Author Topic: SPOILER WARNING: Prestige Television Discussion  (Read 612557 times)

atomic

Re: SPOILER WARNING: Prestige Television Discussion
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2014, 01:43:32 pm »
That's a good question. A question I wish more of my actual offline friends and family would ask (not so that I could give them some kind of superior than thou answer, but because it's a genuine question), a question that I'd be happy to answer if we ever met in person. But I don't want to bore Hutch with the answer. Hutch is probably right, let's stick with Mick and Keith and Lena Dunham's boobs.

Suffice it to say it was a right enough decision that we're happy with our decision but not a right enough decision such that we never question it.

So I don't get that beer until my daughter is 22? ;)

We have two professionally working parents, chose to have only one kid, I drive a 20 year old car, we chose to buy a house in an un-hip not overly expensive suburb well outside of DC, we don't have nice "stuff" in our house, we started our 529 savings before our daughter was one, we put more than we need to into the account. Trust me, we still be able to afford to pay for everything.

A. Between UVA, William and Mary and Va Tech, we have three of the top 75 schools right here in VA. She will go to a state school...unless somehow a top notch private school is cheaper.

B. She will be strongly encouraged to major in something useful and practical.

one of those schools has plenty of useful and practical majors ;)

student loans will be a practical option, especially when you realize your child wants to live with their best friends off-campus and rent is $500 a month (financial curveball!), or they want to take five years instead of four (common, these days), or they want to do any of the other million dumb things college students do that cost a shit-ton of money.  

while i find it sincere that you and chaz want to pay 100%, my parents said the same thing too, and my friends parents, and all my peers in school. my experience is it rarely happens. it's nice that your parents did that for you, but college is stupid expensive now, even in-state. i started school 8 years ago, and in that eight years, tuition increased 9k from where i started. 9k! when you're staring down 100k worth of expenses, you'll come to your senses and say "okay, i guess 20k in student loans for my child is reasonable". and you can tell me i'm full of shit, because honestly who am i to judge someone else's goals or aspirations, but consider finding some practical middle ground between where you are now and atomic's "let the child pay it all" as that day approaches and you begin to realize the actual costs and what your financial options are. and if you do manage to pay 100%, good on you and i'll buy you a beer next time i see you.

Why did you decide to have only one kid?  Was it because of your age?

I guess I wouldn't have asked but you seem to bring it up a bunch.  It is pretty personal but when you spout off stuff like having children is the meaning of life and such stuff I think that is why it is relevant enough to ask on the forum.  I think we should move this discussion to another thread.  This should be about television.

James Ford

« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2014, 01:46:11 pm »
So what kind of parents do you think the women on Girls would make?

That's a good question. A question I wish more of my actual offline friends and family would ask (not so that I could give them some kind of superior than thou answer, but because it's a genuine question), a question that I'd be happy to answer if we ever met in person. But I don't want to bore Hutch with the answer. Hutch is probably right, let's stick with Mick and Keith and Lena Dunham's boobs.

Suffice it to say it was a right enough decision that we're happy with our decision but not a right enough decision such that we never question it.

So I don't get that beer until my daughter is 22? ;)

We have two professionally working parents, chose to have only one kid, I drive a 20 year old car, we chose to buy a house in an un-hip not overly expensive suburb well outside of DC, we don't have nice "stuff" in our house, we started our 529 savings before our daughter was one, we put more than we need to into the account. Trust me, we still be able to afford to pay for everything.

A. Between UVA, William and Mary and Va Tech, we have three of the top 75 schools right here in VA. She will go to a state school...unless somehow a top notch private school is cheaper.

B. She will be strongly encouraged to major in something useful and practical.

one of those schools has plenty of useful and practical majors ;)

student loans will be a practical option, especially when you realize your child wants to live with their best friends off-campus and rent is $500 a month (financial curveball!), or they want to take five years instead of four (common, these days), or they want to do any of the other million dumb things college students do that cost a shit-ton of money.  

while i find it sincere that you and chaz want to pay 100%, my parents said the same thing too, and my friends parents, and all my peers in school. my experience is it rarely happens. it's nice that your parents did that for you, but college is stupid expensive now, even in-state. i started school 8 years ago, and in that eight years, tuition increased 9k from where i started. 9k! when you're staring down 100k worth of expenses, you'll come to your senses and say "okay, i guess 20k in student loans for my child is reasonable". and you can tell me i'm full of shit, because honestly who am i to judge someone else's goals or aspirations, but consider finding some practical middle ground between where you are now and atomic's "let the child pay it all" as that day approaches and you begin to realize the actual costs and what your financial options are. and if you do manage to pay 100%, good on you and i'll buy you a beer next time i see you.

Why did you decide to have only one kid?  Was it because of your age?

I guess I wouldn't have asked but you seem to bring it up a bunch.  It is pretty personal but when you spout off stuff like having children is the meaning of life and such stuff I think that is why it is relevant enough to ask on the forum.  I think we should move this discussion to another thread.  This should be about television.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2014, 02:15:01 pm »
gay people dont have kids.  gay people have better jobs.  gay people are more creative.  gay people have all the money.  gay people rule the world.

atomic

« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2014, 02:17:35 pm »
gay people dont have kids.  gay people have better jobs.  gay people are more creative.  gay people have all the money.  gay people rule the world.

There are plenty of gay people that have children.  I used to live next to a gay guy who had 3 daughters and was previously married to a woman. 

James Ford

« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2014, 02:19:14 pm »
If gay people rule the world, why is there such anti-gay discrimination in the world? Or is that just an idea fabricated by gays who rule the world to garner more sympathy?

Feel free to move this to the random thoughts thread.

K8teebug

« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2014, 02:27:13 pm »

I'm straight and have no desire for kids whatsoever.

vansmack

« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2014, 02:47:48 pm »
I rewatch the entire run of The O.C. and The Hills (up until LC leaves) EVERY YEAR.

Even the "Oliver" story line?
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2014, 02:50:00 pm »
personally i think i would tell my kid to learn a foreign language and find a way in to study in europe or something...

Learn Mandarin.

there's no way a college education is worth what its costing...

Private college.  A state education is still affordable in many parts of the nation.

27>34

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2014, 02:55:35 pm »
i just wanted to get this thread back onto television.  gay people rule television.

atomic

« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2014, 02:56:35 pm »
What about private schools for primary education.  That has to be better than public school.  I have all these private schools around where I live. Park School.  Gilmore. They look expensive.  But hey the kid is worth it right?

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2014, 03:06:24 pm »
What about private schools for primary education.  That has to be better than public school.  I have all these private schools around where I live. Park School.  Gilmore. They look expensive.  But hey the kid is worth it right?
I'd rather save for college than pay for private schooling for my kids.
Some public schools are better than others for sure.  Some totally suck.  But I think for young kids, the most important aspect of a child's education is their parents.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2014, 03:08:16 pm »

For now!  But I'm telling you, the more equality you gain, the more super powers you will lose.  Five years from now you won't be able to make great appetizers...your taste in dance music will suck....you won't be able to pick out the best Oscar dresses....

Brian Wallace
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 03:17:32 pm by Brian_Wallace »

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2014, 03:09:52 pm »

For now!  But I'm telling you, the more equality you gain, the more super powers you will lose.  Five years from now your won't be able to make great appetizers...your taste in dance music will suck....you won't be able to pick out the best Oscar dresses....

Brian Wallace

I wish this board had a 'like' feature.

Bravo to  you on this post.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2014, 03:13:44 pm »
dont you dare talk about my appetizers.

i am gay and i like cats