Author Topic: The MLB Thread  (Read 615349 times)

vansmack

Re: The MLB Thread
« Reply #225 on: May 28, 2014, 01:16:44 pm »
27>34

hutch

« Reply #226 on: May 28, 2014, 08:32:47 pm »
I thought 50 cents' throw was awesome....it just has me laughing all day.. just look at the shocked reactions of the people there....

I can't help but think he did it on purpose

stevewizzle

« Reply #227 on: May 29, 2014, 11:09:30 am »
bought mlb.tv over the weekend.  watched my first "home" dodgers broadcast last night.  first vin scully experience!  i'm watching every single dodgers broadcast from now on.

vansmack

« Reply #228 on: May 29, 2014, 06:23:46 pm »
bought mlb.tv over the weekend.  watched my first "home" dodgers broadcast last night.  first vin scully experience!  i'm watching every single dodgers broadcast from now on.

I'm so fortunate to have grown up with that - and I didn't even like the Dodgers.  He does about 100 games a year - all games in LA and most of the Western US road games.

I had forgotten this when I turned on Beckett's no hitter about the 7th inning and he wasn't calling it.
27>34

hutch

« Reply #229 on: May 29, 2014, 08:12:32 pm »

Dodgers are a great fun time to watch right now.... they seem to show their games on MLB Network on Verizon fios 586 a lot and I been enjoying them a ton...

Dodgers may be my favorite team to watch right now...

vansmack

« Reply #230 on: May 30, 2014, 06:59:11 pm »
David Freese traded to Angels
Updated: November 22, 2013, 2:52 PM ET
By Jerry Crasnick | ESPN.com

The St. Louis Cardinals have traded third baseman and former World Series MVP David Freese to the Los Angeles Angels for outfielder Peter Bourjos as part of a four-player trade, the teams confirmed Friday.

In addition to Freese, the Angels also will receive reliever Fernando Salas. The Cardinals, meanwhile, also will receive outfield prospect Randal Grichuk.

It would have been pretty ironic if they had sent down Bourjos (hitting .211) to bring up Grichuck....luckily for Bourjos, Robinson was hitting .152.

Cards Call up Grichuck
27>34

stevewizzle

« Reply #231 on: May 31, 2014, 01:18:16 pm »

I'm so fortunate to have grown up with that - and I didn't even like the Dodgers.  He does about 100 games a year - all games in LA and most of the Western US road games.

I had forgotten this when I turned on Beckett's no hitter about the 7th inning and he wasn't calling it.

kind of fitting that he didn't call beckett's game.  i've followed josh beckett's career since the early marlin's days, from his headcase days until a few years ago when he started mailing it in with the sox.  i'm not sure there's any person less-deserving than him to have the honor of vin call his no-hitter.

stevewizzle

« Reply #232 on: May 31, 2014, 01:19:20 pm »

Dodgers are a great fun time to watch right now.... they seem to show their games on MLB Network on Verizon fios 586 a lot and I been enjoying them a ton...

Dodgers may be my favorite team to watch right now...

agree.  i'll watch dodgers over any team right now.

vansmack

« Reply #233 on: June 03, 2014, 07:33:38 pm »
@BudNorris25  Sorry but this Singleton deal is terrible. Wish Jon listened to the union and not his agent.

Bud Norris, aged 29, in his 7th year of Major League Service, $9.6 million in career earnings, can be a free agent at age 31.

Jon Singleton, aged 22, no major league experience, $10 million in career earnings guaranteed, 3 club options can balloon the deal to $30 million, can be a free agent at age 30.

I'm looking forward to watching him in about 30 mins. 
27>34

atomic

« Reply #234 on: June 03, 2014, 10:40:12 pm »
Why do the Angels insist on starting Ibanez over Cron?  Just release Ibanez already.  He is done.  Hitting worse than a pitcher.

vansmack

« Reply #235 on: June 04, 2014, 12:27:21 pm »
Why do the Angels insist on starting Ibanez over Cron?  Just release Ibanez already.  He is done.  Hitting worse than a pitcher.

It's inevitable with Cron (hitting better against righties than anyone expected), Cowgill hitting almost .290 and Calhoun, despite hitting .227, all hitting better than Ibanez.  Unless he's willing to take over Lefty pinch hit duties, the return of Josh Hamilton will just about signal the end for him.   

His AB with one out and runner on third last night was among the worst I've seen from him.  All he needed was a ground ball or a fly ball and he gets an RBI - instead he pops out, in foul territory, to the first baseman. 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 12:29:20 pm by vansmack »
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #236 on: June 08, 2014, 01:22:09 pm »
Cron's job is safe, even if his AB's might suffer.  The real loser is Grant Green, hitting .359 this season in 22 games, as he was sent down and Ibanez was kept on the roster.

It's a joke now with him hitting below .150....
27>34

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #237 on: June 11, 2014, 04:32:08 pm »

yikes

vansmack

« Reply #238 on: June 11, 2014, 04:58:09 pm »
yikes

That was the third Angel runner I'd seen him throw out at home in the last week and half, and the third Angel thrown out at home or third in that game.  I threw my glasses across the room and when I went to put them on this morning, they split in the middle.  I'm sure it was just a coincidence....

That throw is ridiculously great, and the audacity to look back after he dropped the ball to almost challenge Kendrick to run on him is amazing.  If you get a chance to watch the whole video, you should - his celebration is so subdued, his smirk is almost "yeah, I just did that and I'll do it again if I have to."  Amazing.  I was so pissed and yet in awe.

Edit: Here you go - the full video.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 05:00:42 pm by vansmack »
27>34

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #239 on: June 11, 2014, 05:07:51 pm »
yeah the full video tells a betetr story but the gif shows just how far he threw the damn ball on the fly. you just dont see throws like that from left field

i love that he totally botches the pick up, inexplicably pauses before running after it, then unleashes that. the reaction of black shirt/red hat fan behind home plate says it all

of course plays like this bring out all sorts of "ive seen better" curmudgeons, but thats objectively one of the best throws youll ever see. ive watched the video a few dozen times and my jaw still drops.

credit to norris for playing it perfectly on his end too. would have been a damn shame for a throw that good to be for nothing cuz the catcher messed up