Author Topic: The MLB Thread  (Read 615174 times)

hutch

Re: The MLB Thread
« Reply #630 on: October 03, 2014, 12:55:41 am »
these fuckin' west coast teams are going to be the death of me!

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #631 on: October 03, 2014, 06:30:32 am »
it amazes me how dombrowski has all the money in the world to spend on the tigers, but never puts together a remotely competent bullpen

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #632 on: October 03, 2014, 09:10:50 am »
it amazes me how dombrowski has all the money in the world to spend on the tigers, but never puts together a remotely competent bullpen
The crazy thing is, its his stated point of emphasis the last few offseasons. He goes out and spends on it, and players immediately suck when they come to Detroit's pen. Leave Detroit, back to really good. Look at Benoit. Its maddening.

I'd swear there's a gas leak in Detroit's physical bullpen, but it happens on the road too.
LVMH

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #633 on: October 03, 2014, 10:11:18 am »
well, first test of williams' playoff managing is in:

Mark Zuckerman @ZuckermanCSN
#Nats NLDS bench (assuming Zim isn't in lineup): Lobaton, Zimmerman, Frandsen, Espinosa, Schierholtz.
Expand
2m
#Nats NLDS bullpen: Storen, Clippard, Barrett, Thornton, Stammen, Blevins, Soriano, Roark.
Expand
3m
#Nats keep Soriano on NLDS roster, not Detwiler. 12 pitchers. 5-man bench.

at least he left hairston off i guess

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #634 on: October 03, 2014, 10:30:52 am »
Detwiler out, Soriano in? Did not see that one coming.
‼‼?‼‼

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #635 on: October 03, 2014, 10:36:37 am »
i understand looking at his whole season and not just the last month, but that has to be a favor to boras. williams seemed hesitant to even use him in mop up situations so i just cant see what his playoff usage could possibly be

personally i wish theyd taken another infielder, cuz who knows how limited zimmrman will be. not sure who though, since none of the september callup infielders really deserved it

James Ford

« Reply #636 on: October 03, 2014, 10:46:18 am »
I think GM's are reluctant to keep their big money guys off of the roster because doing so makes them look bad. Like the O's with Ubaldo. Ryan Webb=Ross Detwiler and Ubaldo=Soriano.

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #637 on: October 03, 2014, 11:00:39 am »
morse left off sf's lineup, fwiw

i like the guy and he was a blast to watch but all his injuries this year made it obvious the nats trading him was the right move

radley17

« Reply #638 on: October 03, 2014, 11:07:11 am »
Standing room tickets available for todays game as of 5 minutes ago at Nationals site

stevewizzle

« Reply #639 on: October 03, 2014, 11:28:30 am »
I think GM's are reluctant to keep their big money guys off of the roster because doing so makes them look bad. Like the O's with Ubaldo. Ryan Webb=Ross Detwiler and Ubaldo=Soriano.

this makes sense.  i remember 2007 sox inexplicably kept eric gagne on their playoff roster.

vansmack

« Reply #640 on: October 03, 2014, 12:08:29 pm »
I think GM's are reluctant to keep their big money guys off of the roster because doing so makes

Doesn't mean the manager has to play them.

I would love to see Scioscia start Navarro tonight over Hamilton.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #641 on: October 03, 2014, 12:25:32 pm »
smackie must be sweating it...

Funny story.  Those that know me know that I own an exercise bike and would never use it except when there were important sports games on.  I would carry it out to the front room and ride it all game long...

I moved in with my fiancee a while back and the bike didn't make the cut for her tastes (plus we have some in our building gym).  Last night as I'm pacing around the place, sitting on top of the back and arms of furniture, throwing my hat around the room, she asks "where did this come from?"  Remember that exercise bike you made me get rid of?  Well, this is why I owned it.  When I went to get my Louisville Slugger out of the closet for extra innings, she grabbed it and said we'll find something safer for tomorrow.

She's stopping by the sporting goods store today to get me something else to take away the anxiety of watching playoff baseball.  After Game One.     
27>34

ggw

« Reply #642 on: October 03, 2014, 12:29:03 pm »
...fiancee...

The triumph of hope over experience?

vansmack

« Reply #643 on: October 03, 2014, 12:39:24 pm »
The triumph of hope over experience?

I would have been disappointed if you weren't the first to comment.

I did take a number of pages out of your playbook this time around, but didn't follow it to the end.
27>34

imbecile

« Reply #644 on: October 03, 2014, 01:02:32 pm »
Standing room tickets available for todays game as of 5 minutes ago at Nationals site

Boatloads on Stubhub for way below face value.

Now, where do i want to sit..