Author Topic: The MLB Thread  (Read 615657 times)

hutch

Re: The MLB Thread
« Reply #1230 on: April 27, 2015, 06:09:55 pm »
hard to believe that was a good deal for the Angels.... I'd rather just pay him not to play I think...I mean they're going to pay him now to play against them?

I can see the DH being imposed league wide but not because of one or two pitchers getting injured running or batting

the twin problems of lack of offense -baseball losing people- and pitchers blowing out their arms, though, requires different solutions and i'm not sure baseball will do anything

vansmack

« Reply #1231 on: April 27, 2015, 07:21:00 pm »
Brandon McCarthy out for the year for the Dodgers.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1232 on: April 27, 2015, 07:34:29 pm »
hard to believe that was a good deal for the Angels.... I'd rather just pay him not to play I think...I mean they're going to pay him now to play against them?

The only deal worse than the deal out the door was the deal that brought him in the door.

The Players Association wouldn't let the Angels keep him in the minors all season and would file a grievance if they used a spot on the 25 man roster and sat him for three years (not to mention the clubhouse distraction).  There was never any chemistry between Josh and the Angels management, and it's been a problem from day one that kept getting progressively worse.  The final straw was when he waited until February to have his shoulder surgery, to be honest.  The drug relapse the same weekend as his surgery was just icing on the cake that gave the Angels an out. 

They had a deal to send him to the Diamondbacks but Hamilton vetoed it - he wanted to be back in Texas to be near his kids and handle his divorce - which also came out of that surgery/Coke filled weekend.  The Angels had two options: Eat all of the salary and release him or get $13m back from Texas and move him on.  If they kept him, they'd have to play him.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 07:42:40 pm by vansmack »
27>34

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #1233 on: April 27, 2015, 07:47:47 pm »
I hope they do NOT bring the DH to the NL.  On the contrary I hope they get rid of it in the AL.  I am not too fond of gimmick rules in sports.  IMHO pitchers ought to bat and if they gave a damn they would take batting practice to get better at it like all other players.  The fact that pitcher pitch is irrelevant.  Outfielders need to have a good arm to gun down a runner.  If you are going to DH for a pitcher why not just have an entire offensive and defense squad?

The shoot out in the NHL and the penalty kicks in professional kick ball (oops I mean soccer) are similar gimmick rules.  Either play the spot to the end or be OK with the fact that some games will end in a tie.  Some of the best hockey games I have ever watched ended up as a 0-0 tie.

I particularly do not like the shoot outs in the NHL where they mysteriously create an additional point for OT games.  Every regular season game should carry the same weight in the season long standings.  The only reason the NHL did this is so the casual non-fan would watch the games and see an 'exciting' play.  (IOW its all about the money.)
FUKIT

vansmack

« Reply #1234 on: April 27, 2015, 07:59:46 pm »
I hope they do NOT bring the DH to the NL.  On the contrary I hope they get rid of it in the AL. 

It will never leave the American league.  Too much money in DH salaries for the for the Players Association to get rid of it.
27>34

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #1235 on: April 27, 2015, 08:09:16 pm »
I hope they do NOT bring the DH to the NL.  On the contrary I hope they get rid of it in the AL. 

It will never leave the American league.  Too much money in DH salaries for the for the Players Association to get rid of it.

You are absolutely 100% right and most probably it will end up in the NL as well.
FUKIT

hutch

« Reply #1236 on: April 28, 2015, 09:26:08 am »

The Players Association wouldn't let the Angels keep him in the minors all season and would file a grievance if they used a spot on the 25 man roster and sat him for three years (not to mention the clubhouse distraction). 

If they kept him, they'd have to play him.

wow.I had no idea.

I guess then they did the best they could...

hutch

« Reply #1237 on: April 28, 2015, 09:29:00 am »
its just stupid.. if the problem in baseball is lack of offense then make a change so that there is more offense.. not just bring in the DH to the NL

I think they should look at things like the pitchers mound height and distance to the plate from the mound...

I'm more worried about all the pitchers' needing Tommy John surgery

vansmack

« Reply #1238 on: April 28, 2015, 12:51:46 pm »
Kirk Gibson diagnosed with Parkinson's.
27>34

Kubacheck

« Reply #1239 on: April 28, 2015, 04:34:40 pm »
O's-White Sox playing 2pm game tomorrow, CLOSED to the public..... also, upcoming series against Tampa switched to the Trop, but apparently the O's will still be the home team.....

vansmack

« Reply #1240 on: April 28, 2015, 05:05:02 pm »
O's-White Sox playing 2pm game tomorrow, CLOSED to the public..... also, upcoming series against Tampa switched to the Trop, but apparently the O's will still be the home team.....

Tomorrow's game will be good practice for playing at the Trop, which is empty on a regualr basis.

On the plus side, the O's get the revenue, though it won't be much.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 05:08:33 pm by vansmack »
27>34

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #1241 on: May 11, 2015, 09:46:02 am »
Brad Ausmus is fucking terrible.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #1242 on: May 13, 2015, 06:04:56 pm »
Halo's extend Huston Street, 2 years/$18m with an option for 2018.
27>34

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #1243 on: May 16, 2015, 02:32:47 pm »
I tuned in literally 2 seconds before Miggy's 400th HR. So glad I caught it. I know, I know "HR totals post steroid era". . . It's still real to me, goddamnit!
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #1244 on: May 16, 2015, 09:21:37 pm »
Kscey Musgraves? The Jacksons? An Etch a Sketch?  A cowboy hat? A retro lunch box?  A DJ kitty kat face bag? I'm going to go with the Rays having the best promo schedule.

http://tampabay.rays.mlb.com/schedule/promotions.jsp?c_id=tb