Author Topic: Black Cat 20th  (Read 7590 times)

nkotb

Black Cat 20th
« on: September 16, 2013, 10:02:17 am »
So that was pretty fun.

Night one was great; missed the Shirks who played their last note as I waited in line to get my ticket.  Would've caught a bit more, but the guy at the door was busy looking for the guest list info for the person in front of me...Tuscadero's Margaret McCarthy, which made me kind of laugh.

Ted Leo was great as always...killer end-of-set run through some Tyranny classics.  Girls Against Boys were always a favorite of mine, and bringing David Yow out to do two Jesus Lizard songs basically had me freaking out.  Gray Matter I hadn't listened too beyond a song or two on compilations; they struck me as pretty standard Dischord punk but that's a great thing in my book.

Night two was just as fun; I left early enough to catch Mary Timony...except it took me 25 minutes to get a spot and I walked in on her last note too.  Bummer.  I was never really into New Wet Kojak, but their set was pretty enjoyable, I thought.  I loved Tuscadero...they're so underrated, even in my own book.  And whlie I was never much of a Shudder to Think fan, that was a pretty great set.  I've tried to get into them a few times over the years without much luck...might try again after that set.

Good stuff.

azaghal1981

Re: Black Cat 20th
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 10:07:55 am »
Yeah, I agree w/ all that.

Sucks you missed the Timony/Larson set. Short but great.
Tuscadero were my highlight, as well!
احمد

K8teebug

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 10:14:27 am »
I always miss Tuscadero.  Have never gotten to see them!  But I LOVE them.

bearman🐻

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 10:19:27 am »
I miss the Teenbeat anniversary shows with all the bands like Air Miami, The Ropers, Tuscadero, True Love Always, Flin Flon, The Rondelles, Versus, Aden, etc. Those were some killer shows.