Author Topic: Gastronomical Banter  (Read 467055 times)

Yada

Re: Gastronomical Banter
« Reply #150 on: August 28, 2013, 01:09:42 pm »
I recently made pizza using dough and sauce from Vace. Holy crap. I have always bought their pizza but making it with their ingredients is more fun and half the price (cost less than five bucks). Threw it on a pizza stone and let it cook in the oven for awhile. Outstanding.

In short, I'm never buying Trader Joe's dough again.

I used to do that all the time when I lived in DC, amazing doing it that way. I actually love their Italian Cold cut subs too, maybe the best in the city.

I'm a big fan of Marchone's Deli now in Wheaton. That's where I get my dough when we make homemade pies.

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #151 on: August 28, 2013, 01:18:35 pm »
what is vace?  i've always done TJs dough, because it's super fucking cheap.

Really good Italian store in Cleveland Park and Bethesda. They make some killer (and inexpensive) pizzas and subs, plus they sell fresh dough, cheese, meats etc, although the best Italian sub I've had is definitely at A Litteri. That place is a DC institution.

atomic

« Reply #152 on: August 28, 2013, 01:23:46 pm »
Do any of y'all find yourself cooking better food than most restaurants, making going to restaurants kind of pointless? I mean my wife makes better Mexican food than almost any Mexican restaurant I've ever been to. And she's a white chick from Chicago.

Maybe you guys should open up a restaurant.  There are restaurants I think I can do better than and there are restaurants that do better than me.  I try to eat stuff that isn't readily available in the local grocery stores when I go out.  Like some weird european fish or something that takes for ever to make like Coq au vin.

Plus ladies like to be taken to fancy restuarants from time to time. It is more than just the food. 

James Ford

« Reply #153 on: August 28, 2013, 01:38:24 pm »
We've discussed that possibility, but I'm lazy and office jobs are easier. Also, we're both financially conservative and our office jobs are much less of a financial risk than any kind of restaurant endeavor. Plus, we actually like our jobs we have now.

So we'll just stick to cooking for ourselves and friends. :)

Do any of y'all find yourself cooking better food than most restaurants, making going to restaurants kind of pointless? I mean my wife makes better Mexican food than almost any Mexican restaurant I've ever been to. And she's a white chick from Chicago.

Maybe you guys should open up a restaurant.  There are restaurants I think I can do better than and there are restaurants that do better than me.  I try to eat stuff that isn't readily available in the local grocery stores when I go out.  Like some weird european fish or something that takes for ever to make like Coq au vin.

Plus ladies like to be taken to fancy restuarants from time to time. It is more than just the food. 

« Reply #154 on: August 28, 2013, 02:22:42 pm »

It's not Peruvian, but I'm a sucker for Nando's Chicken.
Have wanted to check that one out too...looks good and I'm going hot

I basically bathe in the medium hot sauce.
Man that was good and not priced too bad either
slack

slappy

« Reply #155 on: August 28, 2013, 04:17:35 pm »

If you went Extra Hot, wait 'til it comes out. Fire in the hole.  ;D

Yada

« Reply #156 on: August 29, 2013, 08:41:52 am »

tread with caution there... I had a pretty crazy addiction to that place for close to a year which then transformed into be having a collection of all of their hot sauces and basically eating it on everything in sight.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #157 on: August 29, 2013, 12:22:22 pm »
what . . . were you in prison at one time?  do you play spades too?  i was in prison once, for a day, and it was interesting.  and rehabs and looney bins.  people who are locked up, do two things.  they eat everything with hotsauce, and play spades.

ggw

« Reply #158 on: August 29, 2013, 01:49:49 pm »
Bonchon is to chicken wings as Walter White is to meth.

K8teebug

« Reply #159 on: August 29, 2013, 02:02:31 pm »
There is one down the street from my work and I have yet to visit it!  Is it really that good?

Yada

« Reply #160 on: August 29, 2013, 02:05:15 pm »
There is one down the street from my work and I have yet to visit it!  Is it really that good?

If this is in reference to Nando's... yes, yes it is.

imbecile

« Reply #161 on: August 29, 2013, 03:23:57 pm »

tread with caution there... I had a pretty crazy addiction to that place for close to a year which then transformed into be having a collection of all of their hot sauces and basically eating it on everything in sight.

Agreed with everything above; Nando's is pretty awesome.  I usually go for the hot. 

Yada

« Reply #162 on: September 09, 2013, 01:55:50 pm »
Dined out at two restaurants this weekend.

Kapnos - Mike Isabella from Top Chef's new place on 14th and W. We sampled close to a dozen dishes and only one was not well above average. I'm not a fan of Graffiato so I was quite impressed with this Greek spot. If you're a fan of Zatinya, you'll love this place and you can tell his past experience of working there heavily influenced this menu.  I'll give it a solid A. I'm sure it will turn into a mob scene sooner than later.

Obelisk - Wow... what a let down. My partner and I went there for my birthday on Saturday night and after years of wanting to check that place, we left pretty underwhelmed.

The pre dinner anti-pasta wasn't paced well at all and were pretty disappointed in over half of the offerings. The Primi course was outstanding and some of the best pasta I've had... the kicker was the Secondi. First, there were only three options and we both went with a white fish that was littered with bones. I asked the waitress about and she said this particular cut it's normal to find bones, definitely a first for me.

Anyway, way overpriced... only a decent atmosphere... won't return.

James Ford

« Reply #163 on: September 09, 2013, 02:26:12 pm »
sounds like you should have skipped the fine dining and had pizza and bottle share beer.  ;)
Dined out at two restaurants this weekend.

Kapnos - Mike Isabella from Top Chef's new place on 14th and W. We sampled close to a dozen dishes and only one was not well above average. I'm not a fan of Graffiato so I was quite impressed with this Greek spot. If you're a fan of Zatinya, you'll love this place and you can tell his past experience of working there heavily influenced this menu.  I'll give it a solid A. I'm sure it will turn into a mob scene sooner than later.

Obelisk - Wow... what a let down. My partner and I went there for my birthday on Saturday night and after years of wanting to check that place, we left pretty underwhelmed.

The pre dinner anti-pasta wasn't paced well at all and were pretty disappointed in over half of the offerings. The Primi course was outstanding and some of the best pasta I've had... the kicker was the Secondi. First, there were only three options and we both went with a white fish that was littered with bones. I asked the waitress about and she said this particular cut it's normal to find bones, definitely a first for me.

Anyway, way overpriced... only a decent atmosphere... won't return.

Yada

« Reply #164 on: September 17, 2013, 03:48:51 pm »
Toki Underground now takes reservations.  ;D

I'll be dining there tonight.