Author Topic: SPOILER WARNING: Prestige Television Discussion  (Read 612536 times)

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
Re: SPOILER WARNING: Prestige Television Discussion
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 05:45:00 pm »
I like Archer too.
‼‼?‼‼

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 05:45:13 pm »
As I will pay for 100% of my daughter's undergrad education.

I'm mostly in complete agreement with you Brian but want to say that my parents (or in-laws) haven't paid for a dime of anything since I graduated from college 25 years ago. When I moved in with them for a year after grad school, my dad charged me rent. And my wife's parents haven't paid for anything of hers since she moved out of the house when she was 17.

So don't be going and saying MY parents paid for everything!

Your parents paid for your college? Spoiled you were.

Someone paying for your college makes you weak.
You are such a tool.

Sounds like you were weak.  I paid my for own college and it didn't hold me back.  It made me choose a field and a college where I would get high returns for my investment.  Graduated with no student loans and I was making 77k a year out of college. 

A well compensated tool!

stevewizzle

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 05:47:30 pm »
As I will pay for 100% of my daughter's undergrad education which I cannot somehow manage to get paid by her through student loans and grants which she will pay off slowly with high interest rates and bleak employment opportunities until she is 35.

I'm mostly in complete agreement with you Brian but want to say that my parents (or in-laws) haven't paid for a dime of anything since I graduated from college 25 years ago. When I moved in with them for a year after grad school, my dad charged me rent. And my wife's parents haven't paid for anything of hers since she moved out of the house when she was 17.

FTFY

atomic

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 05:48:37 pm »

You are such a tool.

Sounds like you were weak.  I paid my for own college and it didn't hold me back.  It made me choose a field and a college where I would get high returns for my investment.  Graduated with no student loans and I was making 77k a year out of college. 

A well compensated tool!

Serioulsy, I would make any children pay at least 1/3 of their college education. And not using student loans either.  If you don't pay for part of it you won't choose your college or your field wisely.   You aren't helping your children by paying for everything.  They could go off and do something stupid like get a degree in philosphy at some expensive private school  

stevewizzle

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 05:50:33 pm »

You are such a tool.

i've had this argument with you before and i'm not gonna have it again, but you're completely out of touch with what college costs now and you're comparing apples to oranges.  most people paid for college out of pocket who are 50 years old or older.  nearly no one paid for college out of pocket who is 30 years or younger.

atomic

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2014, 05:54:36 pm »

You are such a tool.

i've had this argument with you before and i'm not gonna have it again, but you're completely out of touch with what college costs now and you're comparing apples to oranges.  most people paid for college out of pocket who are 50 years old or older.  nearly no one paid for college out of pocket who is 30 years or younger.

Actually you could go to Towson University and pay $8,342 a year.  I don't see how that is not doable out of pocket.  Full time during the summer and working 4 days a week during the year.  I worked 5 days a week and attended full-time.  I had either all my classes on Tuesday and Thursday and Monday and Wednesday nights.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2014, 06:01:17 pm »

Actually you could go to Towson University and pay $8,342 a year.  I don't see how that is not doable out of pocket.  Full time during the summer and working 4 days a week during the year.  I worked 5 days a week and attended full-time.  I had either all my classes on Tuesday and Thursday and Monday and Wednesday nights.
I'd be surprised if that amount includes anything beyond tuition. 
That leaves housing.  Meals.  Books.  Probably another 8 or 9k at least. 

Assuming a kid isn't living at home college is basically about 20k a year minimum.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2014, 06:05:52 pm »

Serioulsy, I would make any children pay at least 1/3 of their college education. And not using student loans either.  If you don't pay for part of it you won't choose your college or your field wisely.   You aren't helping your children by paying for everything.  They could go off and do something stupid like get a degree in philosphy at some expensive private school  

I'm not taking atomic's side in this, but college is so horribly overpriced (like a ticket to see Paul Simon...and STING!) with regards to "elite" schools.  The "a college education has never been more expensive and worthless at the same time" argument may be true.  It may look better on a resume (which is whatever the educational term for "racist" is) but is a Georgetown education really that much better than Maryland education?  Do they impart different knowledge?  The buffet's better?

I like Archer too.

And I'm a hypocrite for calling Lena Dunham "fat" (which she really isn't.  I just don't like her) and yet totally lusting after this:

She's like, my dream woman.

Brian

stevewizzle

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2014, 06:06:55 pm »

You are such a tool.

Actually you could go to Towson University and pay $8,342* a year.  I don't see how that is not doable out of pocket.  Full time during the summer and working 4 days a week during the year.  I worked 5 days a week and attended full-time.  I had either all my classes on Tuesday and Thursday and Monday and Wednesday nights.

*books, rent, food, computer, car, car insurance, health insurance, gas, utilities, etc not included. costs based on in-state tuition only. quality of educatio may vary depending on your degree.

i do admit, towson is affordable, and it could be done by some. but to assume that it works like that across the board is simply ridiculous.

edit: mostly a repeat of chaz's response. i thought brian wallaces archer post was the "warning" i got :)

atomic

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2014, 06:11:05 pm »

I'd be surprised if that amount includes anything beyond tuition. 
That leaves housing.  Meals.  Books.  Probably another 8 or 9k at least. 

Assuming a kid isn't living at home college is basically about 20k a year minimum.

So isn't 20k a year easy enough to make.  Get a job as a waiter.  I worked at a grocery store my first couple of years of college and made probably 12k a year back then. Also worked at a warehouse over the summer in 1984 making 9 bucks an hour driving a forklift as a second job at night.  It is easy to do if you set your mind to it and have a goal.  And it is more rewarding. 

atomic

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2014, 06:13:13 pm »

I'm not taking atomic's side in this, but college is so horribly overpriced (like a ticket to see Paul Simon...and STING!) with regards to "elite" schools.  The "a college education has never been more expensive and worthless at the same time" argument may be true.  It may look better on a resume (which is whatever the educational term for "racist" is) but is a Georgetown education really that much better than Maryland education?  Do they impart different knowledge?  The buffet's better?

I like Archer too.

And I'm a hypocrite for calling Lena Dunham "fat" (which she really isn't.  I just don't like her) and yet totally lusting after this:

She's like, my dream woman.

Brian

That is because she is so slutty.   

atomic

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2014, 07:30:12 pm »
How I met your mother is back on tonight.  Tonight is actually a good night to be watching TV.

James Ford

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2014, 08:31:14 pm »
A. Between UVA, William and Mary and Va Tech, we have three of the top 75 schools right here in VA. She will go to a state school...unless somehow a top notch private school is cheaper.

B. She will be strongly encouraged to major in something useful and practical.

You are such a tool.

A well compensated tool!

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2014, 09:16:23 pm »
So I guess a lot of people are bent outta shape over the scene where Adam and Shosh go for a hike and Hannah elects to pay in the leaves and listen to This American Life. Some say it sums up what they hate about the show/the Hannah character and others say it was a tongue in cheek wink to critics who find the shoe indulgent. Thoughts?
LVMH

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2014, 10:15:40 pm »
Girls was deleted from our DVR
T.Rex