Author Topic: META: Can we have a serious discussion about shutting down Just Announced?  (Read 31130 times)

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
This thing is such a drain on our community, its time someone said it. What a wildly, wildly disproportionate amount of posts are spent in a thread that in no way fosters discussion or interaction among our community and, in fact, requires ancillary Commentary threads to ensure people don't have meaningful posts back and forth with each other. And its basically, at this point, 4 or 5 people posting a bunch of show announcements for concerts no one would even consider seeing. These people could be posting in higher-value threads and having discussions -- and making memories -- instead of racking up astronomical post counts on nothing.

I ask you all sincerely, when was the last HoF-caliber moment in Just Announced? The last fight? The last day-long bull session? Never. Why are we still floating this thing?
LVMH

James Ford

This:

And its basically, at this point, 4 or 5 people posting a bunch of show announcements for concerts no one would even consider seeing.

This thing is such a drain on our community, its time someone said it. What a wildly, wildly disproportionate amount of posts are spent in a thread that in no way fosters discussion or interaction among our community and, in fact, requires ancillary Commentary threads to ensure people don't have meaningful posts back and forth with each other. And its basically, at this point, 4 or 5 people posting a bunch of show announcements for concerts no one would even consider seeing. These people could be posting in higher-value threads and having discussions -- and making memories -- instead of racking up astronomical post counts on nothing.

I ask you all sincerely, when was the last HoF-caliber moment in Just Announced? The last fight? The last day-long bull session? Never. Why are we still floating this thing?

atomic

This:

And its basically, at this point, 4 or 5 people posting a bunch of show announcements for concerts no one would even consider seeing.

Actually it helped me to find the Gene Clark Tribute show and the Arcade Fire show.  Really, the just announced thread is the reason I come to the forum.  Posting in other forums is just a way to kill time before the next just announced post occurs.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
I come to see all the trolls bait each other into discussing nonsense. ^^^

Yada

Admittedly, the Just Announced post is the reason I started coming to this board many years ago...

K8teebug

I check it all the time.  If people would save their major rants for the commentary section, it could be a just announced thread yet again.

Admittedly, the Just Announced post is the reason I started coming to this board many years ago...
That's what "they" want you to believe. What are you going to remember a decade from now? The energetic discussions about life we had? The fierce debates over personal passions? Rhett calling that one girl a porky midget? ... OR... a dry recitation of Baltimore noise-rock house shows provided with no commentary or discussion thereof?

There have been a lot of great moments in this community. None of them took place in Just Announced. Are we a society or are we ShowListDC? (No offense intended to ShowListDC.)
LVMH

azaghal1981

Are you trying to say that people don't care about the history of Shitstains?
احمد

I think, with all due respect, you'd be a more valuable member of this community if instead of telling us where the Shitstains are playing, you would call another member a Shitstain in a way that fosters an impassioned discussion of your respective views on a matter and leads to a greater sense of community among us all.
LVMH

James Ford

In his defense, he's done his share or calling me some rather un-nice names. I'd say he flings shit as well as listening to shit (music).

I think, with all due respect, you'd be a more valuable member of this community if instead of telling us where the Shitstains are playing, you would call another member a Shitstain in a way that fosters an impassioned discussion of your respective views on a matter and leads to a greater sense of community among us all.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 03:21:33 pm by James Ford »

Re: META: Can we have a serious discussion about shutting down Just Announced?
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 03:21:22 pm »
In his defense, he's done his share or calling me some rather un-nice names.
I wasn't trying to imply he didn't have an ability to be an asset to our community. The siren song of Just Announced is just too great and it lulls too many potentially-productive members of our society into spending their entire boardie career being a de facto event calendar.
LVMH

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 03:35:23 pm »
The Just Announced thread is pretty much the only reason I signed up for this message board and continue to post here. Do away with all the threads and I'd be fine. There's a Commentary thread where all that discussion SHOULD go in. I try not to intervene with too many comments, I'd appreciate just show announcements in there, but what else can I do. I'm just a forum member.
‼‼?‼‼

James Ford

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 03:52:29 pm »
I always thought you were here solely to share your insightful and often witty local professional sports commentary.

The Just Announced thread is pretty much the only reason I signed up for this message board and continue to post here. Do away with all the threads and I'd be fine. There's a Commentary thread where all that discussion SHOULD go in. I try not to intervene with too many comments, I'd appreciate just show announcements in there, but what else can I do. I'm just a forum member.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 04:10:03 pm »
shut . . . up

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 04:19:56 pm »
I check it all the time.  If people would save their major rants for the commentary section, it could be a just announced thread yet again.

I agree...I really like the JA thread, but wish the commentary on every post went on the other thread
slack