Author Topic: SPOILER WARNING: Prestige Television Discussion  (Read 612614 times)

killsaly

I just read a synopsis on it (I do not have cable or satellite so I do not always hear about new shows) and it sounds interesting.  I also want to check out the Killing.
Kosmo also approves of The Bridge, I think.

The Killing is a really frustrating show. It does alot of things "right" as far as cinematography and decent acting but the show is horrifically paced. They take a story that was originally done in 10 episodes in Denmark or wherever and flush it out to 2 12-episode seasons by turning the entire thing into a huge stream of non-sequitor red herrings EVERY EPISODE and then finally cap the entire thing off with an out-of-left field new ending that strains credulity to say the least. I recall internet rage from alot of places towards the first season finale. By the end of season 2, I literally did not care who killed Rosie.
I have yet to start the Bridge. But I did start the Killing, and have enjoyed it so far (I am about 8 episodes deep right now).  By the way, they have four seasons now (13, 13, 10, and 6 episodes each). 

« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 01:38:24 pm by killsaly »

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: SPOILER WARNING: Prestige Television Discussion
« Reply #676 on: May 17, 2015, 02:43:10 pm »
Outlander has quite possibly one of the most evil sadistic characters on TV in Black Jack Randall

T.Rex

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #677 on: May 19, 2015, 09:43:50 am »
This season of GoT has been pretty boring.
‼‼?‼‼

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
By the way, they have four seasons now (13, 13, 10, and 6 episodes each). 
I actually thought season 4 was the best. Very compact, no red-herring bullshittery.
LVMH

Got Haggis?

« Reply #679 on: May 19, 2015, 10:53:42 am »
This season of GoT has been pretty boring.

i think its been ok...except for sundays sand snakes fight scene, which was terrible..probably the worst looking thing the series has put out

K8teebug

« Reply #680 on: May 19, 2015, 03:21:31 pm »
Book 4 is the most boring book. They're working with boooooring stuff this season.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #681 on: May 19, 2015, 04:28:31 pm »
"The weather is starting to turn in the north" OMG when is Winter fucking coming lol
‼‼?‼‼

killsaly

By the way, they have four seasons now (13, 13, 10, and 6 episodes each). 
I actually thought season 4 was the best. Very compact, no red-herring bullshittery.

^ What I think about every time that I hear that
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 08:25:03 pm by killsaly »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #683 on: May 20, 2015, 09:28:03 pm »
so i was listening to NPR last night, and they had a panel discussion about the end of the current TV season.  one of the panelist (TV critic for the NYT or some much) said, i kid you not, "I believe that the final episode of Mad Men marks the end of the era of prestige television".

so i guess after Mad Men ends, we'll need to shut down this thread?  can't be living in the past, folks.
<sig>

killsaly

« Reply #684 on: May 20, 2015, 09:50:44 pm »
I thought the AV Club was the source of what was Prestige TV?.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #685 on: May 20, 2015, 09:54:41 pm »
so i was listening to NPR last night, and they had a panel discussion about the end of the current TV season.  one of the panelist (TV critic for the NYT or some much) said, i kid you not, "I believe that the final episode of Mad Men marks the end of the era of prestige television".

so i guess after Mad Men ends, we'll need to shut down this thread?  can't be living in the past, folks.

<wanders of in search of Fortitude or Wolf Hall animated gifs>
T.Rex

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #686 on: May 21, 2015, 08:53:25 am »

Well, three things:

(1) Mad Men has already ended.
(2) While Mad Men ending might, ostensibly, end a certain era of "prestige television," that type of program is probably at peak popularity and networks are racing to create more of that style of program, as Kosmo alluded to in his comments.
(3) The idea of this messageboard consciously making efforts to not live in the past is so funny I nearly killed myself laughing. You understand there's an entire weekly thread where people masturbate furiously to the thought of concerts they saw that week XX-number of years ago, right?
LVMH

K8teebug

« Reply #687 on: May 21, 2015, 09:24:21 am »
Mad Men is not the end all be all of television. I liked it, and thought it was beautifully filmed, but there are better shows. I've never understood the gushing.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #688 on: May 21, 2015, 09:39:15 am »
(3) The idea of this messageboard consciously making efforts to not live in the past is so funny I nearly killed myself laughing. You understand there's an entire weekly thread where people masturbate furiously to the thought of concerts they saw that week XX-number of years ago, right?

well at least someone got my joke...
<sig>

« Reply #689 on: May 21, 2015, 09:44:20 am »
slack