Author Topic: The MLB Thread  (Read 615082 times)

vansmack

Re: The MLB Thread
« Reply #870 on: November 17, 2014, 05:45:06 pm »
you'd think for 325 million he wouldn''t have the opt out... that is what makes me second guess the deal...

The opt out clause is the only reason why I think the deal makes sense for at least one of the parties.

$325m over 13 years with no trade and no opt out clause would have a been a disaster for both parties.  They'd hate each other within the first 5 seasons.

Now it at least makes sense for Stanton to agree to the deal.  Unless the deal is severely backloaded, this is an awful deal for Miami.  And even if it is severely backloaded, there's still a greater than 50% chance this an awful deal for Miami.
27>34

Stillwater

« Reply #871 on: November 17, 2014, 06:56:47 pm »
I'm sorry, I read that as Russell Martin signed for 5 years and $82 million.

vansmack

« Reply #872 on: November 17, 2014, 07:27:30 pm »
I'm sorry, I read that as Russell Martin signed for 5 years and $82 million.

I posted that before and was equally confused.  Then I remembered he was Canadian and it all made more sense....
27>34

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #873 on: November 17, 2014, 07:47:20 pm »
the more i read about the details to the stanton deal the more brilliant it seems from miamis standpoint

their fanbase is a disaster, this deal seems designed to try to win back some fans who (rightly) stopped trusting loria years ago. they get to trumpet the numbers and prove that they were willing to lock up an elite talent, while knowing how high the likelihood of stanton opting out and going to the highest bidder in 5(or 6, ive read conflicting reports) years. when that happens it technically wont be lorias fault, he can paint stanton as greedy and disloyal, and they wont owe him a further penny. the only real risk is if stanton loses it in the next 5 years, in which case of course the marlins remain on the hook anyway. if he keeps playing like hes playing there will certainly be teams throwing money at him when hes 30 and able to hit free agency. thats when the true test of loria and co's commitment to winning will happen

if thats too cynical and loria has suddenly decided to spend money on building a team, they basically have five years to surround giancarlo with enough talent, both on and off the field, to convince him to stay on past the 5 years. even if its not too cynical, loria better hope that 5 years of stanton on the field brings enough fans back that some will even stick around after hes gone.

long story short, we wont know the real value of this deal till that opt out comes into play.

and somewhere bryce harper is high fiving scott boras
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 07:50:23 pm by gaaaaaaaaah »

hutch

« Reply #874 on: November 17, 2014, 08:00:22 pm »

and somewhere bryce harper is high fiving scott boras

bryce has done zilch to command that kind of money.. he's a pretty mediocre player.... terrible fielder and gets injured a lot

all HYPE.... Stanton has the numbers... Harper doesnot

I wish you all would quit it with the Harper hype honestly..

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #875 on: November 17, 2014, 08:03:29 pm »
oh i totally agree. so far id pick stanton over harper any day, as would any reasonable fan and mike rizzo. who knows if harper will eclipse him over the years but right now its not even close.

just saying, this contract will be brought up should the nats engage harper in extension talks

ggw

« Reply #876 on: November 17, 2014, 08:25:34 pm »
Hutch hates Bryce Harper almost as much as Hutch hates America.

hutch

« Reply #877 on: November 17, 2014, 09:02:13 pm »
Hutch hates Bryce Harper almost as much as Hutch hates America.

I don't hate America.. I love it!

Don't think we need to be in a permanent war..

Unfortunately some idiots think that if you don't support useless wars you hate America... same idiots who thought you hated America if you were against Vietnam or Iraq War

I definitely hate Harper though..he is an asshole and a very overrated player.

vansmack

« Reply #878 on: November 17, 2014, 09:18:54 pm »
the more i read about the details to the stanton deal the more brilliant it seems from miamis standpoint

the only real risk is if stanton loses it in the next 5 years, in which case of course the marlins remain on the hook anyway.

Like if that fastball to the face that ended his season last year has any lingering effects?

27>34

shemptiness

« Reply #879 on: November 17, 2014, 09:32:47 pm »

the only real risk is if stanton loses it in the next 5 years, in which case of course the marlins remain on the hook anyway.

Like if that fastball to the face that ended his season last year has any lingering effects?

vansmack

« Reply #880 on: November 17, 2014, 09:36:02 pm »

You're boring dude.

And I'm just going to say this because I know none of you stay up late enough to see it for yourselves:

Mike Trout>Bryce Harper

I'm referring to all 5 tools, plus he's better looking and has better hair.

but harper is like 20 or 19?

harper is great. .hit a huge home run today and legged out a fielder's choice...so far..

I rest my case.  I hope you all watched that first hand tonight.
yeah yeah.. we know you're always right..

you're boring dude.
27>34

hutch

« Reply #881 on: November 17, 2014, 09:53:05 pm »

You're boring dude.

And I'm just going to say this because I know none of you stay up late enough to see it for yourselves:

Mike Trout>Bryce Harper

I'm referring to all 5 tools, plus he's better looking and has better hair.

but harper is like 20 or 19?

harper is great. .hit a huge home run today and legged out a fielder's choice...so far..

I rest my case.  I hope you all watched that first hand tonight.
yeah yeah.. we know you're always right..

you're boring dude.

Yeah I have the benefit of two more seasons!

hutch

« Reply #882 on: November 18, 2014, 09:23:35 am »
EUREKA! I was wrong wrong wrong... Mike Trout is twice the man Bryce Harper will ever be...

for shame..for shame...

vansmack

« Reply #883 on: November 18, 2014, 12:51:50 pm »
The Dodgers are close to trading for SS Alexi Ramirez.  Not sure who they are offering, however.
27>34

imbecile

« Reply #884 on: November 18, 2014, 02:39:31 pm »
Stanton deal keeps getting stranger..

ESPN reporting that the deal is heavily backloaded.  Making $30M over the first three years.  $107M over the first 6 years of the deal.  So, the last 7, when he can opt out, he'll be making $218M.