Author Topic: The MLB Thread  (Read 615014 times)

hutch

Re: The MLB Thread
« Reply #345 on: July 31, 2014, 02:12:56 pm »
just for fun, look at Oakland's line-up and insert jonny gomes instead of yoenis cespedes.  that's not a line-up i would want to trot out for a world series.

first of all, no trades are going assure a World Series win... you can't guarantee it

but in October pitchers tend to dominate.... games tend to be low scoring..its COLD.....

yeah, and what i'm saying is OAK is all in for 2014 and has gutted their future, and even if they make it to the WS, imagine that line-up vs kershaw, grienke, beckett, and ryu.  hell, kershaw and grienke are better pitchers than anyone on the OAK staff.  even though cespedes had an atrocious OBP, he was an RBI guy that drove in runs at the 5-spot.  they'll now rely on brendan moss and donaldson to put runs on the board.  it's NOT a good line-up.

they gutted their future by trading a guy they weren't going to sign?

explain that one to me..

nobody knows if the trade will end up being good.... we will have to wait....all I know is Beane really is all in for the playoffs this year...I like it..

lets remember when Boston traded Garciaparra which seemed insane...

AND there are still 2 hours left on the clock, no? :)

they gutted most of their future with the shark trade.  cespedes still had one more relatively cheap year left and they wont re-sign lester. 

i'm not saying the trade is good or bad, i'm saying their line-up is bad already and it just got worse. and they'll compete this year, sure, but the future is uncertain.

the red sox? they are trading past assets for present and future assets.  whether their return pans out or not, they re-building the middle of their order fabulously.

so you're not REALLLY saying they gutted their future are you? more like  they gutted 2015..

come on now... hyperbole much?

Cespedes is gutting your future???? with 1 year left?

I want to understand where you're coming from because I will fully admit I'm not baseball expert but.....

vansmack

« Reply #346 on: July 31, 2014, 02:27:32 pm »
Seattle got Denorfia.  Strange...
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #347 on: July 31, 2014, 02:29:09 pm »
Andrew Miller to Detroit. Not sure whats going back yet.

I heard this was off (not saying it won't be back on, but it's not done right now)
27>34

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #348 on: July 31, 2014, 02:30:59 pm »
Andrew Miller to Detroit. Not sure whats going back yet.

I heard this was off (not saying it won't be back on, but it's not done right now)
Yeah, just saw that. Morosi and a few others are saying Dodgers out of the Price talks and Detroit is kicking the tires there. Seems really unlikely since they'd want Smyly back as part of any package and he's currently on the mound throwing. I'm guessing once Detroit doesn't get Price they go back around to the Miller trade.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #349 on: July 31, 2014, 02:36:53 pm »
Beane gave up building from within years ago - especially position players.  I don't think he drafted a single starter not on the pitching staff on this years team.

Billy Beane is clearly going all in this season, but at little risk.  He hasn't forgotten that he started a combination  of Bartolo Colon, Jarrod Parker and Sonny Gray against Justin Verlander/Max Scherzer in games 1 & 5 in 2012 and 2013 and lost all 4.  He needed to counter and has with this deal.

Cespedes was nearly dealt this offseason to Arizona and wasn't - I think because of the Trumbo pickup.  Maybe Beane is forgetting that he also lost game 5 because Cabrera hit a HR and the A's didn't score at all, but the truth is he knows he needs to lower his runs against, not his runs for, to avoid the one game playoff (though I really don't think Anaheim can catch them, but he's worried enough that he had to make a move.

Remove Cespedes' run production for Gomes and they're still +135-140.  Now replace the 5th starter (or Hammel) with Lester and it's probably closer to +145-150.  I'm not seeing the huge risk in 2014.

Cespedes wasn't going to play for the A's in 2015 anyway. 

Boston on the other hand, gave up on 2014 and have made themselves much better for 2015.       
27>34

hutch

« Reply #350 on: July 31, 2014, 02:39:14 pm »
yeah..I think its a win win deal....

« Reply #351 on: July 31, 2014, 03:01:32 pm »
Miller to Orioles now, per Buster Olney.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #352 on: July 31, 2014, 03:06:23 pm »
Brewers pick up Gerrardo Parra...my how his stock has fallen.
27>34

« Reply #353 on: July 31, 2014, 03:06:34 pm »
A. Cabrera to Nats (for Walters). One of my "favorite" players because I have a friend who absolutely hates the Indians for some unknown reason and insists on referring to him as Ass-dribble Cabrera.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #354 on: July 31, 2014, 03:06:53 pm »
A. Cabrera to Nats (for Walters). One of my "favorite" players because I have a friend who absolutely hates the Indians for some unknown reason and insists on referring to him as Ass-dribble Cabrera.

Zach Walters and some cash....
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 03:09:04 pm by vansmack »
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #355 on: July 31, 2014, 03:08:12 pm »

"Buck Showalter now has about 1,000 left-handers, with the addition of Andrew Miller."
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #356 on: July 31, 2014, 03:09:39 pm »

For Eduardo Rodriguez.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #357 on: July 31, 2014, 03:13:47 pm »
Confirmed: Lester to #Athletics. Gomes to OAK as well for Cespedes

Athletics are paying $650K of Cespedes' salary, but getting back $1.8 million from #RedSox for Lester salary.
27>34

« Reply #358 on: July 31, 2014, 03:16:04 pm »
Confirmed: Lester to #Athletics. Gomes to OAK as well for Cespedes

Athletics are paying $650K of Cespedes' salary, but getting back $1.8 million from #RedSox for Lester salary.
I'm sure there's some CBA nuance you're going to explain to me now but why didn't the Sawx just agree to pay 1.15million of Lester's salary and make things easier?
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #359 on: July 31, 2014, 03:33:41 pm »
I'm sure there's some CBA nuance you're going to explain to me now but why didn't the Sawx just agree to pay 1.15million of Lester's salary and make things easier?

You know I'm already doing the research.  Thus far: Cespedes? contract calls for him to be non-tendered at the end of his deal (if he is not first extended) in order to assure him early free agency, and he therefore is ineligible to receive a qualifying offer following the 2015 season + the compensation pick is valued at $800k so.....

I have no idea what all that means, but I have a spreadsheet open.
27>34