Author Topic: RIP - Josh Burdette - thatguy  (Read 79304 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: RIP - Josh Burdette - thatguy
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2013, 09:54:41 pm »
dumbfound.

josh was the serenest person i knew.  his calm and wisdom were unique.  some people saw a NFL offensive linesman.  i knew a zen Buddhist monk.

what a terrible loss.
<sig>

Arthwys

« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2013, 10:03:23 pm »
Things that come to mind when I think of Josh:   Dedicated, Professional, Music-lover, Gentle, Capable.  He embodied everything a 9:30 staph should be.  My condolences to all that knew him, however slightly, and especially to all those that worked with him. 

P.S.  When I heard I went on his Thatguy facebook fan page, and was touched and saddened and glad all at the same time to see that Rainbow Connection was his last posting (other than random comments). 
Emrys

xcanuck

« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2013, 11:43:24 pm »
We have all have "Josh stories" and I'm sure they all make us smile. That's a great legacy. I hope he's found peace.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2013, 11:54:06 pm »
I have never in my life known anyone who was a more perfect fit for their job than Josh.  He had the ability, when needed, to get people to do what he wanted them to do while leaving them with the feeling that they made the choice to do so and it was made freely.  He took care of patrons of the club as they were long lost friends dropping by his house for the first time in ages.  In my heart I believe that Josh took his job to be ensuring everyone at the club on a given night had the best possible time they could have without them infringing on others' right to do so.  The entire mindset of the 930 club staff is a direct reflection of his nature and manner.  I recall on one occasion where Kim had baked pineapple upside down cake from scratch for the staff.  Seems by the time Josh got to the office to grab some, all that were left were crumbs.  Next time we came to the club Kim made TWO PUDCs, one set aside especially for Josh.  While we were waiting in line outside one of the staff who was new and did not know us said something about not being allowed to bring food into the club.  We just smiled and said OK.  Later when Josh got there he grabbed both of them and took them inside to her disbelief.  He made a point to let Kim know that he liked them a lot.  :)

FUKIT

DotTheEyes

« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2013, 12:36:38 am »
It is very cool how rich his legacy is, as indicated by, among other articles and responses today, the very moving Washington Post obituary.  The folk-hero status is a true testament to the way he infused his responsibilities at the club and other I.M.P. venues with integrity and a distinct personal vision, not just his Schwarzenegger sized physical presence.

markie

« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2013, 02:28:53 am »
So sad. Our thoughts go out to his friends and family. He was always the nicest guy to us.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2013, 04:05:23 am »
I came back to share something with y'all.  My first trip to the club was to see The Rollins Band (Mother Superior) which I believe was in 2001.  I had what was then a nice digital camera with me and I "'snuck it in" not knowing that it was probably OK to have it anyway.  So I am upstairs on the rail stage left very close to the front, taking pictures having a good time.  Eventually I decide to put the camera in video mode and record a song or two.  Not long after that I got a visit from Josh telling me I needed to give him my camera and pick it up on the way out.  I (not so) subtly treated Josh like he was a total dumb ass by explaining to him about it being a digital camera (like someone like him would have no idea about digital photography) and asking if it was OK if I just took the batteries out and gave them to him.  Ended up me giving him the camera and getting it on the way out the door.

It was maybe a year later that it finally dawned on me that I had treated him so poorly and made a rash judgement about him based solely on his appearance.  I decided to do something about that.  So the next time we hit the club, I made sure to watch for Josh to arrive. When he did I asked to speak with him privately for a bit and I explained that I had I owed him an apology and he may not even recall why.  I told him the story and let him know that I judged him and that I apologized for doing that.  He got that almost smile look on his face that he would get sometimes, looked me directly in the eyes and told me "thank you" in the most genuine and sincere way I have ever heard those words spoken.  Josh taught me something that it took me until well past my 40th birthday to realize.  That being that it is OK for me to be me and not have to explain me to anyone.  I am very thankful that my HP pointed out how I wronged him and gave me the wisdom to try to make it right. 
FUKIT

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2013, 09:48:21 am »
My thoughts and positive vibes are with all his friends and families. I remember seeing him almost every time I've been at the club. I remember him talking to me a few times and being super polite.

One time at a show, this incredibly drunk guy kept bumping into this group of girls while he was moshing or something [by himself] so I asked the guy next to me if he would help me kind of ask this guy to stop and the dude ended up pushing us both, so we grabbed him and took him off to the side, where about 4 security guards grabbed the guy and he began fighting them off to the right of the stage. They took him out that back door and were dealing with him outside. Josh came back into the crowd and asked me to go outside with him. He asked me a few questions about what happened and walked me over to the ambulance to make sure I was fine. My finger was sore, I think it got caught in the guys shirt, but he made sure I was fine, thanked me for acting and sent me back on my way before the headliners came on... I forget what show it was. So sorry to hear about his loss. :(
‼‼?‼‼

mekmad

« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2013, 09:56:17 am »
Josh will be missed, RIP.

TheREALHunter

« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2013, 10:03:05 am »
On Fox 5 news this morning, Raheem DeVaughn performed a song in the studio as an artist drew a sketch of Josh at the same time, pretty cool.

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/23324252/raheem-devaughn-visits-fox-5#axzz2drL5ikx3
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 03:26:00 pm by TheREALHunter »

slappy

« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2013, 10:11:12 am »
Not seeing Josh at shows or Caps games anymore is like the Mall without the Washington Monument ... just not right. RIP.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 11:34:03 am by sweetcell »
<sig>

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2013, 10:58:56 am »
Sad sad news.  Condolences to all that knew him and to the 930 family.

His sandbox will miss him.