Author Topic: Gastronomical Banter  (Read 467099 times)

Yada

Re: Gastronomical Banter
« Reply #465 on: December 15, 2014, 03:05:00 pm »
Grapeseed Bistro in Bethesda used to be awesome, but I haven't been in years.

Black's Bar and Kitchen is a great choice.

I'll second Olazzo, but definitely not "fancy" if you're looking for that vibe.

You could always drive a little further south and eat at Range as well. Can't go wrong there.

« Reply #466 on: December 15, 2014, 03:56:15 pm »
want a good date place in Bethesda: Bistro Provence

Blacks is good recommendation as well

« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 04:43:55 pm by Sidehatch »
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #467 on: December 15, 2014, 04:30:07 pm »
thanks for all the recommendations, y'all rock.  i'm making a list over here and saving it for next time. 

This place in Rockville is excellent-

ilpizzico.com

ha, this is exactly where we headed last night.  unfortunately they're closed on sundays.  grrrr.  ended up at Sushi Damo in rockville center.  good little spot, nice atmosphere and their house rolls are really creative.  had a great meal.  only downside is that we've been there many times and were hoping to branch out.  when we got to il pizzico and found out it was closed, we had to scramble and come up with a quick backup plan.  damo was sorta of a default... good but familiar.
<sig>

Bagley

« Reply #468 on: December 17, 2014, 03:45:53 pm »
Please help a homesick New Yorker find some real pizza in Montgomery County-not the Neopolitan, nor the coal fired, and no brick oven either.  Just the good old greasy, thin crispy crust NY style.  I've tried Giuseppe's,  Mama Lucia, Potomac pizza, pizza palace, etc

fatskippy

« Reply #469 on: December 17, 2014, 04:17:25 pm »
Please help a homesick New Yorker find some real pizza in Montgomery County-not the Neopolitan, nor the coal fired, and no brick oven either.  Just the good old greasy, thin crispy crust NY style.  I've tried Giuseppe's,  Mama Lucia, Potomac pizza, pizza palace, etc

Vace in Bethesda, I go to the Cleveland Park one a lot. Not the best pizza ever, but very good for the price and is NY style.

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #470 on: December 17, 2014, 05:01:11 pm »

Make the trip downtown and go to Wiseguy NY Pizza. It's by far the most authentic New York slice you'll find in the Washington area. Pete's in Silver Spring and Vace in Bethesda are great too.

Yada

« Reply #471 on: December 17, 2014, 06:39:59 pm »
I'll second Pete's Pizza. Until I discovered Pete's, it was damn near impossible to find a good slice in this city that wasn't "fancy" pizza.

It is a tad expensive, but definitely worth it.

K8teebug

« Reply #472 on: December 18, 2014, 09:21:27 am »
If you're in Columbia, we really like Trattoria. The one on Guilford Road is the best. Reminds me the most of my favorite NYC pizzas.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #473 on: December 18, 2014, 10:36:56 am »
I'll second Pete's Pizza. Until I discovered Pete's, it was damn near impossible to find a good slice in this city that wasn't "fancy" pizza.

Pete's is fine, if that's what you want.  However, if you are looking for NY Pizza, you will be highly disappointed.

Bagley

« Reply #474 on: December 18, 2014, 11:16:40 am »

Pete's is fine, if that's what you want.  However, if you are looking for NY Pizza, you will be highly disappointed.

Tried Pete's a couple year's back.  Didn't do it for me.  It's New Haven style, whatever that means.

« Reply #475 on: December 18, 2014, 03:44:32 pm »
  It's New Haven style, whatever that means.
means...not NY style
People from the Nutmeg state are a little obsessed with how good their pizza
it's not Ray's, that's for sure

Growing up on NY pizza, I've recently decided that by the slice is always the best
as it cooks the crust well, the chees melts...then cools
then the cook it again and the cheese gets a crisp crust

I like it so much better than with the soggy over cheeased crap they are calling pizza now-a-days
slack

bearman🐻

« Reply #476 on: December 18, 2014, 04:30:21 pm »
New Haven pizza is the closest thing I've had to authentic Italian pizza. I'd say it's probably the best pizza in the United States. If you've been to the original Pepe's in New Haven, you know it's no joke. Tomatoes are imported from Italy exclusively for them. I grew up with Chicago's deep dish pizza, and not to be a traitor to my city, but it's a joke. The best pizza in the country comes out of New Haven, and quite honestly nothing comes close. Before anyone thinks it's a gimmick, they should try it and judge for themselves. Pepe's gets a proper char on the crust. The freshness and quality of the ingredients makes it the best-tasting pizza, hands down.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 04:32:04 pm by bearman »

« Reply #477 on: December 18, 2014, 04:35:23 pm »
^^ see what I mean...
slack

shemptiness

« Reply #478 on: December 18, 2014, 04:45:39 pm »
^^ see what I mean...

I don't understand how that makes them any different from the NY pizza snobs.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #479 on: December 18, 2014, 04:53:47 pm »
Tomatoes are imported from Italy exclusively for them. ... The freshness and quality of the ingredients makes it the best-tasting pizza, hands down.
Must be that daily transatlantic tomato run FedEx does.
LVMH