Author Topic: The MLB Thread  (Read 615072 times)

vansmack

Re: The MLB Thread
« Reply #480 on: September 24, 2014, 05:19:41 pm »
Smacks, a hypothetical:

When I first heard the three-way scenario on the MLB Network one night, I thought it was AWESOME!

Then I realized it was basically how they used to decide the NCAA World Series and remembered how shitty that was.  But basically, based on head to head records and division records they seed them 1,2,3.  Team 1 plays Team 2, winner plays Team 3 and that winner moves on.  How it's fair that one team has to win Two Games and one only has to win once I'll never understand, but they can't go on forever.

A four way tie is simple - 1 plays 2, 3 plays 4.  For one spot, winner game one plays the winner of game 2.  For two wildcard spots, the winners of Game One and Game two are the Wild Cards, they each other to move on.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #481 on: September 24, 2014, 05:37:10 pm »
Also, Trout taken out of the game today for undisclosed reasons.  It's hot today so I hope that's all it is, but these are the things that keep me up at night.
27>34

shemptiness

« Reply #482 on: September 24, 2014, 05:42:07 pm »
Also, Trout taken out of the game today for undisclosed reasons.  It's hot today so I hope that's all it is, but these are the things that keep me up at night.

I thought three-way scenarios kept you up at night.

vansmack

« Reply #483 on: September 24, 2014, 05:49:00 pm »
I thought three-way scenarios kept you up at night.

You know you've reached a milestone in your life when you read something like that, get that half smile and think back to how great those days were with pride.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #484 on: September 24, 2014, 06:13:53 pm »
Also, with his final scheduled start complete, Minnesota Twins RHP Phil Hughes has the best single-season strikeout-to-walk ratio IN HISTORY.

27>34

hutch

« Reply #485 on: September 24, 2014, 06:30:30 pm »
Baseball is a team sport but Reggie Jackson is known as Mr. October for a reason and Arod is known as Mr. May for a reason.

hutch

« Reply #486 on: September 24, 2014, 06:31:30 pm »
I think Ichiro is a tremendous player.. heck as I recall one year he got 260 hits! .. I mean he was averaging close to 250 hits a year for a while .. obscene....

I'm just not going to use that fact to take anything away from Jeter....

shemptiness

« Reply #487 on: September 24, 2014, 09:46:41 pm »
Baseball is a team sport but Reggie Jackson is known as Mr. October for a reason and Arod is known as Mr. May for a reason.

Reggie was known as Mr. October because he actually did something in October.  Jeter was on teams that won in October..

hutch

« Reply #488 on: September 24, 2014, 10:36:44 pm »

Reggie was known as Mr. October because he actually did something in October.  Jeter was on teams that won in October..

ah .. I think for a while there Jeter was pretty clutch  but opinions may vary.. I don't really feel like looking up the stats...

anyways, I'm no Jeter fanboy.. I wish he had never announced he was retiring at the end of the season.... I see no need for this farewell tour.... the Gatorade commercial is way over the top

but what is the point? Jeter is a first ballot hall of famer... I mean what are we arguing about here???

He's not a great player? Ichiro is greater than Jeter? There's a ton of other players who have had better careers?

I assume y'all aren't just a bunch of Jeter haters or something..

K8teebug

« Reply #489 on: September 25, 2014, 07:44:03 am »

K8teebug

« Reply #490 on: September 25, 2014, 07:44:33 am »
I should add I don't hate him.  I think he's a respectable player.  But, he's not the second coming.

hutch

« Reply #491 on: September 25, 2014, 08:30:38 am »
I should add I don't hate him.  I think he's a respectable player.  But, he's not the second coming.

well you're a a Yankee hater so I take what you say with some salt...

"respectable"???

come on now!  ;D

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #492 on: September 25, 2014, 09:05:53 am »
I will openly admit, Jeter and Peyton manning are my two most hated athletes. Jeter's personality is just obnoxious.
LVMH

James Ford

« Reply #493 on: September 25, 2014, 09:31:04 am »
Regardless of the steroid use, isn't A-Rod at least as repulsive as Jeter?

I will openly admit, Jeter and Peyton manning are my two most hated athletes. Jeter's personality is just obnoxious.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #494 on: September 25, 2014, 09:58:48 am »
Regardless of the steroid use, isn't A-Rod at least as repulsive as Jeter?

You know, I can't make an objective case for Jeter being more odious than A-Rod, but there's something about Jeter and Peyton's ability to skate on everything that drives me nuts. Jeter is a vain, womanizing, arrogant asshole who has been subpar defensively his entire career, and hasn't been any good in five years. The guy is probably riddled with venereal disease, and yet he's held up like the epitome of class. A-Rod is a cheating, vain, womanizing asshole who is called out on being a cheating, vain womanizing asshole. That doesn't make me "like" A-Rod but I at least feel he's gotten what's coming to him while the baseball media glorifies Jeter and openly weep at his retirement.

Peyton is the most overhyped, accomplish nothing athlete of our generation, and is by all accounts a terrible teammate. He called an All-Star teammate a liquored up idiot on National television. He went 0-4 against his biggest rival in college and instead of any accountability from anyone about that, Tennessee fans openly weep and gnash their teeth to this day that "Peyton Manning's Heisman" was stolen in 1997. He has a losing record in the playoffs all time, usually as a result of his subpar play and turnovers. But that's never the Peyton Manning narrative, its how he's virtually a coach and makes a million decisions on the fly.

I guess I have real issues with people who are Teflon and nothing they do ever sticks to them.
LVMH