Author Topic: Orioles....part 2?  (Read 330299 times)

vansmack

Re: Orioles....part 2?
« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2014, 02:09:59 pm »
Drew wants 14 million a year and is an average fielder at best. 

So long as nobody does anything stupid in the next few days given the spate of middle infield injuries, Drew's going to sign on June 8 for about $5 or $6 million.

Lombardozzi has no power, has a career obp less than .300 and is a below average fielder.  Gonzalez can play shortstop regularly so I can see why they want him over Lombardozzi .  I hardly would rate this as a great deal.   Lombardozzi might end up in the minors when Manny comes back and if Schoop performs. 

Short sighted as usual.  The O's were going to cut Gonzalez, and turned that into a 3 position player that provides a lot of depth at an extremely inexpensive price.
27>34

atomic

« Reply #106 on: March 25, 2014, 02:32:48 pm »

So long as nobody does anything stupid in the next few days given the spate of middle infield injuries, Drew's going to sign on June 8 for about $5 or $6 million.

Lombardozzi has no power, has a career obp less than .300 and is a below average fielder.  Gonzalez can play shortstop regularly so I can see why they want him over Lombardozzi .  I hardly would rate this as a great deal.   Lombardozzi might end up in the minors when Manny comes back and if Schoop performs. 

Short sighted as usual.  The O's were going to cut Gonzalez, and turned that into a 3 position player that provides a lot of depth at an extremely inexpensive price.

So the Tigers probably would have cut Lombardozzi.  Neither guy is setting the world on fire.  Lombardozzi is worse than Flaherty.  He will provide triple A depth once Manny is healthy, I hardly call that a great trade.

vansmack

« Reply #107 on: March 25, 2014, 03:48:50 pm »
if Schoop performs. 

Hot Tommy (Utah)

What are Schoop's chances of taking the Baltimore 2B job and not looking back?

David Schoenfield  (1:42 PM)

I don't see it. His Triple-A numbers last year were pretty weak -- .256/.301/.396. Hit .245 the year before in Double-A.
27>34

shemptiness

« Reply #108 on: March 25, 2014, 04:43:06 pm »
I didn't realize the O's got Lombardozzi in the Gonzalez deal.  That's a great deal for the O's, turning a minor league contract for Gonzalez into an under control utility guy.

Quite possibly the opening day second baseman.  I think Schoop plays every day at AAA and Flaherty keeps 3B warm until Manny returns.  2B could go to Weeks as well. 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 04:47:26 pm by Shemp »

K8teebug

« Reply #109 on: March 26, 2014, 11:50:51 am »
I think Flaherty is going to have a break out year.

anyone else watch the Orioles on 30 clubs in 30 days? 

Last Wednesday without baseball!

Got Haggis?

« Reply #110 on: March 26, 2014, 11:54:37 am »
just purchased a partial season ticket plan..so opening day is a go for me, woohoo

Did you get seats for opening day or did they give you standing room? Last year when I ordered late they said they only had standing room only.
i got seats...mainly upper reserve available with a few lower reserve

shemptiness

« Reply #111 on: March 27, 2014, 11:05:21 pm »
Aceves opts out.  I'm happy that he'll be someone else's problem.  Balfour too.

K8teebug

« Reply #112 on: March 28, 2014, 07:50:40 am »
Reimold on the DL. So surprised!  I want him to succeed, but this is ridiculous.

atomic

« Reply #113 on: March 28, 2014, 09:42:34 am »
Aceves opts out.  I'm happy that he'll be someone else's problem.  Balfour too.

Balfour is someone else's problem?  I think we could really use him.   Hunter is going to have problems.

shemptiness

« Reply #114 on: March 29, 2014, 10:21:28 am »
Looks like Schoop is in and Weeks is out.

vansmack

« Reply #115 on: March 29, 2014, 05:09:50 pm »

Unfortunately,  I can't quote the now locked O's thread where I called this.
27>34

Stillwater

« Reply #116 on: March 29, 2014, 05:19:18 pm »
I literally have no idea what my Tigers were thinking there. Why didn't we just keep Lombo and play him at SS?

Couple that with the Romine for Alvarez deal and I have no idea what Tigers are doing scrambling for a middle infielder rental.

Gonzalez, Romine, Worth and Perez are all kind of the same player in my eyes.  Why not use one then sign Drew after the draft?

Sox fan, watched Drew all of last year.  He was fantastic defensively.  I'm glad we didn't bring him back (yet), but saying he is a below average defensive SS is hyperbolic beyond reason.

shemptiness

« Reply #117 on: March 29, 2014, 09:16:23 pm »

Unfortunately,  I can't quote the now locked O's thread where I called this.

I don't think he's ready.  Infield depth scares me with Manny out.  I hope I'm wrong.

atomic

« Reply #118 on: March 29, 2014, 09:19:11 pm »
I literally have no idea what my Tigers were thinking there. Why didn't we just keep Lombo and play him at SS?

Couple that with the Romine for Alvarez deal and I have no idea what Tigers are doing scrambling for a middle infielder rental.

Gonzalez, Romine, Worth and Perez are all kind of the same player in my eyes.  Why not use one then sign Drew after the draft?

Sox fan, watched Drew all of last year.  He was fantastic defensively.  I'm glad we didn't bring him back (yet), but saying he is a below average defensive SS is hyperbolic beyond reason.

I am just going by fielding stats.  He is rated below replacement level on defense for last year.

Stillwater

« Reply #119 on: March 29, 2014, 10:46:09 pm »
Defensive stats aren't there yet.

Unless you think Adam Jones is the 17th best defensive CF out of the 19 MLB CFs with over 900 innings out there last year.