Author Topic: SPOILER WARNING: Prestige Television Discussion  (Read 612492 times)

James Ford

Re: SPOILER WARNING: Prestige Television Discussion
« Reply #270 on: May 19, 2014, 12:59:19 pm »
I like the idea of a sexual fantasies thread.  Starbucks and Michigan athletics, not so much.

I don't think atomic likes comic books. 

okay, I don't take a shit in the Orioles thread or the soccer thread. We can't just randomly decide that threads aren't about their stated purpose because one asshole doesn't like it, it's chaos. How about I decide just announced should really be about Starbucks and sexual fantasies and University of Michigan athletics? I think Hey Seth shouldnt be about requests for Seth, I think it should be about pruning and topiaries and how to build a greenhouse. How does that sound?

James Ford

« Reply #271 on: May 19, 2014, 01:01:42 pm »
Can we put this bad grammar sentence into the board hall of fame thread?

I, along with any other person with an IQ above 80, does not want to sit here and read analysis of big bang theory or other extremely broad comedies that - while entertaining - are devoid of any critical thinking. Those are not shows made for critical review or serious discussion of plot points.

okay, I don't take a shit in the Orioles thread or the soccer thread. We can't just randomly decide that threads aren't about their stated purpose because one asshole doesn't like it, it's chaos. How about I decide just announced should really be about Starbucks and sexual fantasies and University of Michigan athletics? I think Hey Seth shouldnt be about requests for Seth, I think it should be about pruning and topiaries and how to build a greenhouse. How does that sound?

Just because you think some stupid show is prestigious doesn't mean anyone else does.  TV shows are TV shows.  Get over yourself. 
"Prestige television" is not my term. As I've explained in this thread at least once a month, it is an industry-standard term on websites such as AV club or any other place that reviews television. It refers to stylistic dramas with a few exceptions for shows like girls which are highly stylized dramas masquerading as comedies.

I, along with any other person with an IQ above 80, does not want to sit here and read analysis of big bang theory or other extremely broad comedies that - while entertaining - are devoid of any critical thinking. Those are not shows made for critical review or serious discussion of plot points. If you want to start an Idiots Jerking Off Over How Anti-Establishment South Park Is thread of inanities, go ahead.

Someone cannot go "I think this thread is stupid so I'm going to hijack it because it would be better if it was about ______ instead" and at the same time argue "Just Announced" or some other thread is sacred and we must stay fervently ontopic. It's an intellectual devoid, hypocritical, borderline narcissistic argument. If you don't like this thread, or any thread, don't read it. Start another.

atomic

« Reply #272 on: May 19, 2014, 01:33:05 pm »
I like the idea of a sexual fantasies thread.  Starbucks and Michigan athletics, not so much.

I don't think atomic likes comic books. 

I agree with you on that.  Michigan Atheletics shouldn't be discussed at all on here as no one would care.  Starbucks can go in random thoughts.

atomic

« Reply #273 on: May 19, 2014, 01:41:22 pm »
If the library your wife works at doesn't use the Dewey Decimal system anymore for non-fiction and it's (presumably) located in an English speaking country, it's a major, major outlier.

Not really as Dewey is dying pretty quickly. And as you have no clue about what you are taling about on this I assume you have no idea what you are talking about with regards to "Prestige Television" or "Beach Books" and are just talking out your ass on everything. 

Also, I think if you became moderator you would probably ban every forum member eventually including Seth.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 01:44:50 pm by atomic »

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #274 on: May 19, 2014, 01:52:27 pm »
If the library your wife works at doesn't use the Dewey Decimal system anymore for non-fiction and it's (presumably) located in an English speaking country, it's a major, major outlier.

Not really as Dewey is dying pretty quickly. And as you have no clue about what you are taling about on this I assume you have no idea what you are talking about with regards to "Prestige Television" or "Beach Books" and are just talking out your ass on everything. 

Also, I think if you became moderator you would probably ban every forum member eventually including Seth.
No, I'd just ban you.

If you have any evidence to the contrary that the overwhelming majority of libraries in America use Dewey for non-fiction, I'd love to see it. You don't, though, because well over 90% of libraries in this country still do as your wife will tell you. If she actually works in a library. Or if she's even real.

Keep trolling, troll.
LVMH

atomic

« Reply #275 on: May 19, 2014, 02:09:53 pm »

No, I'd just ban you.

If you have any evidence to the contrary that the overwhelming majority of libraries in America use Dewey for non-fiction, I'd love to see it. You don't, though, because well over 90% of libraries in this country still do as your wife will tell you. If she actually works in a library. Or if she's even real.

Keep trolling, troll.

Baltimore, Chicago, and Boston Library systems use the Library of Congress System.  Many other libraries use BISAC. You are the troll.  Now you are doubting I have a wife?  That is hilarious.  If I didn't have a wife I wouldn't be spending my time on a message board and I wouldn't be watching  TV.

You pointed out that my wife hasn't discussed the Dewey Decimal system with me and yet she has.  I don't know what further point you are trying to make.  She discusses Librarby stuff with me all the time.  Women like to talk about their jobs.   
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 02:12:42 pm by atomic »

Three isolated examples do not a consensus make. Again, I ask for one study/report that shows a majority of US libraries have moved away from Dewey for non-fiction. I'll wait.

My point is that the mere fact your "wife" hasn't mentioned the term "beach fiction" or "beach novel," does not mean the term isn't widely used. I once dated a dentist. She talked about her job frequently. That did not mean I was 100% knowledgable about dentistry simply thru osmosis. Similarly, there may be terms used in literary circles or a library that you are unaware of, despite the fact you may or may not be married to a librarian.
LVMH

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
Julian your entire persona has crumbled

atomic

Three isolated examples do not a consensus make. Again, I ask for one study/report that shows a majority of US libraries have moved away from Dewey for non-fiction. I'll wait.

My point is that the mere fact your "wife" hasn't mentioned the term "beach fiction" or "beach novel," does not mean the term isn't widely used. I once dated a dentist. She talked about her job frequently. That did not mean I was 100% knowledgable about dentistry simply thru osmosis. Similarly, there may be terms used in literary circles or a library that you are unaware of, despite the fact you may or may not be married to a librarian.

Let me guess you are single now.  What a suprise.  Anyway I guess it is more fun for you to argue that I don't have a wife than to talk about the "How I met your mother" finale on a thread about TV.  

atomic

I am guessing if I make a general TV thread no one will post in this one anymore.  Seems pointless to have two TV threads.  But I guess that is the steps we have to take. 

James Ford

Why, because he once dated a dentist?

I wonder if it is my dentist. He's a pretty swell guy.

I think it would be easier to absorb library stuff easier than it would be to absorb dental stuff. But maybe that's just me.

Let me guess you are single now.  What a suprise.  Anyway I guess it is more fun for you to argue that I don't have a wife than to talk about the "How I met your mother" finale on a thread about TV.  

I like how you manage, in one page of one thread, to simultaneously claim that if you were single you'd be doing much more fun things than you are now and also to call a non-married person a loser because they're not married. Which is it?

I think as often as you are caught in just complete fabrications and lies, I see no reason for anyone to assume anything you say it face value. You might not be married. You might not be a man. You might be Miss P. You might be some kids MFA project. Who knows? You go out of your way to reveal no confirmable information about yourself or to ever meet anyone. Why would anyone treat you with credulity?
LVMH

Yada

My dentist wears jean textured scrubs... walkie would love him.

Let me clarify: she was a trust fund dentist who was a master of saberage.
LVMH

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
Let me clarify: she was a trust fund dentist who was a master of saberage.
I didn't even know about the dentist thing until now.