Author Topic: SPOILER WARNING: Prestige Television Discussion  (Read 611751 times)

Re: SPOILER WARNING: Prestige Television Discussion
« Reply #1035 on: September 02, 2016, 02:06:26 pm »
so anyone looking forward to The Get Down
Finally caught episode 1
I liked it....little campy, but a fun watch and fantastic soundtrack
slack

vansmack

« Reply #1036 on: September 02, 2016, 02:24:41 pm »
Lastly, I think the end of Episode 3 is in my Pantheon of Great TV Moments.
Refresh my memory? The Barb at the pool scene?

EDIT: NVM, you mean the Christmas lights. Yes, agreed.

That, and add the body being fished out of the water with Peter Gabriel's version of Heroes on in the back ground, the wall, her running into Jonathan's arms with the lights in the background....

Hair raising and I couldn't take my eyes off it.   

EDIT: I didn't realize it at the time, but that was Directed by Shawn Levy and makes so much sense.  This quote form the brothers explains both why I loved 3 and thought 7 and 8 felt rushed.  Because they were... 

"The original plan was for us to direct all the episodes this season. Alas, we got a little ahead of ourselves, and by the time production wrapped on the first two chapters, we needed additional time to write the final two episodes of the series. If there was ever a time when we were overwhelmed, this was it. We were editing the first two episodes, prepping episodes 5 and 6, all while writing scripts for episodes 7 and 8. We didn?t have a nervous breakdown, not exactly, but one of us did accidently break a cell phone and spill water on his computer. Just when things were becoming really unmanageable, our producer Shawn Levy swooped in like Superman and took over the directing reigns for episodes 3 and 4. "

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/17/stranger-things-duffer-brothers-episode-3
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 02:29:19 pm by vansmack »
27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1037 on: September 02, 2016, 02:30:26 pm »
Yup total campy fun on the get down... It much more enjoyable than vinyl which I slogged my way through, how did people in the record biz ever make it out alive with all those drugs.. And I enjoyed the way real life people were presented in it verses vinyl.. It was amazing how one record company interacted with so many well known 70s acts
T.Rex

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #1038 on: September 02, 2016, 02:35:47 pm »
Yup total campy fun on the get down... It much more enjoyable than vinyl which I slogged my way through, how did people in the record biz ever make it out alive with all those drugs.. And I enjoyed the way real life people were presented in it verses vinyl.. It was amazing how one record company interacted with so many well known 70s acts
TAN to this but the final episode of Roadies (which is almost assuredly getting cancelled according to Deadline) was one of the most jaw-droppingly idiotic things I've ever seen. I keep giving these "shows about music" a try but Vinyl and Roadies were two of the worst things I saw all year.
LVMH

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #1039 on: September 02, 2016, 02:37:17 pm »
Hearing mixed things on The Get Down, passed on the first episode when I saw the movie length run time, but will delve into sometime over the long weekend. Excited for Narcos season 2 as well! Wonder how they'll keep it intriguing after Pablo dies.
‼‼?‼‼

« Reply #1040 on: September 02, 2016, 02:38:33 pm »
Excited for Narcos season 2 as well! Wonder how they'll keep it intriguing after Pablo dies.
The first season of that was great and I binged it in a weekend. I would do the same starting tonite for season 2 but with the College Footballgasm upon us, I will probably not get to it for a few weeks.
LVMH

« Reply #1041 on: September 02, 2016, 02:48:38 pm »
I'm going to wax poetic about the awfulness of Roadies for a bit. Feel free to skip even more than you might usually skip my ramblings. The obvious problem was the mere glorification of what is, in actuality, a dull drag of a job. It was so over the top as you knew it was going to be just because it was a Cameron Crowe project  and therefore possessed the credulity-fucking, shit-eating-grin he puts on everything ever. But let's get past that obviousness. So many things did not work on this show. #1, the bizarre love life of the main girl. Look, I like Imogen Poots, gorgeous woman. Honestly, only reason I stuck with it to the end. But good lord, none of that made sense. I did not buy for one second the whole will they or won't they between her and Reg. It didn't feel genuine. He appeared to be 20 years older than her. And then they keep dropping that the bass tech likes her too and also Christopher House and none of it went anywhere. It went nowhere. I did not feel like any of these people would actually be attracted to each other in real life. And that was like 40% of the show.

