Author Topic: Gastronomical Banter  (Read 468279 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Gastronomical Banter
« Reply #705 on: June 07, 2017, 05:56:27 pm »
....i was an illegal alien gardener back then...
I just envisioned an actual illegal alien attending UofR and I'm about to pitch that hilarious, fish-out-of-water, comedy-hijinks-ensue premise to a network. I'll give you a Story By credit at some point if someone picks it up.

little know fact is Bronson Pinchot used Hutch as understudy
but the Perfect Strangers writers decided last minute to make him from a mythical Mediterranean island instead of Argentina
That is actually a neat fact.

True story: I knew a kid named Remington Steel growing up. His little brother was named Pierce. Everyone assumed their mom was a huge fan of that show/actor. Not true. Apparently Remington pierce was a big romance novel author or something.

Those kids got the living shit beaten out of them.
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #706 on: July 14, 2017, 04:10:34 pm »
Pizzeria Paradiso opens in Hyattsville tomorrow.  With better beer and flexible capacity, it's likely to give Franklin's a run for its money.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #707 on: September 20, 2017, 11:04:11 am »
Kapnos Taverna (College Park) opening for dinner on 9/25, lunch on 10/2, brunch on 10/7.  THIS IS HAPPENING PEOPLE

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #708 on: September 20, 2017, 03:58:51 pm »
Kapnos Taverna (College Park) opening for dinner on 9/25, lunch on 10/2, brunch on 10/7.  THIS IS HAPPENING PEOPLE

pardon my unawareness, but are we supposed to be excited about this?

not being snarky, i've just never heard of this establishment...
<sig>

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #709 on: September 20, 2017, 04:42:05 pm »

It's Mike Isabella's Greek restaurant - he has a few locations but it's kind of a big deal for College Park since it'll be on the ground floor of the brand new hotel that's directly across the street from the main entrance of UMD. I'm still surprised Cava Grill hasn't opened a location there yet, they would make an absolute killing.

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #710 on: September 20, 2017, 08:31:25 pm »

There is a Kapnos close (or at least on my drive to) the 930, at 14th and W, one in Bethesda as well. Isabella also has a couple of spots at Nats park. Folks seem to enjoy. I only eat at the Birchmere....

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #711 on: September 20, 2017, 08:32:56 pm »
This seems interesting, and a quick cheap eat (early) before going to a show at BlackCat especially.

http://www.thedarcyhotel.com/content/pdfs/lil-b-menu.pdf 

Took me 50 years to eat a Pimento Cheese sandwich. Instant new favorite.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #712 on: September 20, 2017, 08:40:37 pm »

There is a Kapnos close (or at least on my drive to) the 930, at 14th and W, one in Bethesda as well. Isabella also has a couple of spots at Nats park. Folks seem to enjoy. I only eat at the Birchmere....

The roasted cauliflower sandwich at G is phenomenal!

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #713 on: September 20, 2017, 08:44:40 pm »

The roasted cauliflower sandwich at G is phenomenal!

YES. I don't meat because I am insufferable, and that's the only Isabella thing I've ever eaten, pretty much each time I go to NatsLand.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #714 on: September 20, 2017, 08:49:29 pm »
I'm an omnivore, and I always get the cauliflower AND the lamb! Sooo good!

Yada

« Reply #715 on: September 21, 2017, 08:51:31 am »

I'm not sure why anyone would be excited about a restaurant in the DC area when they live in the Pac NW?

Now this is something to get excited about... I ate this about 9 hours ago. All systems in good spirits as of now.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #716 on: September 21, 2017, 02:34:54 pm »

I'm not sure why anyone would be excited about a restaurant in the DC area when they live in the Pac NW?

i was using the collective "we".
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #717 on: October 10, 2017, 10:04:50 am »
What's the deal with men wearing baseball hats while eating in restaurants? We had dinner at Pizza Paradiso last night (granted not the fancy kind of place usually discussed in this thread, but a sit down restaurant with servers nonetheless), and I counted no less that five men sitting there eating dinner wearing baseball hats. Like fucking little leaguers. Or perhaps they just pulled up on their John Deere tractor.

I've tried to wear a baseball hat at a dinner table maybe a half dozen times in the last 15 years (usually because I just hiked 10 miles and have dirty, unwashed hathead hair, or for some other similar reason), and each time my wife started screaming at me to take the hat off and threatening to leave the restaurant if I didn't.

« Reply #718 on: October 10, 2017, 10:09:44 am »
are bowler hats acceptable?
real question is...did they have working soap dispensers

IMO...PP is a place where a baseball hat is acceptable

Do you push in her chair when she sits too?
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #719 on: October 10, 2017, 10:15:21 am »
are bowler hats acceptable?
real question is...did they have working soap dispensers

IMO...PP is a place where a baseball hat is acceptable

Do you push in her chair when she sits too?

She's a little too heavy for me to push in her chair with her sitting in it. But we did have a discussion over the weekend where she told me I would score points if I pulled the chair out for her *before* she sat in it.

And no, with my wife no hats are acceptable. I even have a spiffy looking non-baseball hat that I wore out once that she insisted on removal.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 10:27:17 am by Space Freely »