Author Topic: Gastronomical Banter  (Read 467230 times)

Yada

Re: Gastronomical Banter
« Reply #615 on: September 01, 2016, 10:13:58 am »
I just noticed the Kielbasa Factory in Rockville. Anything good to be had there?

Been meaning to go to that place for about 5 years now... still haven't made it. I'm pretty suck on dat Hillshire Farm Kielbasa.

Space Freely

« Reply #616 on: September 30, 2016, 09:34:15 am »
I have yet to go to Le Diplomate, but have read many wondrous things about it.  Anybody been?

I'm so tired of the 14th street scene and getting pretty darn close to tired of the H Street scene.

Is there any vetting process done for the restaurants that pop up on these streets or are they critically acclaimed just because they're there? I've had more shitty food on those strips in DC than anywhere else and all anyone does it talk them up... Bunch of over priced crap IMO.

Are you now even more tired of these scenes?

Yada

« Reply #618 on: September 30, 2016, 10:09:03 am »
I have yet to go to Le Diplomate, but have read many wondrous things about it.  Anybody been?

I'm so tired of the 14th street scene and getting pretty darn close to tired of the H Street scene.

Is there any vetting process done for the restaurants that pop up on these streets or are they critically acclaimed just because they're there? I've had more shitty food on those strips in DC than anywhere else and all anyone does it talk them up... Bunch of over priced crap IMO.

Are you now even more tired of these scenes?

I rarely participate in those scenes due to children and when I do, it's typically prior to 8pm when those scenes aren't as horrendous.

shemptiness

« Reply #619 on: September 30, 2016, 10:53:46 am »
I just noticed the Kielbasa Factory in Rockville. Anything good to be had there?

Been meaning to go to that place for about 5 years now... still haven't made it. I'm pretty suck on dat Hillshire Farm Kielbasa.

That's not even real kielbasa.

Yada

« Reply #620 on: September 30, 2016, 10:59:04 am »

That's not even real kielbasa.

Doesn't mean it's not delicious.

hutch

« Reply #621 on: October 03, 2016, 08:11:43 pm »
I think some of the restaurants on 14th are very good..

Le Diplomate, for example, was delicious

I'm not sure they are overpriced if they are packed.

Yada

« Reply #622 on: October 04, 2016, 08:49:36 am »
I think some of the restaurants on 14th are very good..

Le Diplomate, for example, was delicious

I'm not sure they are overpriced if they are packed.

I can't think of a "cheap" restaurant on 14th except McDs, Schzchen House, and Amsterdam Falaffel. Le Diplomate is delicious, but expensive as hell.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #623 on: October 04, 2016, 09:22:31 am »
I can't think of a "cheap" restaurant on 14th except
14th between what and what? Thai Tanic down by Logan is cheap as hell. Saint Ex is always a favorite when I'm in town and its cheap too.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #624 on: October 04, 2016, 09:31:48 am »
I can't think of a "cheap" restaurant on 14th except
14th between what and what? Thai Tanic down by Logan is cheap as hell. Saint Ex is always a favorite when I'm in town and its cheap too.

Minus the cock roaches running around on the floor at Thai Tanic, you are correct. I haven't eaten at St. Ex in years, but I sometimes forget if you don't have a half a dozen cocktails at dinner, then you can eat fairly thrifty on 14th. Additionally, blame Space as he quoted something i said nearly 3 years ago when I used to eat out 6 nights a week.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #625 on: October 04, 2016, 10:35:58 am »
Minus the cock roaches running around on the floor at Thai Tanic, you are correct.
You didn't say a "good" or "clean" cheap restaurant.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #626 on: October 04, 2016, 11:43:03 am »
I used to eat at thai tanic often when I lived a block away....no cockroaches back then.

I have to say the ambiance there was always lacking

if you want to eat cheap I think Yums is still open... people say they want the cheap places but nobody went to them when they were around..

you got to divide the prices by two... that tells you how much they really cost.. cause the price of living in dc has doubled... and that includes food, drinks, rent etc..

dyecraig

« Reply #627 on: October 04, 2016, 11:45:54 am »
^ yum's on 16th - jumbo wings w/mumbo sauce - always a winner.

bearman🐻

« Reply #628 on: October 04, 2016, 11:49:38 am »
When in Philly, go to Parc, which is what Le Diplomate is modeled from. It's less expensive and just as awesome, if not better because you can get in more easily.

walkie,talkie

« Reply #629 on: October 05, 2016, 02:00:45 pm »
If you ever find yourself out of the city, there is a interesting new restaurant in Marshall Virginia called Field and Main. Opened by a former sommelier of the Ashby Inn in Paris Virginia.