Author Topic: Orioles....part 2?  (Read 330353 times)

James Ford

Re: Orioles....part 2?
« Reply #150 on: April 21, 2014, 12:04:30 pm »
I actually hate Roger Clemens because he's white. Black people should get a pass when they do something bad because they are historically oppressed. White people should get no such pass.

its amazing how much a guy like bonds got villified..then you have an admitted cheater (once? I think twice) and he's getting standing ovations? and people talking on mlb network about how great a hitter he is?

Braun only got a standing o at home. On the road, he gets jeered and heckled.  Bonds, like Rodriguez and Roger Clemens, is getting extra hate for the lying on top of the cheating.

it's not out of line to say bonds gets some extra hate for two other reasons: he was really, really, good, and he's black.

stevewizzle

« Reply #151 on: April 21, 2014, 12:12:13 pm »
okay

James Ford

« Reply #152 on: April 21, 2014, 12:19:59 pm »
I didn't realize people who poured on the hate for Barry Bonds were doing it because he was black. I thought they were doing it because he was a smug, arrogant asshole.

ggw

« Reply #153 on: April 21, 2014, 12:23:40 pm »
it's not out of line to say bonds gets some extra hate for two other reasons: he was really, really, good, and he's black.

Nor is it out of line to say he is not being judged by the color of his skin but by the content of his character.  By all accounts, he is an egotistical, insufferable prick.

stevewizzle

« Reply #154 on: April 21, 2014, 12:25:18 pm »
I didn't realize people who poured on the hate for Barry Bonds were doing it because he was black. I thought they were doing it because he was a smug, arrogant asshole.

so are the other two.

it's pretty well documented that there's far more animosity and resentment towards blacks when it comes to doing wrong.  it's really not even a debate.

stevewizzle

« Reply #155 on: April 21, 2014, 12:30:27 pm »

Nor is it out of line to say he is not being judged by the color of his skin but by the content of his character.  By all accounts, he is an egotistical, insufferable prick.

i don't disagree, but braun was considered an egotistical, insufferable prick all but a year ago and the hate is dissapearing.  bonds hasn't played since 2007, and he's still vehemently hated. 

shemptiness

« Reply #156 on: April 21, 2014, 12:37:53 pm »
Speaking of the Tigers, when is Chris "Brady" Davis going to start hitting some home runs?

Short answer: As soon as they start throwing him strikes.  And the weather warms up.

vansmack

« Reply #157 on: April 21, 2014, 12:39:44 pm »
I hate them both.

And in San Francisco, they defend Bonds just like Milwaukee defends Braun.

At least nobody defends Rodriguez any longer.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #158 on: April 21, 2014, 12:52:37 pm »
Speaking of the Tigers, when is Chris "Brady" Davis going to start hitting some home runs?

From the now closed Orioles thread:

Vansmack said:
Re: ORIOLES
« Reply #877 on: June 13, 2013, 10:19:06 AM »
To bring this back to the O's - do not let Chris Davis participate in the HR Derby.

You've been warned.

17 HRs since he participated in the HR Derby.  30 in that same time span before then (2012 all star break through April 2013).
27>34

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #159 on: April 21, 2014, 01:10:14 pm »
The hate on Bonds is because he broke the most hallowed record in sports by cheating.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #160 on: April 21, 2014, 01:14:25 pm »
The hate on Bonds is because he broke the most hallowed record in sports by cheating.

I was waiting for someone to say this. Excellent.

Another under commented on part is his truculence with the media. The media hated bonds because he made it harder for them to do their jobs. The average sports fan is an idiot who regurgitates whatever the media and ESPN says -- hence why people irrationally hate lebron despite him being the greatest basketball player of all time -- because they don't like critical thinking. It shouldn't actually matter to any sports fan that bonds was aloof with the media because it doesn't affect us one iota, however the fact of the media kept calling him names basically for a decade before there's any steroid allegations just primed the well for his comeuppance.
LVMH

stevewizzle

« Reply #161 on: April 21, 2014, 01:28:46 pm »

it was only the most hallowed record after mcgwire broke the single season HR record and we found out he cheated... oh, well, then it must be the all-time home run total that matters the most. right.

historical stats are meaningless these days.  we have WAR and era+ and all of the other new age statistics to tell us how remarkable a player is.  also meaningless? "hating" a player you never know outside of the media's portrayal of him.

chaz

« Reply #162 on: April 21, 2014, 01:35:24 pm »

it was only the most hallowed record after mcgwire broke the single season HR record and we found out he cheated... oh, well, then it must be the all-time home run total that matters the most. right.

OK, if you must split hairs then I will explain it for you.  Yes the single season mark was at one time the most hallowed.  But it was sullied first.  So at the time that Bonds broke the all time mark, it was the most revered record still to be held by a clean player.

vansmack

« Reply #163 on: April 21, 2014, 01:46:46 pm »
also meaningless? "hating" a player you never know outside of the media's portrayal of him.

I take a little issue with this statement.  I hated Bonds for these reasons:

I Told Bonds to Move up, he gave me the finger

"The Great White Hope" comment (he doesn't deny saying it)

This "discussion" with Leyland after he lost his salary arbitration

And this Bonds signs contract with the Giants

All long before he 'roided up.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 01:49:38 pm by vansmack »
27>34

chaz