The endless stream of guest stars I guess was the purpose of the show but again, that's ass, my dude. A 24 year old kid who once worked as a grip for Pearl Jam does not get a private audience with John Cougar Mellancamp. It was just all ridiculous. The old guy was stupid. Hated the character. Hated it. Hated that they spent an entire episode with him telling some ridiculous story about Lynard Skynard on a bus. Hated that he died and literally all of rock and roll came out to the funeral of a roadie -- and not even their roadie. Then they mounted him like a stuffed deer and people hugged the body. It was possibly the most insane thing I've ever seen on television.

The rotating string of openers was dumb. Again, the show existed for the purpose of having guest stars but it was ridiculous. That was basically the show: "the structures of a television program about rock music dictates we do _____ despite the fact that _____ never happens in real life." The show was ill conceived.

Honestly -- and this is probably the most Smackie-esque thing I've ever said -- I only stuck with it to the end to see if Imogen Poots would take her top off since it was Showtime. She did not. Instead she told Reg she had never had sex sober which was weird and seemed a little disturbing.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 02:53:06 pm by Julian, the BELOVED »
LVMH

« Reply #1042 on: September 02, 2016, 02:51:37 pm »
Thanks for listening; I feel better now that I got that off my chest.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #1043 on: September 02, 2016, 03:22:53 pm »
I only stuck with it to the end to see if Imogen Poots would take her top off since it was Showtime. She did not.

Good to know.  I'll pass.
27>34

« Reply #1044 on: September 02, 2016, 03:34:53 pm »
I only stuck with it to the end to see if Imogen Poots would take her top off since it was Showtime. She did not.

Good to know.  I'll pass.
At least some good has come from my ordeal.
LVMH

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1045 on: September 02, 2016, 06:08:46 pm »
The whole Roadies episode about Lynard Skynard was clearly a Crowe vanity episode, as he wrote and directed it... It wasn't even a good story about them, should have given up there and then.  and how about the whole episode about saying Cincinnati, who breaks into a house to steal eggs and then leaves when they see a possible dead body on the floor.  the roadies were clearly too young and squeaky clean to believable from the git go.  oh well.. 

not only was the endless music guests annoying, but the "song of the day" montages even worse... plus lots of the old "wise" characters  spouting about bands the young "clueless" didn't know about... oh well again.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 06:25:50 pm by kosmo vinyl »
T.Rex

eltee

« Reply #1046 on: September 03, 2016, 02:08:45 pm »
Hated Roadies. Prayer circle? The banter bw the male and female lead annoying. Should have spent time at 930 club or on tour for more legit roadie experience and it's sad could have been a great story.
Liked Stranger things certain moments of the sci fi I dealt with but I'm not a big sci fi person. Loved the kids. Actually wish there were more set or story detail in regard to that year but enjoyed and music too. Hated Winona's acting and inability to run.
i have no shows to share it's been quiet for me after Stranger Things....much has been recommended all share the theme of violence so im really just looking for a basic drama show or movie to get immersed in....never liked Ray Donovan....nor Cards...or GoT so I am hard to please perhaps.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #1047 on: September 06, 2016, 10:07:30 am »
Could not stop watching Narcos season 2 last night. The direction of episode 5 was great, there is a foot chase that happens and the shots are some of the best of the entire series. In episode 6 they had a steady cam/single shot during a raid and it was great. Can't wait to finish up this season.

My only gripe is how sympathetic they TRY and make the Escobar family? Or are you supposed to not sympathize for them? Pablo is just so delusional and his wife is so enabling that it makes me grit my teeth, but they flip it around and make you feel for them. Maybe it's just damn good TV. I always find myself snapping out of it and saying "No. They're pieces of shit.

OMG Pablo is swaying me too! That bastard!!
‼‼?‼‼

Space Freely

« Reply #1048 on: September 06, 2016, 10:32:06 am »
Two thumbs up on Season 2 of the Affair.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #1049 on: September 06, 2016, 10:38:23 am »
I absolutely loved it all. I think you will like it.

Eggos forever.

I can't believe she went back to Steve.