Author Topic: Gastronomical Banter  (Read 466824 times)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Re: Gastronomical Banter
« Reply #570 on: May 09, 2016, 05:16:35 pm »

walk,on,by

« Reply #571 on: May 09, 2016, 07:30:02 pm »
So I'm coming to DC on Wednesday to meet a good friend for dinner, and I'm deciding to make a day of it and do some museums and lunch. I was thinking about going to jaleo for lunch.  Does anybody know any other place within walking distance of the mall that's excellent for lunch?

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #572 on: May 10, 2016, 09:49:47 am »
Depends on how far afoot you wanna go.  There are great choices in the direction of (and into) Penn Quarter, but that's a bit off the mall...

walk,on,by

« Reply #573 on: May 10, 2016, 10:00:06 am »
Im willing to walk within 5 to 7 blocks or so from the mall.

Yada

« Reply #574 on: May 10, 2016, 10:01:31 am »

You should get a soda pop, pretzel, and a hot dog from a vendor.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #575 on: May 10, 2016, 10:09:57 am »
You cannot go wrong with a sandwich from Red Apron:
(Porkstrami!)

http://redapronbutcher.com/documents/DStLunch03_14_15.pdf

Similar, related menu at The Partisan, nearby...
http://thepartisandc.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Lunch.pdf

« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 10:12:41 am by ja,ded »

walk,on,by

« Reply #576 on: May 10, 2016, 12:34:42 pm »

There was a time in my life where such things were very exciting to me. I also would buy T-shirts with a black Bart Simpson on them as well that said it's a black thing you just don't understand.

Yada

« Reply #577 on: May 10, 2016, 01:36:38 pm »

There was a time in my life where such things were very exciting to me. I also would buy T-shirts with a black Bart Simpson on them as well that said it's a black thing you just don't understand.

bow-tie pic please.

walk,on,by

« Reply #578 on: May 10, 2016, 01:47:44 pm »
you should join us for lunch tomorrow.  do you work in dc?

Bags

« Reply #579 on: May 10, 2016, 04:32:16 pm »
The Partisan is a good recommendation.  I love Central.  Folks love Oyamel, another Jose Andres joint.

walk,on,by

« Reply #580 on: May 27, 2016, 12:11:51 am »
Sugar shack donuts, dc, fall 2016.

Space Freely

« Reply #581 on: May 31, 2016, 09:10:05 am »
This is probably one of those "you had to be there" dining stories but thought I'd share anyway...

We're at this brewpub in upstate NY with my mom and brother and his wife. My mom grew up in the South, and the women at our table all thought the (male) server at our table was a bit on the smarmy side.

Anyway, my mom ordered a catfish poboy and made it a point of telling the server that she was from the South when ordering it.

So eating commences and finished and the women at the table are all sitting there talking about how unsatisfying the food was. And the server comes up behind my mom and asks "So how was that poboy, as good as they make them down South?"

And my mom did a non-verbal roll-eye answer like only a 75 year old woman can do, behind the server's back. Thus causing my wife, who had just drank a full mouthful of water, to involuntarily do a spit-spray laugh that covered half the table. And then more uncontrolled laughter ensued.

The end.

walk,on,by

« Reply #582 on: May 31, 2016, 12:46:50 pm »
I am, a part time server at a nice restaurant a couple days a week, because it is fun and I make killer money . . . and you should have seen what happened there yesterday.  Some woman lost her mind on a server and the manager and embarrassed herself so much, the rest of her party got up and ran for the door, apologizing for her the entire time.  needless to say, she was asked to leave or the police would be called.  the owner was there and saw the whole thing, with his mouth wide open.  some people, should just stay at home, and I think they enjoy mistreating restaurant employees, because they feel they are beneath them.  I thought, it was awesome.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #583 on: May 31, 2016, 01:06:31 pm »
John Hall, ex WHFS and WRNR, used to say that you shouldn't be allowed to eat in a restaurant until you've worked in one.

And I believe that everyone should work retail through at least one Xmas season.
😐 🎶

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #584 on: May 31, 2016, 07:39:00 pm »
I thought, it was awesome.

I guess you've gotta choose your batttles carefully but I once chimed in on some lady who was losing her shit on the wait staff. When I didn't back down her attitude changed completely.

Sounds like that lady was too far gone, though.