Author Topic: The MLB Thread  (Read 615145 times)

stevewizzle

Re: The MLB Thread
« Reply #330 on: July 31, 2014, 11:25:51 am »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

A++++++++ would trade again

vansmack

« Reply #331 on: July 31, 2014, 11:33:36 am »
Tommy Millone to Minn for Sam Fuld.

Billy has ruined my morning.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #332 on: July 31, 2014, 11:39:29 am »
A+

I'm assuming this is grade you're giving me for calling Oakland getting Lester?

I don't think Boston is making out as much as everyone thinks.  Cespedes is a free agent in 2015 - Oakland knew they couldn't resign him (2 months of Lester is worth 2 months of Cespedes as they likely would have traded him this offseason).  His defense will be wasted in left field in Boston, though his power #'s should increase in that park.  Still might be a negative WAR.   
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 11:50:59 am by vansmack »
27>34

hutch

« Reply #333 on: July 31, 2014, 12:36:19 pm »
I think Oakland made out better....

I am continually amazed by some of these trades Beane pulls off...

hutch

« Reply #334 on: July 31, 2014, 12:44:29 pm »
Lacked to Cards

I mean why think Boston made out like bandits? Oakland was not going to sign Cespedes to a long term deal... thats not the way they operate

vansmack

« Reply #335 on: July 31, 2014, 12:49:07 pm »
Lackey to Cards

For Allen Craig and Joe Kelly.  That might be a better haul than Lester (though I haven't looked at the contracts yet).
27>34

stevewizzle

« Reply #336 on: July 31, 2014, 01:19:03 pm »
craig is signed through 2017 (team option for 2018), and he's have a remarkably bad year after having 3 straight excellent seasons. not good, excellent.  the past two seasons were MVP-caliber even though he was largely unrecognized.

cespedes is no longer a young prospect and some of his plate discipline is concerning, but he's getting out of a tough division filled with pitchers parks and moving to the AL east where it's practically little league fields in comparison.

yeah, A+ to vansmack for calling OAK.  but my prediction is heads will roll in OAK when it turns out they gutted their team for a win-now mentality and it doesn't work out.  lester is a stud, but this is no roy halladay/cliff lee type of pick-up. 

boston just traded for 2 all-star outfielders, mid relief, and got something in return for two pitchers who were out the door anyways. 

stevewizzle

« Reply #337 on: July 31, 2014, 01:22:08 pm »
just for fun, look at Oakland's line-up and insert jonny gomes instead of yoenis cespedes.  that's not a line-up i would want to trot out for a world series.

hutch

« Reply #338 on: July 31, 2014, 01:27:32 pm »
just for fun, look at Oakland's line-up and insert jonny gomes instead of yoenis cespedes.  that's not a line-up i would want to trot out for a world series.

first of all, no trades are going assure a World Series win... you can't guarantee it

but in October pitchers tend to dominate.... games tend to be low scoring..its COLD.....

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #339 on: July 31, 2014, 01:36:59 pm »
Andrew Miller to Detroit. Not sure whats going back yet.
LVMH

stevewizzle

« Reply #340 on: July 31, 2014, 01:46:25 pm »

first of all, no trades are going assure a World Series win... you can't guarantee it

but in October pitchers tend to dominate.... games tend to be low scoring..its COLD.....

yeah, and what i'm saying is OAK is all in for 2014 and has gutted their future, and even if they make it to the WS, imagine that line-up vs kershaw, grienke, beckett, and ryu.  hell, kershaw and grienke are better pitchers than anyone on the OAK staff.  even though cespedes had an atrocious OBP, he was an RBI guy that drove in runs at the 5-spot.  they'll now rely on brendan moss and donaldson to put runs on the board.  it's NOT a good line-up.

hutch

« Reply #341 on: July 31, 2014, 01:58:33 pm »

yeah, and what i'm saying is OAK is all in for 2014 and has gutted their future, and even if they make it to the WS, imagine that line-up vs kershaw, grienke, beckett, and ryu.  hell, kershaw and grienke are better pitchers than anyone on the OAK staff.  even though cespedes had an atrocious OBP, he was an RBI guy that drove in runs at the 5-spot.  they'll now rely on brendan moss and donaldson to put runs on the board.  it's NOT a good line-up.

they gutted their future by trading a guy they weren't going to sign?

explain that one to me..

nobody knows if the trade will end up being good.... we will have to wait....all I know is Beane really is all in for the playoffs this year...I like it..

lets remember when Boston traded Garciaparra which seemed insane...

AND there are still 2 hours left on the clock, no? :)

vansmack

« Reply #342 on: July 31, 2014, 01:59:24 pm »
Allen Craig declines to talk to media about trade. When asked, barely says, "No." Leaves ballpark after hug from Wainwright
27>34

stevewizzle

« Reply #343 on: July 31, 2014, 02:08:10 pm »

they gutted their future by trading a guy they weren't going to sign?

explain that one to me..

nobody knows if the trade will end up being good.... we will have to wait....all I know is Beane really is all in for the playoffs this year...I like it..

lets remember when Boston traded Garciaparra which seemed insane...

AND there are still 2 hours left on the clock, no? :)

they gutted most of their future with the shark trade.  cespedes still had one more relatively cheap year left and they wont re-sign lester. 

i'm not saying the trade is good or bad, i'm saying their line-up is bad already and it just got worse. and they'll compete this year, sure, but the future is uncertain.

the red sox? they are trading past assets for present and future assets.  whether their return pans out or not, they re-building the middle of their order fabulously.

stevewizzle

« Reply #344 on: July 31, 2014, 02:10:42 pm »
also, i love the fact that billy beane's two big trades are with theo epstein and ben cherington.  billy beane essentially saying "we need pitchers now" and theo and ben saying "we need offense now, we'll buy pitching later".