, but oh well.

Bags

« Reply #84 on: August 22, 2013, 02:02:50 pm »
There aren't other Le Diplomate's in other cities, but Stephen Starr, the restaurateur, is from Philly and has a whole host of restaurants.  Like a dozen in Philadelphia, a few in NYC and a few in Miami, I think.  So, it is part of this pseudo "celebrity chef" concept -- though he's not a t.v. personality, he's a well known entity.  Still, I'll take it.  A lot of medium places opening along that stretch...

Yada

« Reply #85 on: August 22, 2013, 02:16:30 pm »
There aren't other Le Diplomate's in other cities, but Stephen Starr, the restaurateur, is from Philly and has a whole host of restaurants.  Like a dozen in Philadelphia, a few in NYC and a few in Miami, I think.  So, it is part of this pseudo "celebrity chef" concept -- though he's not a t.v. personality, he's a well known entity.  Still, I'll take it.  A lot of medium places opening along that stretch...

Gotcha... That's what someone was telling me last night that we were dining with and it didn't seem to make sense.

I've actually eaten at Dandelion before in Philly, pretty tasty as well.

K8teebug

« Reply #86 on: August 26, 2013, 09:12:34 am »
I went to Farmers and Fishers Bakery for brunch yesterday and it was fantastic.  So much food, all really really good.  The Ramos Gin Fizz could have been better, but it's so hard to find that drink outside of New Orleans, that I was just happy to have the taste!

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #87 on: August 26, 2013, 10:26:59 am »
Oh wow - I've always wanted to go there....permission to live vicariously until such time?

K8teebug

« Reply #88 on: August 26, 2013, 11:32:21 am »
Mandalay in Silver Spring for Burmese food.  They have a DC one scheduled to one soon.  Very few Burmese restaurants out there, it's a mixture of Thai, Chinese and Indian flavors.  The Burmese place in Chinatown is good but Mandalay is better.

LOVE this place.

K8teebug

« Reply #89 on: August 26, 2013, 11:35:20 am »
Oh wow - I've always wanted to go there....permission to live vicariously until such time?

sure.  Definitely go there.  Ah-maz-ing.