Author Topic: The MLB Thread  (Read 615011 times)

hutch

Re: The MLB Thread
« Reply #780 on: October 27, 2014, 12:15:14 am »
I have to say I am gutted about Oscar Taveras dying in the Dominican Republic car accident....how crazy the world is... only two weeks ago he hit that huge home run....

vansmack

« Reply #781 on: October 27, 2014, 01:22:11 pm »
boy that MadBum can sure pitch......never seen a guy so calm up there.. he's cool as a cucumber...

I can't remember if I've mentioned this or not, but his contract is ridiculously team friendly.

They have options for him in 2018 and 2019 for $12m.  They're paying him $3.75m this year, $6.75m next year and are paying Lincecum $17m this year and $18m next.  Unbelievable.
27>34

shemptiness

« Reply #782 on: October 27, 2014, 02:30:43 pm »
Boswell continues to beat this drum:

"Since 1982, 10 teams have come home trailing three games to two like the Royals. Eight of them won: in 2011, 2002, 2001, 1991, 1987, 1986, 1985 (Kansas City) and 1982.

But the 1992 Blue Jays and 2003 Marlins were in the Giants? position and won on the road. Odds even out. This run of amazing closeouts at home even when behind ? aided by acts of fate, umpire mistakes and heroics, especially in momentum-turning Game 6s associated with names like David Freese, Randy Johnson, Kirby Puckett, umpire Don Denkinger and Bill Buckner ? may wind down after 32 years of shocking us."

vansmack

« Reply #783 on: October 27, 2014, 02:37:46 pm »

aided by acts of fate, umpire mistakes and heroics, especially in momentum-turning Game 6s

27>34

hutch

« Reply #784 on: October 27, 2014, 02:39:54 pm »
Boswell continues to beat this drum:

"Since 1982, 10 teams have come home trailing three games to two like the Royals. Eight of them won: in 2011, 2002, 2001, 1991, 1987, 1986, 1985 (Kansas City) and 1982.

But the 1992 Blue Jays and 2003 Marlins were in the Giants? position and won on the road. Odds even out. This run of amazing closeouts at home even when behind ? aided by acts of fate, umpire mistakes and heroics, especially in momentum-turning Game 6s associated with names like David Freese, Randy Johnson, Kirby Puckett, umpire Don Denkinger and Bill Buckner ? may wind down after 32 years of shocking us."

Is this what James Ford keeps yapping about?

Obviously either team can win....Peavy and Hudson don't exactly inspire confidence....

But I'd have to go with the Giants due to their experience and Bochy...

But its up for the taking....

Its amazing how little attention the World Series gets.....its almost become vogue to say "I hate baseball"....I hear hosts saying it on cable sports shows now....

Personally I think its been a great October...I've really enjoyed it and am dreading the end..

shemptiness

« Reply #786 on: October 27, 2014, 09:17:51 pm »

He's actually arguing that the team that has the 3-4-5 games has the advantage.  Which makes him the anti-Boswell.  Which means he's not taking facts into consideration.

The Giants will probably win then.  And he'll say he was right all along.

James Ford

« Reply #787 on: October 27, 2014, 09:22:41 pm »
The "3-4-5" team took the ALCS and the NLCS and is one game away from taking the WS. The rest is just ancient history, man.

He's actually arguing that the team that has the 3-4-5 games has the advantage.  Which makes him the anti-Boswell.  Which means he's not taking facts into consideration.

hutch

« Reply #788 on: October 27, 2014, 10:17:16 pm »

gotcha..thanks.

fuck i hate needing him to be right in this particular case....

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #789 on: October 28, 2014, 08:55:15 am »
The rest is just ancient history, man.
Anyone who ever even accidentally walked into a statistics class and sat there for five minutes realizes you're a fucking idiot.

I don't care about this topic at all but good lord don't just be intellectually dishonest. The only data points that matter in the analysis are this season? That's like saying only the last five votes cast should decide a Presidential election.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 09:03:37 am by Julian, Community ORGANIZER »
LVMH

James Ford

« Reply #790 on: October 28, 2014, 09:10:46 am »
Baseball results aint always science.

Thankfully.

The rest is just ancient history, man.
Anyone who ever even accidentally walked into a statistics class and sat there for five minutes realizes you're a fucking idiot.

I don't care about this topic at all but good lord don't just be intellectually dishonest. The only data points that matter in the analysis are this season? That's like saying only the last five votes cast should decide a Presidential election.

stevewizzle

« Reply #791 on: October 28, 2014, 11:51:37 am »

vansmack

« Reply #792 on: October 28, 2014, 04:32:24 pm »
PENCE COFFEE CUP: Our crew ran into Hunter Pence at Starbucks in Kansas City this morning and noticed a message scrawled on his coffee cup. Turns out, Pence said his name was "Champ" when he ordered, but the barista wrote on his cup ?You may be known as Champ, but not here in KC.?

27>34

vansmack

« Reply #793 on: October 28, 2014, 08:09:07 pm »
I used to find him annoying, but now I think I love him:

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/53055/the-marlins-fan-live-and-in-person

?I saved up to, like, buy a house and have a wife and kids, and it just never happened. So I decided a while ago to just go out and make myself happy. I said, ?Why don?t you go out and see in person these games? Why don?t you just go to the Yankees-Red Sox game? Why don?t you go to the Dodgers-Cubs? Why don?t you just go do this stuff??

?So I did it."
27>34

shemptiness

« Reply #794 on: October 29, 2014, 04:30:22 am »
I used to find him annoying, but now I think I love him:

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/53055/the-marlins-fan-live-and-in-person

?I saved up to, like, buy a house and have a wife and kids, and it just never happened. So I decided a while ago to just go out and make myself happy. I said, ?Why don?t you go out and see in person these games? Why don?t you just go to the Yankees-Red Sox game? Why don?t you go to the Dodgers-Cubs? Why don?t you just go do this stuff??

?So I did it."

He's not about seeing these games.  He's about being seen in the front row in his bright orange..